RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2005 RX330 Aftermarket Stereo Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-17, 10:26 PM
socal3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I need to pull my head unit back out because when I turn up the alpine unit I put In the front speakers sound so distorted. I have no clue why so I may to play with some wires.
Old 10-16-17, 07:31 PM
drinkJava
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldsports
Hello,

I recently installed an aftermarket stereo in my 2005 RX330 (no navigation, no Mark Levinson). I left the OEM amp and speakers in place, using the Metra Axxess interfaces to connect to the OEM amp and steering wheel controls. I also installed a rear camera using a wireless transmitter/receiver combination instead of running a video cable from the rear hatch. There were a number of posts with pieces of information on how to perform this install but nothing comprehensive. I documented my experience in hopes it will help someone. The document includes pictures and detailed instructions.

Attachment 406346
Great post Oldsports, thank you! Planning to do smth similar. Quick Q for you: Since you have wireless backup camera and you connected transmitter to 'reverse white lights' in the hitch, do you experience any time lag with video once you switch to 'Reverse' gear? I'm thinking that it may take some time to synch between transmitter and receiver once you switch the gear.
I'm considering wiring transmitter with ACC (ignition on) and Ground, so it's always 'ready'
Thanks!
Old 09-16-18, 10:30 AM
jelliott01
Driver School Candidate

If you have poor radio reception after installing an aftermarket radio I have discovered through trial and error and research on this site that there is an orange antenna power wire that needs to be energized in order to have decent AM/FM reception. The wire is on the back of the 20 pin plug and runs alongside the antenna cable with the smaller end. I simply bridged the accessory power wire on my new radio and the orange antenna power wire with wire taps. Huge difference! This wire is not addressed with the TOYO-1 kit. Hope this helps someone!
Old 10-27-19, 10:54 AM
MARTINMKHS
5th Gear

Thank you.
Old 07-09-20, 03:04 PM
Ddubaduba
Driver School Candidate

Default Antenna power wire not working as expected

Originally Posted by jelliott01
If you have poor radio reception after installing an aftermarket radio I have discovered through trial and error and research on this site that there is an orange antenna power wire that needs to be energized in order to have decent AM/FM reception. The wire is on the back of the 20 pin plug and runs alongside the antenna cable with the smaller end. I simply bridged the accessory power wire on my new radio and the orange antenna power wire with wire taps. Huge difference! This wire is not addressed with the TOYO-1 kit. Hope this helps someone!
Hi, Just installed a Dasaita android radio, and tried this, but it isn't working properly. I connected the orange wire to ACC. I found out that that caused the radio to not turn off even when I took the key out. (so something in the radio or antenna was causing ACC to be energized even when the car was off). To resolve this I found the connector that runs along the antenna orange wire, and disconnected the connector.

This allowed the radio to finally power down when the key is removed. However now I am getting a check engine light and traction control is showing an error. My guess is that this orange wire does way more than just control the antenna.

I will have to undo every I did, to see if that resolves the problem, but I am guessing that without something to turn on antenna power..... I will be getting bad radio reception.

If anyone has solved this problem please let me know!

Thanks
Old 07-31-20, 05:08 PM
BBrain
Driver School Candidate

Just wondering, I didn't see it in the write up, which stereo did you choose?

thanks
Old 08-02-20, 09:40 AM
Buzzdixn
Driver School Candidate

Oldsports, what a great write up you did...awesome job...really helped alot.
Btw, have u or anybody else on this thread ever used these before?

Amazon Amazon

Thanks again, have a great one & stay safe
Old 08-25-23, 01:42 PM
Oldsports
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Run video cable to hard-wire rear camera

Hello All,

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to share a learning I had. If you've read the early posts, you will see that I talked about the intermittent picture I received occasionally from the rear camera I installed when I replaced my head unit with an aftermarket stereo on my 2005 RX330. I used a wireless camera unit which I suspected was causing the intermittent picture.

A few years later, I performed the same job on my 2005 Mercedes E320. However, when I did this, I ended up hard-wiring the camera instead of using a wireless unit. For this car, I had to run a new radio antenna cable from the front console to the rear of the car because that's where the radio antenna connection is on the E320. When I did that, I ran a video cable alongside the antenna cable. The picture on the rear camera was clear and steady - this convinced me that I needed to do the same thing on my RX330.

Well, I finally got some time on my hands and did the job. I looked around in the forum and other places on the Internet for instructions on how to run the cable from the hatch to the front console. The only one I could find was from someone who did it when they replaced their entire stereo system (including speakers). Since the car was already torn apart, it was easy for them to run the video cable. I used some of their information and figured out the rest for myself. The attached PDF are my instructions for running the cable if you don't have your car torn apart. Hopefully this helps someone.

I included both RX330 and RX350 in the title because I believe the cars are similar enough that the instructions should work for both models. My wife has a 2007 RX350 and I plan to add a hard-wired rear camera to her car using these instructions. If I encounter something significantly different, I will report back.