RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rear wheel hum - Rear bearings at fault?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-16, 07:03 PM
guyrat7
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear wheel hum - Rear bearings at fault?

Hi all,

I suspect my rear left bearing is up for a change as it hums when i drive. Sometimes when i take a bend, i can hear a light thumping noise from the rear end.

I didnt see any threads on DIY bearing change for 2004 rx330. Any one of you have done a bearing change?

Thanks
Old 11-04-16, 10:17 AM
numbafree
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thumping could be a bent hub. take the wheel off and rotate it manually, it will be obvious if the hub is bent.
Old 11-05-16, 11:22 AM
Tomhill312
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem with my 2006 RX400h early this year, only mine was from the right side, when I set off and got up to 60mph there would be the most god awful noise which sounded like the wheel was about to break off, but when I went around a corner there would be a big thump and the car would run normally. Also at low speed I could here the brake screeching at the rear even though my foot wasn't on the brake. Got new brakes all around which half solved the problem but the noise from the rear right wheel was still there. Returned it to my garage (independent) who adjusted the brakes, re balanced the wheels and put now rear tyres on as the old ones were done for, finally they did the tracking as well. In which they broke the AFS sensor so my headlights wouldn't swivel around any more had to pay to fix that as well.. Although happily it did solve the problem and I have had no other problems with the car since then. Surprisingly despite it having a lot of work done it wasn't to expensive, but obviously we didnt really discover the root cause as it appears it was a plethora of problems. My guess would be an issue with the parking brake, which I have been told doesn't need to be on all the time, just on a steep incline etc. as the car will hold it in park, but I still use it all the time anyway as the last thing I would is my Lexus in my living room... If the noise is constant then its likely to be a wheel bearing as my other car just needed a new one done, but that made a higher pitched humming sound. So basically, good luck, or hopefully its better than mine was anyway
Old 11-06-16, 07:36 PM
guyrat7
Rookie

Originally Posted by numbafree
Thumping could be a bent hub. take the wheel off and rotate it manually, it will be obvious if the hub is bent.
Oh is it? Thanks, I will give that a go. So that might be one part of the problem. fingers crossed.
Old 11-06-16, 07:41 PM
guyrat7
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tomhill312
I had a similar problem with my 2006 RX400h early this year, only mine was from the right side, when I set off and got up to 60mph there would be the most god awful noise which sounded like the wheel was about to break off, but when I went around a corner there would be a big thump and the car would run normally. Also at low speed I could here the brake screeching at the rear even though my foot wasn't on the brake. Got new brakes all around which half solved the problem but the noise from the rear right wheel was still there. Returned it to my garage (independent) who adjusted the brakes, re balanced the wheels and put now rear tyres on as the old ones were done for, finally they did the tracking as well. In which they broke the AFS sensor so my headlights wouldn't swivel around any more had to pay to fix that as well.. Although happily it did solve the problem and I have had no other problems with the car since then. Surprisingly despite it having a lot of work done it wasn't to expensive, but obviously we didnt really discover the root cause as it appears it was a plethora of problems. My guess would be an issue with the parking brake, which I have been told doesn't need to be on all the time, just on a steep incline etc. as the car will hold it in park, but I still use it all the time anyway as the last thing I would is my Lexus in my living room... If the noise is constant then its likely to be a wheel bearing as my other car just needed a new one done, but that made a higher pitched humming sound. So basically, good luck, or hopefully its better than mine was anyway
Thanks. I hope it is only the wheel bearing. Yes I started using the parking break often after seeing the size of the peg that holds the car when in park maybe im being too cautious. I think its better to replace the brake than replace part of the car. Gonna check my parking brake as well then. I saw changing rear bearings is quite straight forward since the disc brake unit is not hard to dismantle to reach the bearing unit. well, lets see what I find during the weekend.
Old 11-07-16, 06:39 AM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I did just replace my rear wheel bearings...definitely worn and needed to be replaced. There is some info in this thread......

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l-bearing.html