RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lexuswiz's RX330

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-16, 07:52 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts
Default Lexuswiz's RX330

Hello Club Lexus!

New member and recent owner of a 2005 RX330 AWD.

Finally got my chance at luxury and traded in my old 2001 Highlander for this baby. I have always been a Toyota fanatic and recently jumped over from the ToyotaNation forums. I'll have to say, leather seats are very nice! But in reality, I have always been scared of luxury and my Toyota's have proven affordable, reliable, and wrench-able. Time to step foot into uncharted territory. Unlike my bone stock Highlander, I've decided to put some tasteful mods to it.

Hope to absorb and give a wealth of information as TN has treated me. I hate the dealer and refuse to go there for any reason.

Specs:
~74K miles
White Crystal Pearl
Beige Interior
Navigation w/backup camera
AFS HID lights
18" wheels

Exterior:
Weathertech Dark Tint Rain Guards
Matte Black Nerf Bars
LED plate & reverse lights

Interior:
LED conversion
Viper 2-way Remote Start
Weathertech Floor Liners
Lexus Cargo Mat

More to come!

Thanks for the stopping in, feel free to drop suggestions or feedback. I got a spark plug job and timing belt up soon.

Last edited by Lexuswiz; 01-14-17 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-29-16, 06:41 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Very nice and welcome to the club. Congrats to you. Plenty of DIY resources on this site even for plugs and timing belt. Most major stuff w our cars has been done by members. And you'll find a lot of the highlander maintenence is shared by our vehicles
The following users liked this post:
Lexuswiz (01-02-17)
Old 10-29-16, 12:51 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by alchemist
Very nice and welcome to the club. Congrats to you. Plenty of DIY resources on this site even for plugs and timing belt. Most major stuff w our cars has been done by members. And you'll find a lot of the highlander maintenence is shared by our vehicles
I actually just followed your spark plug guide. MUCH THANKS. Very tedious job but nothing crazy, easier then when my cats failed on my highlander. I also agree but my highlander was a 2.4L 2AZ-FE not the 3.3L 3MZ-FE. But going from timing chain to belt is very different, much quieter and smoother ride.
Old 10-30-16, 07:58 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Remote start completed, here's a short vid:

Old 01-02-17, 07:33 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Finally had some time to play with the Customize options via Techstream, pretty neat. Turned off within the headlights function: annoying DRL and Auto Off Delay as it interfered with my Viper Remote Start.

Lexus is really growing on me, it's been a great car to own as of now.

Old 01-04-17, 11:49 AM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

70K miles on an 04? Wow!

Nice find, looks to be in good condition. What remote start kit is that?
Old 01-04-17, 03:44 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by aachowhan
70K miles on an 04? Wow!

Nice find, looks to be in good condition. What remote start kit is that?
Good on the outside, underside has taken the "rust belt" beating from all the salt we use here LOL

Viper 4706v, very happy with it.
Old 01-14-17, 02:24 PM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Extremely nice find, similar to my newly acquired 05, same color & factory options, fortunately mine lived in California for some time, no rust whatsoever on the undercarriage. Now the SUV lives in the Great White North (Canada), undercoating is a must.
I wanted to post photos but the SUV is way too dirty with sand & salt after a massive snowfall followed by the snow melting. Now at 7 Degrees F too cold to wash the SUV. I may have to wait to March to post photos.
Although I have 137 K miles with no record if the Timing Belt/ Water Pump was done, therefore will have that done this Friday, Spark Plugs were done at 127 K.
Amazing that you have about half the millage at one year older, barely broken in. Congrats & enjoy the ride.
The following users liked this post:
Lexuswiz (01-14-17)
Old 01-14-17, 03:56 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by 05RX330AWD
Extremely nice find, similar to my newly acquired 05, same color & factory options, fortunately mine lived in California for some time, no rust whatsoever on the undercarriage. Now the SUV lives in the Great White North (Canada), undercoating is a must.
I wanted to post photos but the SUV is way too dirty with sand & salt after a massive snowfall followed by the snow melting. Now at 7 Degrees F too cold to wash the SUV. I may have to wait to March to post photos.
Although I have 137 K miles with no record if the Timing Belt/ Water Pump was done, therefore will have that done this Friday, Spark Plugs were done at 127 K.
Amazing that you have about half the millage at one year older, barely broken in. Congrats & enjoy the ride.
Thanks! As you seen yourself it's a great car. Timing belt is also on my list as no records were given but I still have time. Just changed the plugs and gave the intake a good cleaning, what a difference!

I agree, undercoat is a must but I'll have to wait until the spring. I've only blasted the bolts for the nerf bars I installed to make it last.

But, it's actually an '05, I need to change the post. I was under the impression the car was an '04 but the title came in recently and kept forgetting. So we have the same car
Old 01-15-17, 01:54 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Quite a coincidence, same timing for the purchase, same year, colors & options for the RX330.
I purchased the Gates TCKWP257A Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump which seems to have positive reviews, the kit will be installed next Friday. Hopefully I made the right choice to not have any worries for another 90 K, only time will tell.
That's about the only urgent major issue for now, also need to repair the auto Tailgate (functions fine manually), Rear Wiper & Backup Camera Lens appears to be out of focus, perhaps some moisture trapped on the coating of the lens, on the inside.
I will wait for Spring to tackle those minor issues unless a blast of warm temperatures appears before then.
Old 01-15-17, 09:01 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Quite a coincidence, same timing for the purchase, same year, colors & options for the RX330.
I purchased the Gates TCKWP257A Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump which seems to have positive reviews, the kit will be installed next Friday. Hopefully I made the right choice to not have any worries for another 90 K, only time will tell.
That's about the only urgent major issue for now, also need to repair the auto Tailgate (functions fine manually), Rear Wiper & Backup Camera Lens appears to be out of focus, perhaps some moisture trapped on the coating of the lens, on the inside.
I will wait for Spring to tackle those minor issues unless a blast of warm temperatures appears before then.
Keep me posted on the Gates kit, I've bought some parts from them with no complaints but for a timing belt, I try to go OEM Toyota or whoever makes the OEM belt. On the last car I had with a belt, Toyota used Mitsubishi belts, not sure if thats still true.
Old 01-15-17, 10:08 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Between belts/kits used for the Honda 3.5 and Subaru 2.5, I haven't heard of any issues. Water pumps seemed universally mixed, with many saying to go OEM or at least find an Aisin. Again, mixed results. The rest of the Gates kits seem to be very good.
Old 01-15-17, 10:21 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Will do, although I probably drive less than 200 miles a month, nothing is far on this tiny Island.
The millage only changes drastically in summer for long road trips when I photograph professionally in Panoramic Format in other Provinces.
I am actually more concerned about the quality of the Water Pump with kits, the Timing Belt, Gaskets & Tensioner shouldn't really be an issue for quality.
Pleased to hear you personally have nothing against Gates products.
Old 01-15-17, 10:33 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by RedGemini
Between belts/kits used for the Honda 3.5 and Subaru 2.5, I haven't heard of any issues. Water pumps seemed universally mixed, with many saying to go OEM or at least find an Aisin. Again, mixed results. The rest of the Gates kits seem to be very good.
My original Aisin water pump on my Camry was crap so even the OE suppliers are susceptible to defects. They ended up redesigning the pump which I replaced that with eventually... But Honda uses Gates belts? Haven't owned one in ages....

Will do, although I probably drive less than 200 miles a month, nothing is far on this tiny Island.
The millage only changes drastically in summer for long road trips when I photograph professionally in Panoramic Format in other Provinces.
I am actually more concerned about the quality of the Water Pump with kits, the Timing Belt, Gaskets & Tensioner shouldn't really be an issue for quality.
Pleased to hear you personally have nothing against Gates products.
Yeah, nothing personal as they were non-essential parts mostly like hoes and misc. But I changed out a Gates water pump that came with my Camry (bought it used) when it leaked, I'd say the quality wasn't the same as the redesigned Aisin. I'll have to take a peek at the Gates belt vs. Toyota.
Old 01-15-17, 10:52 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

I will be receiving the kit tomorrow, I'll post some photos of the Gates kit with hopefully some brand identification for each individual part.
Most likely it is better to purchase the parts as " the best of " individually, but my wallet says no.

Quick Reply: Lexuswiz's RX330