RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Replacing STOCK stereo? Is the beatsonic kit really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-16, 05:27 PM
PistolPact
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing STOCK stereo? Is the beatsonic kit really necessary?

Hi everyone!

I have a 2007 RX 350, base everything. No navigation, no Mark Levinson, and no DVD Player.

I want to go ahead and install navigation, a backup camera, and some way to get an auxiliary input to my speakers.

I see a lot of people on this forum mentioning the Beatsonic kit, which costs nearly $300. Surely there is a cheaper alternative?

Would the following approach work? If so what must be done for a wiring harness?

For the Receiver/Navigation: Jensen VX7022 [Also considering Kenwood DNX series but a little out of my budget]

(I'm a little concerned about this unit not providing enough power to listen to the system at loud reference volumes ~95db or coloring the sound)

(Could this unit actually power 8 speakers?)

Amazon.com: Jensen VX7022 2 DIN Multimedia Receiver, 6.2" Touch Screen with Bluetooth, SiriusXM (Black): Car Electronics Amazon.com: Jensen VX7022 2 DIN Multimedia Receiver, 6.2" Touch Screen with Bluetooth, SiriusXM (Black): Car Electronics

__
Now, we need a unit to retain steering wheel controls. The jensen unit recommends the following, which is confirmed to work for the rx 350: [PAC SWI-RC]

Amazon.com: PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface: Car Electronics Amazon.com: PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface: Car Electronics

__
Now to choose a backup camera. I haven't really done my research on which is best for placement/clarity, but they all seem to use the same input into the receiver, so it shouldn't matter:

Amazon.com: Esky EC170-08 HD Waterproof Vehicle Car Rear View Backup Camera: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Esky EC170-08 HD Waterproof Vehicle Car Rear View Backup Camera: Car Electronics

__
Now, we need a new dash kit so we can actually install a double din unit:

Amazon.com: Metra 99-8159S Double DIN Dash Kit for Select Lexus RX Vehicles: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Metra 99-8159S Double DIN Dash Kit for Select Lexus RX Vehicles: Car Electronics
__

Assuming everything above is compatible and works as expected, we're left with one problem: The wiring harness.

I cannot, for the life of me, find a wiring harness that fits a 2007 RX 350 and will work with any jensen/alpine/kenwood receivers.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction as to which wiring harness I could use? Will any compatible wiring harness work with just about any receiver?

Short of the wiring harness, is there anything else I forgot to include? (maybe wire connectors and pry tools?) Will all of the parts be compatible with my vehicle?

Hopefully this thread can assist others too, as it seems like most are spending well above $1000 to change out their factory stereos, when a cheaper alternative might exist.

Thanks for any help/input!
Old 05-17-16, 06:04 AM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I've been looking at options and found Crutchfield to be a good source. You might try your system and then ask them some questions. When I pick your radio, it comes up with an install kit that has the wiring plugs, and a new radio bezel.

It also calls out two steering wheel controllers but I don't know if it's both, or an "either one" option.

541SWICP5 and 541SWIRC

Probably ask Crutchfield what is the difference.
Old 05-25-16, 03:28 PM
LophatRX
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You know from what I learned, if you are going to use the stock amplifier you can get one of two boxes, from Axxess. The Ax-adbox1 or another one that I didn't remember off the top of my head. I accidentally bought both. So I have a unused Ax-adbox1, that I would sell to you if you want. It normally sells between $100 - 150 if I recall right. I tried to return it but I didn't do it in the 15 day window, so it has been sitting in my house ever since I ordered it. You would still need to buy the steering wheel interface which is pretty cheap and easy to install. I think I spent less that 250 and got the face plate, the steering control adapter and the other Axxess box, and everything works prefect.
Old 05-27-16, 09:15 PM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

One thing to note about those Metra kits is in my opinion they are very badly designed. The inner lip around the opening for the radio forces you to put the actual radio face about 3/4 in the actual face. It was really annoying for a radio I got and the volume **** was a pain to use. It was so bad I sent everything back to crutchfield and just got an AUX adapter kit from iSimple. The beatsonic has a much more wider and open design which is much nicer. It is stupid expensive but just get the face kit.
Old 06-07-16, 11:30 PM
guyrat7
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2003 rx330 with navi and ML stereo. I read CL forums extensively before making the decision. Since I did not want the stock ML amp, I used the Metra harness.

The metra harness let me use my navi (i dont use the navi but the ac controls are on the same screen so the navi must work) and let me connect the stock harness to my Apline 1-din without chopping off wires.

I did not buy a harness to connect the steering controls to the stereo simply because I did not want it. So the Metra harness lets you plug in steering controls through another harness if required.

Now I have a working Navi, an Alpine 1-din running through external amps to door speakers(which I changed to better quality focal drivers)

since you dont have Navi, it should be easier and cheaper for you to user the harness from Metra rather than beatsonic. It takes a bit of work because you need to find the compatible harness.
Old 06-07-16, 11:36 PM
guyrat7
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Harness I used:

http://www.metraonline.com/part/AX-ADTY01
Old 06-09-16, 05:50 AM
psycle01
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info guyrat7. I plan on doing the exact same thing you did with my 2004 RX330 w/ navi and ML - external amps and new speakers.
Old 06-09-16, 08:15 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Default ..........

Keeping stock amp? You will need a Beatsonic interface unless you wanna hack up your wiring harnesses.

No stock amp? no Stock radio? but still wanna keep the Steering wheel functions? AWSC-1 is a good interface. I have it in the wife's RX and is works great.

Just to re-interrate I know you have covered this but there are different Beatsonic interfaces for different set-ups. i.e. ML radio with Navi, Non-Navi etc.

One more thing to keep in mind that your volume is controlled thru the AMP not the head unit.
But since you plan to gut out your stock radio and amp you don't need to worry about that..lol