RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2008 RX350 volume knob problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-12, 11:26 AM
Hozy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 RX350 volume **** problem

Sometimes the volume **** just moves freely but doesnt change the music volume , is it an easy fix?
Old 07-21-12, 05:40 AM
tadclark
Driver School Candidate

I have had the same problem on a 2007 es 350 (same radio) for years. It just comes and goes. Always starts working by the time I get it to a dealer. They tell me they have never heard of such of thing, but other people have commented on same issue.
Old 08-04-12, 11:11 AM
Foxtop
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem on my RX2007. Just started recently and seems to happen when grandkids are in the car and turning to their favorite FM stations. I'm wondering if it has to do with accepting a call via Bluetooth when on an FM station (normally I listen to Sirius) since that affects the radio. Steering wheel volume still works and **** starts working again later.
Old 08-06-12, 12:41 AM
Moe
Driver School Candidate

Same here, it does that randomly though... I am not sure what is really causing the problem. I tried to turn off and on the system, still not working..after few attempt then works fine... the dealer looked at it and found nothing, then it happened again when I got home.....

Anyone knows whats going on???
Old 09-11-12, 01:29 PM
stevies30
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had the same problem on my '08 RX350. Sometimes, and usually when I first start the car, the volume **** won't control the volume of the stereo but the steering wheel control will. After a few minutes it just starts working again. I've tried turning the stereo on and off and it still won't work. I've even turned the car off and started it back up and it won't work. I leave it alone for a few minutes and the **** starts working again. I have found no rhyme or reason to it but I'm still trying to figure out what's causing it.......
Old 09-11-12, 03:40 PM
Paul1307
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The simple answer is "No, this is not an easy fix." These are not standard "volume controls," but rather a control that is monitored by, and read by the microprocessor that controls the radio, and is probably a software/firmware bug in their code that fails to recognize that the shaft has been rotated. The controls on the steering wheel are another device altogether, and hence, unaffected by the bug.
Old 09-11-12, 05:16 PM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Radio Volume

You have a couple of options.

Put pressure on the **** when turning. Either left or right. See if it that helps.

Live with it. And use the steering wheel volume controls that still work.

Contact United Radio and see what they charge to fix your radio.

www.***********.com/automotive/

Go to the dealer and bring your first born son.
Old 09-11-12, 06:12 PM
Paul1307
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

United Radio might even have firmware fix for the problem! Good idea.

But on putting pressure on the ****? Well, if it works, who am I to argue! Try it and see.
Old 07-25-13, 06:58 AM
Dadikins
Pole Position

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who is having this problem.

A few weeks ago, I purchased a 2008 CPO 400h. Upon delivery, I pointed out that the radio volume **** wasn't working, but the steering wheel control was.

They ended up disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to "reset" the system.

It has been working fine for the next several days. I then updated my maps from U33 (2008/09) to U37 (2012/13). Volume didn't work again. I pushed & held the volume **** - that seemed to fix it.

Then yesterday, the volume wasn't working again. The next time I started the car, one of my CD's automatically ejected, and LOAD was flashing on the radio - then the volume started working.

Weird. Luckily, it is a CPO, so if the problem continues (and am able to get it to replicate while I'm there), I will ask the dealer to replace the radio. But I will ask them the next time that I'm there if there is a firmware upgrade from United Radio that is available.
Old 07-25-13, 10:11 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

No firmware update is going to solve this problem. Is a contact issue. Has either worn out or become dirty/corroded.
Old 07-25-13, 08:12 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

If you pull the ***** off and remove the faceplate for the stereo you should have clear access to volume control itself. You might be able to get a spray of electrical contact cleaner in there to clean things up a bit to see if that helps. Be careful as this is nasty stuff, perhaps today's stuff is not so bad, and you will want to have rags in place to ensure this stuff does not get on anything else.
Old 07-27-13, 08:44 PM
Dadikins
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
If you pull the ***** off and remove the faceplate for the stereo you should have clear access to volume control itself. You might be able to get a spray of electrical contact cleaner in there to clean things up a bit to see if that helps.
Thanks for the suggestion, but since the RX is under CPO warranty, I would rather have the dealer look at when I bring it in for service.

I've noticed other "oddities" with the audio buttons, and I'm wondering if the previous owner spilled anything on the radio - or if it is simply possessed. :-)

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 07-29-13, 10:38 AM
Foxtop
Driver School Candidate

Default Ongoing

My dealer told me I'd have to replace the radio to correct this problem. So not happening. Interestingly the problem corrects itself at least temporarily. The dealer was able to recreate it but then couldn't get it back working. It corrected itself by the next day however. The problem didn't recur at all throughtout the fall, winter or spring, but has now shown up again in the hot summer weather. So I suspect it is something that is affected by heat.

It does come back to working again after an outage so I'm considering it an annoyance, not a catastrophe. Still seems like the dealer should be able to correct it.
Old 08-05-13, 08:26 PM
tadclark
Driver School Candidate

Knock on wood, but this has not happened to me this summer after having it occur each of the last several summers. It has to be the heat as this summer is much cooler where I live.
Old 11-25-15, 09:43 PM
Kimm
Driver School Candidate

Default 07 RX 350 volume problem/trunk button stuck

I got my 07 RX350 in January of 2015. It does this so far only on hot days with the volume ****. It is frozen for about 5 minutes then it will allow me to use it. I have only had 1 time that the steering wheel woud not work either. The frequency this past summer 2015 in MA, was any day over 85 degrees. It did not do it during the severe winter we had at all.
However, the trunk button sticking when it is cold concerns me since there is not a key hole on the trunk. Your only options are, on the front dash below the steering wheel on the left as a button, on your main control key which I call the click-click if you hold the PWR Door button down for a few seconds and the button on the trunk that sticks. Sometimes none of them will open it. It unlocks, tries to open, then just reseals itself and never opens. I am very careful and aware it is sensitive to a blanket or the mats too close to the seal, so that is not the issue.
Does anyone have any suggestions to correct either or both of these issues? Please let me know.
Thanks for you time. I appreciate it.
Kim

Quick Reply: 2008 RX350 volume knob problem