RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New RX350-what to have inspected?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-15, 07:01 AM
plainview
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New RX350-what to have inspected?

My wife will be picking up a new to her 2009 RX350 with 90,551 tomorrow off the used lot at a nearby Toyota dealership. We checked it out last night and the exterior was super clean. The inside was very good also. We both drove the car and did not notice anything abnormal. It was exactly what you would expect from driving a Lexus. The car was advertised as being fully inspected by Toyota ASE mechanics etc. and came back with a clean bill of health. Carfax was clean also. It appears that someone took very good care of this Lexus. When it came time to talk dollars and cents we were able to get the car for what kbb says is private party value in VG condition. The more time I have had to think about it makes me wonder if this is too good to be true. I was wondering if there was anything that I should request be checked out specifically in this vehicle with this mileage??? I was fairly certain this Lexus had a timing chain, so that shouldn't be of a concern but I'm just apprehensive and want to cover all our bases. Also should I request in writing that the car has been inspected and came back with zero issues? Both the listing and the used car sales manager made it a point to communicate that to us. Just wondered this would be a way to hold them to their assessment and give a possible avenue of recourse if necessary. I appreciate any reaponses.

Last edited by plainview; 11-12-15 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Sp
Old 11-12-15, 07:54 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The Lexus is mechanically the same as the Toyota highlander so having a Toyota ASE mechanic check it out is a good thing. You should also register at the Lexus owner's/drivers website. The complete Lexus service history of your vehicle will be there as well as any warranty work or recalls. You will need the VIN to complete the registration.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Old 11-12-15, 08:22 AM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

We've had some fluid leaks with our '07: power steering, engine oil, coolant, and transfer case. A visual inspection of the underside would identify them. Since the dealership is saying it is all good, I would have them back it up with 3 month 3k mile warranty.
Old 11-12-15, 08:30 AM
plainview
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rainbird
The Lexus is mechanically the same as the Toyota highlander so having a Toyota ASE mechanic check it out is a good thing. You should also register at the Lexus owner's/drivers website. The complete Lexus service history of your vehicle will be there as well as any warranty work or recalls. You will need the VIN to complete the registration.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Sweet. Thanks for this. It's the first time I've seen it. It's free I assume and I also assume I can do this with my other Lexus vehicles?
Old 11-12-15, 08:31 AM
plainview
Rookie

Originally Posted by NVAKeith
We've had some fluid leaks with our '07: power steering, engine oil, coolant, and transfer case. A visual inspection of the underside would identify them. Since the dealership is saying it is all good, I would have them back it up with 3 month 3k mile warranty.
Thank you. I will put it out there and see what kind of response I get.
Old 11-12-15, 10:06 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

make sure they have all the recalls done.....welcome to the RX family!
Old 11-12-15, 10:30 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by plainview
Sweet. Thanks for this. It's the first time I've seen it. It's free I assume and I also assume I can do this with my other Lexus vehicles?
Yes it's free and will show all service done at Lexus dealerships. As a note many Toyota dealerships will also post service work done at their shop on the Lexus drivers website. My Toyota dealership does this. I have all work done at Toyota since the closest Lexus dealership is 60 miles away.
Old 11-12-15, 10:47 AM
plainview
Rookie

Originally Posted by kickin8
make sure they have all the recalls done.....welcome to the RX family!
I am going through the service hx as we speak. Thank you. I believe this one was post vvt oil hose that I see frequently because I don't see that. Seems it's had a lot of complaints about the battery going dead and has had a couple of batteries in its life. Most concerning is it appears that it was towed in because of an oil line rupture that has been repaired. Seems someone else in these forums had a similar issue. Wonder how concerned I should be about that. This was a 2 owner vehicle and after it was turned in the 1st time it was sold as a Lexus certified vehicle. Disappointing that these types of things go wrong on these cars. I really do believe they are the best cars on the road. My 2004 es330 was rock solid.
Old 11-12-15, 10:50 AM
plainview
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rainbird
Yes it's free and will show all service done at Lexus dealerships. As a note many Toyota dealerships will also post service work done at their shop on the Lexus drivers website. My Toyota dealership does this. I have all work done at Toyota since the closest Lexus dealership is 60 miles away.
I signed up and this tool is incredible. If you don't mind please see my response above to another post and let me know what you think. Don't know how concerned I should be about an oil line rupture. Most significant item I could fin in the history.

Last edited by plainview; 11-12-15 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Error
Old 11-12-15, 11:05 AM
plainview
Rookie

So it looks like the two biggies are a power steering leak and the vehicle was towed in for a severe oil leak that turned out I be an oil cooler line rupture that has been repaired. Is it possible to get one of these vehicles where things like this don't happen? Don't know whether my perception is skewed because people are more likely to post about their problems. Based on my experience with my old ES I would have never thought these vehicles would have these types of issues. It had 101,000 on it and was trouble free.
Old 11-13-15, 07:51 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

They're not uncommon issues. Don't make assumptions based solely on brand or for an entire brand based on one experience with a specific model. Vehicles within a brand and even specific trims can vary in terms of issues. We had the rack replaced on our 400h and it hasn't reached 60K.

To go back to your OP, if you don't trust the inspection that was done then get your own inspection from a trustworthy service/mechanic. We always have used vehicles inspected by a service or shop that we select before we purchase.