RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2006 RX330 Transfer Case & Rear Differential Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-15, 03:43 PM
5W40
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 2006 RX330 Transfer Case & Rear Differential Oil Change

2006 RX330 AWD 195K km (125K mile)

Routine maintenance at home and no issues

Gear oil study: Study of Automotive Gear Oils
or [PDF] downable: A Study of Automotive Gear Lubes

Transfer Case:Castrol Hypoy C Gear Oil 80W90
Capacity: 0.9L/1qt
24mm socket
24mm crowfoot socket

For the front Transfer case, both drain and fill plug are 24mm, you may need a shallow or crowfoot socket for opening the drain plug as its limited space.it will make job far way easy at least.

Sloped driveway with a ramp, you will have more space for your diy job.Cool down your car or the exhaust pipe may extremely hot!!!

Overview of Transfer case's both plugs

Crowfoot socket

24mm Fill plug first w/normal socket

24mm Drain plug second w/crowfoot socket

One more

Draining out all old oil, it looks not bad actually.

Cleaning both plugs, the drain one has a magnetic core(black), Tighten the drain one first.

Using suction gun pump Gear Oil GL-5 80W90 through the fill hole

Untill the new oil starts dripping from the fill hole, close the fill plug and tighten the fill plug and cleaning with a rag

Done one!

Rear differential:Castrol Hypoy C Gear Oil 80W90

Capacity: 0.9L/1qt
10mm hex socket

Keep truck leveled as same as above mentioned

Overview

A bit tight but still OK, Spray some liquid wrench or WD40 before start, better over night.

Fill plug always first

Drain plug second

Let it run

The drain plug looks dirty with heavy metal debris

The fill plug looks fine

Clean

Clean and tighten the drain plug

Suction gun

Pump new oil until new oil overflow from fill plug, tighten the fill one.

All Done and enjoy your ride for another 100K km!

No towing for sure!

Any benefit?

YES!

The car has developed a noticeable jerk or surge around 55~60kph(35~40mph) depend on the acceleration pedal how hard pressed from many years, not happen all the time, especially a light gas pedal you can feel it at 80% chance, the RPM will drop quick and a jerk/surge will happen.

Reset computer not working, change transmission fluid (T-IV) several time not working,check vacuum tube/line no leaking,new Denso iridium plugs at 190K km not working!

As it is not a big deal but a bit annoying feel when driving, the only left thing I think I can do is change the transmission filter and check seals inside. or maybe a software update from Lexus if available. that is my next plan if I get time.

Before I tell the benefit, there is one thing I think it may not normal, when transfer case fill plug open, there is no old oil comes out, I check around there is no exterior leaking sign, but the rear diff fill plug open, the old oil coming out quickly, maybe the truck level cause that or maybe not.

Well, the good news is that jerk/surge has gone or at least not noticeable after this job done! I have test drive for two days and try every time when the speed around 55~60kph with light/hard gas pedal, Jerk doesn't happen again at least within this two day, so I assume changing both oil solved my issue or may help quite bit at least.

I think this is the biggest benefit I have after this diy job.

Now the car drives smooth as silk if I may say.

Last edited by 5W40; 09-02-17 at 09:50 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 5W40:
Cezary (07-26-21), Chapp (04-28-18), edvinas (11-25-18)
Old 06-19-15, 04:44 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

very nice write up....by the way for you 400h owners that magnetic drain plug is a plus on our CVT tranny. Collects residue very well. It fits the CVT tranny on the 400h RX also.
Old 06-19-15, 10:21 PM
llocur
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, just bought an '06 Rx330, was going to pay to have this done...will do it my self now!
Old 06-20-15, 05:26 AM
dmilklex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A very nice write up and even better, pictures of plugs to unscrew. 2005 RX330 at 135K KMs, I need to change these oil plus tranny fluid. Will do these changes after I have my Rhino Ramps arrived at my door.
Old 07-15-15, 11:47 PM
aricks2
Driver School Candidate

How do you know if your transfer case goes bad. Or the chain inside it stopped working? Am I looking closer to the passenger wheel of center? Was accelerating 35mph and car stopped acceerating. Boom, bad grinding noise. Thought it was my transmission ripping apart but when I get under if, only leak I see is on passenger side of center. Shop said it was transmission but it just didn't feel like it. Any insight?
Old 07-16-15, 09:17 AM
5W40
Driver

Originally Posted by aricks2
How do you know if your transfer case goes bad. Or the chain inside it stopped working? Am I looking closer to the passenger wheel of center? Was accelerating 35mph and car stopped acceerating. Boom, bad grinding noise. Thought it was my transmission ripping apart but when I get under if, only leak I see is on passenger side of center. Shop said it was transmission but it just didn't feel like it. Any insight?
Not sure your issue, but here is the pic where is its location underneath.

White: Passenger side Oil Pan
Blue: Center Transfer Case
Yellow: Driver side Transmission Pan

Last edited by 5W40; 07-22-15 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-16-15, 09:59 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

great write up!

Last edited by kickin8; 07-16-15 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-18-15, 12:21 AM
aricks2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 5W40
Not sure your issue, but here is the pic where is its location underneath.

White: Passenger side Oil Pan
Blue: Center Transfer Case
Yellow: Driver side Transmission Pan
Thanks for the insight. My issue is. .... I'd had NO problems with my transmission. It was raining.... I started the car. Engine was cold. Drove apx 1 mile. I stopped at a stop sign accelerated into a left turn. Engine made it into first, I believe shifting into second or third threw a horrible crunching grinding noise. I pulled to the side of the road and then nothing. Engine is still fine as it turns on and is okay in park and neutral. In drive and reverse will do nothing but grind and shake the car violently. Took it to the shop and they say transmission and differential since it is an all wheel drive.
My impasse is that the only fluid showing is on the passenger side underneath and I had absolutely no hints of a transmission failure. Reverse was fine, shifted through all gears with no trouble. .... it's hard for me to believe that I need a new transmission.
As far as I know, only cars with manual transmissions have gear box. I was thinking maybe it was my transfer case because the way it was grinding. I had my transmission fluids changed maybe 10,000 miles ago. It was dirty but didn't have debris in it.
I haven't run across anyone yet on the forums who had had this same problem.
Please help.
And by the way that was a great picture!
Old 07-18-15, 10:25 AM
5W40
Driver

I wouldn't drive it until it's been on a lift and the source of noise is tracked down

or may first check the transfer case oil as the front differential use the same fluid as transmission does.

Metal grinding noise could be: Inner CV joint, dry transfer case, transfer case bearing, front differential or may just brake system or wheel bearing.

Just my guess.

Last edited by 5W40; 07-18-15 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-18-15, 12:51 PM
aricks2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 5W40
I wouldn't drive it until it's been on a lift and the source of noise is tracked down

or may first check the transfer case oil as the front differential use the same fluid as transmission does.

Metal grinding noise could be: Inner CV joint, dry transfer case, transfer case bearing, front differential or may just brake system or wheel bearing.

Just my guess.
Yeah it definitely needs to have a second opinion. There is no driving to it. ... it won't move when put in grear, just grinds, shakes, and acts otherwise unpleasant.
Thanks for the guesses. Only thing close that kinda sounded like my problem is race cars off the starting line. I knew she was fast but not that fast. :-D
Old 07-20-15, 04:36 AM
jamieZ
Rookie

The old oil coming out of the drain holes looked pretty clean to me. Would this be better to do, say at 200,000 miles? Jamie
Old 07-21-15, 10:29 PM
5W40
Driver

Originally Posted by jamieZ
The old oil coming out of the drain holes looked pretty clean to me. Would this be better to do, say at 200,000 miles? Jamie
Mine looks pretty clean each time(100,000 km), one quart gear oil is a real cheap insurance I think as I already underneath the car.
Old 08-23-15, 01:35 PM
Isentropic
Driver School Candidate

Hello! I just bought the Castrol LS oil, and looking forward to this.
However, has anyone noticed how badly rusted the entire underbody for the RX gets? I recently looked at my RX underbody, while doing an oil/trans fluid change, and was alarmed at the corrosion level there.

I have an 01 Mercedes ML320, and that underbody is still in very good shape.

Last edited by Isentropic; 08-28-15 at 05:45 AM.
Old 08-28-15, 05:41 AM
Isentropic
Driver School Candidate

I just drained-and-refilled the transmission fluid (didn't disconnect cooler lines) on my 08 RX350. Instead of using type WS fluid (new spec for 07+ RX I think), I used around 3.7 qts of Valvoline Maxlife (meets Toyota type IV spec).

Is that ok?

Although there's no noticeable drop in fuel economy, I did notice a slightly rougher shifting. Is this normal, as the trans is adjusting to the new fluid?

Should I just drain it all out again, and refill w/ WS?

Thanks much for the help; I really appreciate it.
Old 08-28-15, 01:40 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts

My mechanic whom worked for Toyota for 10 years before open his own shop, told me that the WS and Type IV are not compatible. I had some type IV from my old SC400 days and he would not use it. Told me to buy the WS for my wife's 08 RX350 and my 08 Avalon.

Valvoline Maxlife are Dexron type, which I use for as power steering fluid on both RX and Avalon.

If I were you, I will do a complete flush out of the Maxlife and refill it with WS, which you cost you at least $9.50 per quart at ebay.

Quick Reply: 2006 RX330 Transfer Case & Rear Differential Oil Change