RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Looking at a one owner clean car fax 2004 RX330

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-15, 08:30 AM
nywatchfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a one owner clean car fax 2004 RX330

Going this sat for final inspection. Car has 90k+ miles. all service by lexus dealerships.

Here is what I asked the used car dealer to email me back after inspection. What else am I missing?

1. Timing belt and water pump. does it need servicing replacement?
2. any cracking on dashboard?
3. How much tread left on tires and wear on brakes?
4. Do all the electronics work? exterior/interior bulbs brake lights headlights etc. sunroof, ac,
5. include all original keys?

thanks for your help guys.
Old 06-02-15, 08:54 AM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You forgot to ask for spark plugs.

Spark plugs should be replaced every 100K miles. They may say it is a bit early for that but you could use it a as negotiation leverage.

You should call Lexus' service department to ask how much is the total cost to replace spark plugs on that vehicle, I would not tell them you are thinking of buying that car from their lot.
Old 06-02-15, 08:56 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus nywatchfan. The timing belt should have been replaced at 90k miles. If you register the vehicle at the Lexus drivers website you can get a detailed description of all work done on the car at Lexus. You will need the VIN. Link below:

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Old 06-02-15, 09:03 AM
nywatchfan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by robbyk
You forgot to ask for spark plugs.

Spark plugs should be replaced every 100K miles. They may say it is a bit early for that but you could use it a as negotiation leverage.

You should call Lexus' service department to ask how much is the total cost to replace spark plugs on that vehicle, I would not tell them you are thinking of buying that car from their lot.
Thanks for this. But the car is priced well and wont last. dealerrater also gave this dealer top scores. they say internet price is best price. I already lost one opp in Long island.
Old 06-02-15, 09:07 AM
nywatchfan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rainbird
Welcome to Club Lexus nywatchfan. The timing belt should have been replaced at 90k miles. If you register the vehicle at the Lexus drivers website you can get a detailed description of all work done on the car at Lexus. You will need the VIN. Link below:

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Awesome tip. looks like belts were inspected but not services/changed.

All done at 99k miles at Lexus dealership
SSC BLC/B0A REPLACE CARPET AND RETENTION CLIPS - SAFETY RECALL BLC TO REPLACE THE DRIVER'S SIDE FLOOR CARPET COVER AND RETENTION CLIPS ON CERTAIN 2004 - 2007 RX 330, RX350 AND RX400H VEHICLES; WASH AND VACUUM AND FILL WITH GAS. - RECALL BLC - 0 PERFORMED SAFETY RECALL BLC

A0M/ALG REPLACE MASTER CYL CUP - HIGHLNDR/AVALON/IS/RX - SAFETY RECALL ALG TO REPLACE THE REAR SEAL OF THE BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER; WASH AND VACUUM AND FILL WITH GAS - RECALL ALG - 0 PERFORMED SAFETY RECALL ALG, BLED THE BRAKING SYSTEM AND TOPPED OF THE BRAKE FLUID. ROAD TESTED THE VEHICLE.

CONDITION INSPECTION INSPECT LIGHTS,BELTS, HOSES INSPECT SHOCKS AND EXHAUST INSPECT STEERING/SUSPE - CONDITION INSPECTION INSPECT LIGHTS,BELTS, HOSES INSPECT SHOCKS AND EXHAUST INSPECT STEERING/SUSPENSION INSPECT BRAKES FRONT - REAR - INSPECT BALL JOINTS & COVERS INSPECT DRIVE SHAFT BOOTS INSPECT EXHAUST AND MOUNTS INSPECT RACK AND PINION ASSY - 99064 TECH PERFORMED SAFETY. DONE..1.0

CONDITION INSPECTION INSPECT LIGHTS,BELTS, HOSES INSPECT SHOCKS AND EXHAUST INSPECT STEERING/SUSPE

And in 2007 at 57k miles they did the 60k mile service
60,000 MILE OR 6 YEAR SERVICE - 58839 60K SERVICE
Old 06-02-15, 11:17 AM
justin1203
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Something changed in their lifestyle for the first 3 years of life going an average of nearly 20k a year, and then only another 30k for the last 8 years.

The CONDITION INSPECTION was likely just on the serpentine belt, not the timing belt.

I think at 11 years old, that timing belt would definitely need to be replaced, and since you're at 100, do plugs same time.
Old 06-02-15, 11:48 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,206 Likes on 956 Posts

I had an '04 and found it to be a great vehicle. The cracked dash issue and foggy/leaking headlights are covered under recall. I understand it's typical for the water pump to go out 70-90k and that the timing belt should be done at the same time. It's labor saving and a broken timing belt will trash the engine. I had mine done that way. Check the A/C system for leaks with dye and UV light. Check the age/condition of spare tire. If original, it's too old to be safe. As you said, it's priced right and you'd hate to lose the car. I would ask for the timing and water pump to be done at 1/2 price and be happy settling for 25% off. Suggest you get a quote from Toyota dealer for the repairs as well so you know a good price when you see it. As you stated, you don't really have much negotiating power/leverage on the price. Good luck.
Old 06-03-15, 07:05 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

By the way spark plugs aren't do until 120k miles....
Old 06-03-15, 01:58 PM
LazarusLng
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nywatchfan
Thanks for this. But the car is priced well and wont last. dealerrater also gave this dealer top scores. they say internet price is best price. I already lost one opp in Long island.
Did you get the car? How much are they going for in your area? I paid just under 12K for an 04 with 92K last fall. Right now I'm seeing them anywhere from 11 to 15K.
Old 07-09-15, 07:18 AM
drivemycar
Rookie

Originally Posted by nywatchfan
Going this sat for final inspection. Car has 90k+ miles. all service by lexus dealerships.

Here is what I asked the used car dealer to email me back after inspection. What else am I missing?

1. Timing belt and water pump. does it need servicing replacement?
2. any cracking on dashboard?
3. How much tread left on tires and wear on brakes?
4. Do all the electronics work? exterior/interior bulbs brake lights headlights etc. sunroof, ac,
5. include all original keys?

thanks for your help guys.
Hi, I'm inspecting a 2004 RX 330 soon. Your post was referred to me by a response to my similar query yesterday. May I ask you what you paid, you said the car had over 90K miles, I assume a NAV, heated seats, moonroof.....thanks!
Old 07-14-15, 01:23 PM
iluvny
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been almost 6 weeks since the op, so I doubt he bought he car. Or, like too many newbies, he got his answers and then bailed.