RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
View Poll Results: Which vehicle would you choose?
2005 Lexus RX330- 95k miles
14.29%
2013 Toyota Avalon- 83k miles
85.71%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Serious dilemma about my RX. Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-15, 02:28 PM
ceejmaster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Serious dilemma about my RX. Need some advice.

So a few years ago, my mom gave me her 2005 RX330. It's always been garage kept and still looks new. It's got 95k miles on it and until now has never had a problem. I recently noticed the steering wheel was making a funny noise and turns out I've got a power steering leak...it needs a new rack and pinion, a $1,000 fix.

I told my parents about it and my dad made me an unexpected offer. He said if I didn't want to shell out the money for the repair, he would trade his car for mine: a 2013 Toyota Avalon (and then he would sell the RX). So the Avalon is 8 years newer than the RX. However, it has 83k miles already from weekly out-of-state business commutes. But aside from the high mileage, it's in great shape and never had any problems.

I'm really torn. Both are very sharp looking cars, both black on black. I've always loved my Lexus and at first couldn't imagine parting with it. But this weekend I drove the Avalon and have to admit it definitely is more fun to drive. It also obviously has updated technology. But it's not quite as comfortable as the RX. Does the added status of the Lexus being a luxury car compared to the Toyota kind of become moot given it's 10 years old?

The fact they're both roughly the same mileage is what's really throwing me for a loop.

I'm trying to figure out 7-10 years from now which car would have been the smartest choice. And i'm really stumped.

I would appreciate any advice. Which car would you choose and why?

Last edited by ceejmaster; 05-27-15 at 07:41 AM. Reason: grammar and added info
Old 05-26-15, 03:26 PM
Band
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like your family misses the RX and possibly you are intrigued by the Avalon. Go with what you want. The Avalon has the best potential for value and reliability as it has newer parts and fewer hours (based on hwy miles).
Good Luck!
Old 05-26-15, 04:11 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Absolutely go with the Avalon. I had a 1998 Avalon up to when I bought the 2007 RX350. It was a great car with zero problems.
Old 05-27-15, 06:22 AM
ceejmaster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Band
Sounds like your family misses the RX and possibly you are intrigued by the Avalon. Go with what you want. The Avalon has the best potential for value and reliability as it has newer parts and fewer hours (based on hwy miles).
Good Luck!
Should have mentioned this in my original post, but actually if I decide to trade cars, my parents will immediately sell the RX. They're retiring and downsizing from 4 cars to 2. So the offer to trade isn't because they want the RX; they're just trying to help me out and do something nice.

If the Avalon didn't have so many miles on it already, the decision would probably be a lot easier for me. But as it is I'm trying to ask myself which one I really want and I honestly can't figure it out. My heart loves my RX, but my brain is questioning if, as you said, the Avalon would make the most since down the road as far as value.
Old 05-27-15, 07:21 AM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally I would keep the RX.

The RX has fewer miles per year than the AVALON; 83K miles on a 2 years old car = 41.5K miles driven per year, although it's a Toyota and can easily go another 100K miles. But that also goes for the RX, if well maintained it can also go another 100K miles.

There is so much more that you can do with the RX in terms of cargo space. The cargo area in the back of the RX with the rear seats folded down is very convenient.
We have 2 cars sedan 4 doors (A Toyota Corolla and a Mercedes) we like both cars but when it comes to cargo the RX has much more to offer. Also, I installed a hitch receiver to the RX and use it for a bike rack ( we enjoy road biking) and also to tow a boat, something that you may not be able to do with the Avalon. On a daily basis we both drive the cars, the RX stays in the garage and only driven on weekends and for long trips, we enjoy the extra room, and smooth ride. On a yearly basis the RX is driven about 7K miles.

In terms of maintenance there are few items the RX is going to need soon, in addition to the PS rack (spark plugs -100K miles, timing belt, water pump).

Can you keep the RX and still get the Avalon?. You can use the RX to drive it over the weekend and the Avalon as your daily commute like we do?.
Old 05-27-15, 08:55 AM
LazarusLng
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the car actually leak a noticeable amount of power steering fluid? Are you having to add fluid? When do you notice the noise, and does it disappear after its warmed up?
Old 05-27-15, 09:35 AM
ceejmaster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LazarusLng
Does the car actually leak a noticeable amount of power steering fluid? Are you having to add fluid? When do you notice the noise, and does it disappear after its warmed up?
I noticed the issue last month, and actually the noise was the opposite: it occurred after the car had warmed up, and only at slow speeds or when parked. The mechanic I went to said it was impossible for him to determine the severity of the leak, so he refilled the fluid and a month later no noise and it hasn't leaked a noticeable amount.

However aside from the inevitable rack and pinion repair, I did not think about the upcoming maintenance it will need (timing belt, water pump, etc...)

Last edited by ceejmaster; 05-27-15 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-27-15, 09:37 AM
ceejmaster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by robbyk
Can you keep the RX and still get the Avalon?. You can use the RX to drive it over the weekend and the Avalon as your daily commute like we do?.
Unfortunately not an option. I've just started "real world life" (recently graduated, first career job, now paying my own bills)...so financially unable to keep them both.
Old 05-27-15, 10:05 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The miles per year don't really mean anything, as long as the car was taken care of. To throw $1,000 at an older model is silly, especially when you're getting a newer and nicer car that gets better gas mileage and is almost worth almost double what the RX is worth. Plus, you're talking about a 10 year old car. What else is going to fail next: Water pump, struts, wheel bearings, having to replace the timing belt etc. No thanks.

The luxury thing really doesn't apply to something like a RX330. Sure it's nice, but it's 10 years old.

Last edited by NickTee; 05-27-15 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-27-15, 10:36 AM
justin1203
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While I agree with robbyk that the cargo area on an RX is more versatile than a sedan, you have to ask yourself how often are you needing that extra space.

Previous gen Avalon was dull, however, considering it is the latest gen Avalon, it's def worth your time to consider it, styling is really sharp. There is a lot more technology as you pointed out, and the mileage doesn't mean as much CONSIDERING how new it is.

And to answer your question "Does the added status of the Lexus being a luxury car compared to the Toyota kind of become moot given it's 10 years old?"

...IMO, yes, if in-fact that's all you're going for.
Old 05-27-15, 05:29 PM
LazarusLng
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ceejmaster
I noticed the issue last month, and actually the noise was the opposite: it occurred after the car had warmed up, and only at slow speeds or when parked. The mechanic I went to said it was impossible for him to determine the severity of the leak, so he refilled the fluid and a month later no noise and it hasn't leaked a noticeable amount.

However aside from the inevitable rack and pinion repair, I did not think about the upcoming maintenance it will need (timing belt, water pump, etc...)
I wouldn't worry about replacing the rack. It might go for a long time with next to no leakage...

If I were given the choice you have, I would probably take the avalon.

The Avalon with that many miles is not worth double the rx btw. The RX is worth around 14 - 16K assuming its a AWD. Looks like the Avalon is 16K-18K based on a quick search of car gurus.

Last edited by LazarusLng; 05-27-15 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-28-15, 11:05 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

However, it has 83k miles already from weekly out-of-state business commutes. But aside from the high mileage, it's in great shape and never had any problems.
Generally speaking, highway miles are preferable. That said, miles aren't anywhere near as important as the care and maintenance of the vehicle.

Does the added status of the Lexus being a luxury car compared to the Toyota kind of become moot given it's 10 years old?
Your call to make. Status doesn't come from a brand IMO and it wouldn't be a consideration for me.

My heart loves my RX, but my brain is questioning if, as you said, the Avalon would make the most since down the road as far as value.
I don't recommend using "value" down the road. Go with the one you want. Neither of them is an investment.

Last edited by takeshi74; 05-28-15 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-30-15, 05:57 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 2005 RX330 with 98k miles. The only problem has been the rack & pinion (R&P) at 85k miles and a few recalls that I didn't pay for. No other issues with the car and it runs like new. I also gave it to my son and I trust it to get him home. The maintenance is up to date meaning the timing belt has been replaced. If your maintenance is up to date, then I'd keep the RX. If not, then the Avalon because you need the timing belt and the R&P. Look at tires too. Either car could need tires and cost you another $800. FYI, Virginia inspection won't pass a car with a leaking R&P. Not sure about FL.

Good luck in the real world and congratulations on graduation.