RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Best Treadlife Tires for RX330: Goodyear vs. Bridgestone vs. Michelin

Old 02-28-15, 07:31 AM
cdmajoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Treadlife Tires for RX330: Goodyear vs. Bridgestone vs. Michelin

Hi all,

My Michelin MXV4 S8 99V 235/55R18 tires are reaching end of life after ONLY 45K miles even after very good maintenance (tire rotation every 4K miles + tire air pressure checks monthly)... Costco claims these Michelin tires NEVER came with mileage warranty, so they can't give me any prorated cost reimbursement.

So, I've been actively looking for BEST TREADLIFE tires with Good Mileage Warranty (>65K miles). In this forum and other places, I've read up that the following tires are well reviewed and long lasting -- What's your favorite pick and experience with each of these?

The 3 tires below all have good reviews/warranty on Tirerack -- Would you all please chime in with your Answers to my Questions below and your reviews for EACH tire you've tried on your RX?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...55&diameter=18

Also, these make the "list" on Consumer Reports:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...s-overview.htm

1. Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus (422 Ecopia have POOR Treadlife)
-->Best overall ratings... 600 AA and 75K mile warranty, unbeatable..
Q1) Isn't this a Firestones brand? How does it compare with Top tier, i.e. Michelin / Goodyear / Pirelli, etc, next tier down OR on par?
Q2) What's the Difference vs. "Alenza Serenity Plus" (w/o Dueler H/L)?

2. Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring
--> Good rating BUT Braking /Wet performance is Avg at best on ConsumerReports... main concern.

3. Goodyear Assurance CS TripleTred All-Season
--> 600AB and 65K mile warranty, decent...
Q3) This one has BOTH braking perf AND Long treadlife, so what's the difference vs. ComforTred Touring, isn't this a much better pick IF I were to go with Goodyear?

4. Michelin Primacy MXV4 99V
Q4) Looks like these have really good reviews and treadlife BUT these DON'T come in 235/55R18 sizes? I'd prefer to try a non-Michelin brand this time anyway...

Q5) Lastly, these tires are all "V" rating -- Does "H" ratings really matter When I don't drive >120MPH nor in harsh weathers ? (I live in sunny SF Bay, CA and rarely go skiing...)

Q6) ANY OTHER Top Tier (good quality, treadlife, safety) tires you'd recommend, and WHY?

I'm trying to decide by early next week (3/2 ish), so I'd really appreciate your inputs. Thanks everyone!
Old 02-28-15, 07:38 AM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

We are coming up on 200,000 miles on our RX330 AWD and no tire (to include Bridgestone Alenza Dueller, Goodyear ComforTred, Michelin MXV) have made it past 40K ... in fact, a few sets needed replacing at 35K. My approach has been to ensure the tire has a treadwear warranty as it helps with the cost when it comes time to replace in another 35K.

Will see how the current set of Bridgestone Dueller H/L 422 Ecopia's wear. Keep in mind, Bridgestone has an Ecopia 422 and Dueller H/L 422.
Old 02-28-15, 08:11 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus cdmajoo. There are many threads here on tires. We have an excellent search function on this forum. Almost any topic on the RX has been discussed previously. Here is a link on tires with numerous replies.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...e-choices.html
Old 02-28-15, 09:20 AM
RX3302004
Pole Position

I had Duelers on another SUV and they didn't last long. I had another line of Bridgestones on a sports car and they didn't last 30k (I'm sure in part b/c they couldn't be rotated due to different sizes). Not a fan.
Goodyear has been the longest lasting tire for me on other vehicles.
I have at least 1 thread on this forum about having Michelin Latitude Tours on both of my SUVs now. So far so good.
Old 02-28-15, 01:58 PM
cdmajoo
Driver School Candidate

Rainbird,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I did already see that other popular thread but still really couldn't get consistent takeaways on which tires have the best Tread life and MPG, so I thought I'd start this new thread to specifically get some reviews/insights from fellow LC's.

RX3302004,

Thanks for sharing your experience. When you say "Duelers", which specific model tires gave you such short tread life (<30K miles)? Bridgestone Dueller H/L Serenity (NOT Plus) or perhaps Turenza?

Now, I did take away from the other thread the following -- which makes these 3 the top runner for my pick based on which now leaning heavily towards 1) but I'd certainly like other CL reviews:

1) Bridgestone Dueller H/L 422 Ecopia

This IS the most popular, widely acknowledged overall All-season tire with Long-Tread life (5+ yrs) & Warranty (65K). I didn't even include this on my candidate list BUT I just realized that the BAD (WORST) reviews out there (Consumerreports, forums, etc.) were for Old "EP422 Ecopia" NOT the New "Dueller H/L 422 Ecopia" that practically everyone seem to like...

-Good Tread life & Warranty: UTQG 600AA, 65K miles/5-yrs (V-rated), Tread Depth 12/32
-Good MPG (19~20 for RX330)
-Low Rolling Resistance

* Dislikes:
-Very New tire, not enough Usage Data out

2) Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus

Another take-away was that this tire is also DIFFERENT vs. Old "Turanza Serenity" which did NOT have Low Rolling Resistance AND was very heavy (low MPG)...

-Excellent Tread Life & Warranty: UTQG 600 AA, 75K miles/5-yrs (V-rated), Tread Depth 12/32
-Solid, quieter drive
-Low Rolling Resistance

* Dislikes:
-Lower MPG (Heavier!)
-Some Noise after 15K miles

3) Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring

Overall good rated, reviewed tire but Older model.

-Excellent Tread Life & Warranty: UTQG 640 AB, 70K miles/6-yrs (V-rated), Tread depth 11/32
-Decent MPG
-Low Rolling Resistance

* Dislikes:
-Not good on wet, snow
-LOUD noise...

Any more inputs / reviews esp. on my above points, agree? disagree? Anyone? Looks to me that 1) is the clear winner here when it comes to tread life although a bit risky given how new it is...

Thanks!
Old 02-28-15, 05:43 PM
RX3302004
Pole Position

I'm not sure of the model of the Duelers that I had on my SUV. The sportscar tires I had weren't Duelers.
Old 03-02-15, 07:34 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RX3302004
I had another line of Bridgestones on a sports car and they didn't last 30k
You can't compare sports car (summer) tires with all seasons for vehicles like the RX. I'm lucky to get 20K on any tire with either of our sports cars. The rubber on summer tires wears faster and it's not unusual for RWD sports cars to wear out the rears nearly twice as fast.
Old 03-02-15, 12:10 PM
RX3302004
Pole Position

Originally Posted by takeshi74
You can't compare sports car (summer) tires with all seasons for vehicles like the RX. I'm lucky to get 20K on any tire with either of our sports cars. The rubber on summer tires wears faster and it's not unusual for RWD sports cars to wear out the rears nearly twice as fast.
I had Goodyear Eagles on a Corvette and they lasted a lot longer than the Bridgestones. I'm 0 for 2 with that brand.
Old 03-04-15, 08:56 AM
rxpx40
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my wife's '04 RX 330 hit 89K, I had to replace the Goodyears that were on the car. I don't recall what model they were. I put the Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas on since they got good reviews here. Best tire ever for that car. Quiet, stable, had fair wear. At 150K it was time to replace those and they were no longer readily available at discount. They convinced me to buy a set of Michelins (I will have to check my records on which model tonight) but these tires SUCK. They are so noisy above 45 mph the car sounds like a airplane preparing for takeoff. Now the car is at 180 and these Michelins look like they are getting to the end of their life.
Old 03-11-15, 10:50 AM
sgmstr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I can say for sure is that my caddy escalade is currently wearing 22 inch Bridgestone Dueler Alenza (not plus). It came with the car since I bought it and it currently has nearly 80K miles and it looks it still has at least 5k miles left. Of course, rotation every 5K miles.

What it lacks, however, is the handling especially at high speed. These tires are much stiffer than the most other brands and I figure that's how they last longer and I think they have 75K mile warranty (but i'm not so sure). You noticed that the temperature/traction rating is B on that tire.

If you're not going to drive your RX like a sports car, I recommend that you get one. Otherwise think about this (http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...details?REDR=1). The michelin is about $25 more per tire and costco sells both brands in my area.

hope this helped.