RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

15 L/100 km / 15.68 MPG

Old 02-24-15, 04:07 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my latest experimenting was more or less that

currently the roads are plowed pretty well, so not very much of driving through snow. its mainly to and from work, which is 7.5km

i reset the ECU on the weekend (disconnected battery negative cable for 5 min)

i am up to 22 L/100km

i swung by canadian tire and bought a bottle of CataClean (reviews seemed decent) i dont expect a whole lot from a bottle, but figured what the heck

i also went by a local garage i trust, and spoke with them. there isnt anything they could do that i havent

at this point, i just ride the wave, trying things here and there, and reassess fully in the spring when winter gas is gone, and "summer" tires are back on

I keep praying for the engine light to come on so i can replace which ever part is toast. if its the converters thats fine, i just cant throw parts at it when they are that expensive.

Last edited by kiwi; 02-24-15 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-25-15, 10:43 AM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

According to the on board computer I am getting 15.6 MPG City driving and 23.6 Highway Miles on my RX330, which is pretty good, after reading all of the posts in this thread. I have been using Super Unleaded, which might help.

About a month or so Lexus replaced the fuel damper, do not know if this helps in any way to improve gas mileage.

Last edited by robbyk; 02-26-15 at 05:35 AM.
Old 02-25-15, 11:02 AM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pablo87

Finally, I tried 4 things and now I have better mpg. Which one did the trick I can't say exactly:

#1 liqui moly MOS2 in the oil - moly additive. Definitely quieted the engine.
#2 liqui moly Ventil Sauber - valve cleaner in the tank. Felt like better mpg right after.
#3 liqui moly jectron - fi additive in the tank. Butt dyno says no improvement.
#4 toyota 0w20 synthetic oil - felt quieter, smoother when cold. Possibly better mpg.

I get the Liqui Moly stuff from Napa in the States.
I was wondering if this stuff really helps to reduce friction in the engine "liqui moly MOS2 in the oil".
Old 02-25-15, 02:23 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi
i reset the ECU on the weekend (disconnected battery negative cable for 5 min)
You need to leave it for longer time (at least 30 min0 to reset the ECU.....
Old 03-05-15, 06:15 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

so, last night i disconnected the negative battery terminal for well over 1 hour.

since pouring in the CataClean last week i havent noticed too much (not that i am really expecting to)

i gassed up today (been a while) the distance to empty was 15 km. i pumped 63 Liters, and drove 292km since last fillup.

which equals 21.5 L/100km which equals approx. 11 MPG for the americans on here. The roads have been half decently plowed, bare pavement for the most part and i have been taking it easy with the driving.

so the plan for this tank: i have researched some "hyper miler" driving tactics which i intend to employ, more coasting, more anticipating etc. in an effort to really eliminate my driving as a variable.

in case anyone is wondering, there is very little dead weight in the car. snow scrapper in trunk, jumper cables, the ball hitch, and the spare tire, maybe a few other small things.
Old 03-09-15, 06:31 AM
pablo87
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by robbyk
I was wondering if this stuff really helps to reduce friction in the engine "liqui moly MOS2 in the oil".
Absolutely. You can tell on cold start.

But I've stopped using it on the RX330 because I found that using Toyota OW20 oil only, I get better acceleration and same fuel economy. I can put up with the noise.

Liqui Moly makes good stuff but admittedly I kind of went overboard with it. Once in a while fuel injection stuff, the valve cleaner (ventil sauber) is useful.
Old 03-09-15, 07:15 AM
pablo87
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kiwi
so, last night i disconnected the negative battery terminal for well over 1 hour.

since pouring in the CataClean last week i havent noticed too much (not that i am really expecting to)

i gassed up today (been a while) the distance to empty was 15 km. i pumped 63 Liters, and drove 292km since last fillup.

which equals 21.5 L/100km which equals approx. 11 MPG for the americans on here. The roads have been half decently plowed, bare pavement for the most part and i have been taking it easy with the driving.

so the plan for this tank: i have researched some "hyper miler" driving tactics which i intend to employ, more coasting, more anticipating etc. in an effort to really eliminate my driving as a variable.

in case anyone is wondering, there is very little dead weight in the car. snow scrapper in trunk, jumper cables, the ball hitch, and the spare tire, maybe a few other small things.
Your fuel economy shouldn't be this bad. I get 18mpg city. Updated my findings:

1) the fuel injection additives I couldn't tell if it helped or not.
2) Liqui Moly valve cleaner seemed to help - I've poured in 3 bottles into the tank over the last 10K. $5-6 a bottle. Cataclean seems to be similar stuff.
3) MOS2 doesn't seem to help - just quiets the engine.
4) Italian tuneup - accelerating from idle to 4000rpm 15-20 times over the course of a gas tank seemed to help.
5) Toyota OW20 synthetic oil (with Toyota oil filter) has made a difference.
6) a lot of idling - intentional or not - will kill the fuel economy on the RX.
7) Of note, accelerating slowly (2000rpm) or quickly (2500rpm), makes no difference.

Also, have you looked at the oil control valves (cleaning the filter, replacing them)? Somebody posted a DIY in the RX300, seems like an interesting avenue. I'm not in a rush to do mine because my fuel economy is back to normal after doing the above.

One thing I should mention before doing the above, my RX was sluggish. Not anymore (you don't seem to have that problem).

Hope this helps. Keep us updated.
Old 03-09-15, 03:06 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Did you figure out anything on datalogging the fuel trims? Are they way off?

Feel free to send me a data log if you can.
Old 03-17-15, 04:38 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Update,

i have been babying to and from work etc. driving very easy and smooth and anticipating red lights etc.

the temp is also up quite a bit, spring thaw and all -8 - plus 5 Celsius.

so far this tank (about 90km in) i am doing 15.4 L/100km

So an improvement. it should still be much better. but once the winter gas goes, and the summer tires get put on, hopefully i will see 12's.
Old 09-10-22, 10:57 PM
jayboydog
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gitchiesus
Keep us updated. I too wondered about my gas mileage. I think last tank I was right around the same. I noticed I got 305kms on one tank. That was on regular fuel from only shell. Yes it's been very cold here in Canada, so it did idle a bit longer than normal.
So next tank, I filled up with premium to see if there is any difference. Off the hop, the computer said driving range was 392kms....that is less than what regular gas said previously(409). Weird.
I've got about 70kms on this motor it's an 04.
Only thing I can think of this car has a really small gas tank. Smaller than my Audi A4 and tiguan.
how does one calculate MPG by thinking of tank full amount of gas? I always note mileage and how much gas I buy. Calculate miles travelled divided by quantity of fuel bought. Over extended period, use total miles travelled divided by sum of gallons of gas bought.