RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2008 rx 350 oil change issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-14, 06:07 PM
mikezy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 rx 350 oil change issue

I just did my first oil change to my 08 rx 350. There is no leaking under the filter or boot, but I found there is something leaking close to the right passenger tire. So I put a white paper under the leaking spot during the night and found some yellow oil-like stuff next morning. I guess it is engine oil. I only put 6 qt in the engine, but when I check the oil level, it seems above the max point. So it seems it is leaking because I put too much oil into it. I am not sure whether it is the case. Please advise what I should do next. Thanks!
Old 08-01-14, 12:53 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Is yours a FWD or AWD?
Old 08-01-14, 07:26 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Drain some.
Old 08-20-14, 12:28 AM
JJsRX350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2008 RX350 as well. Let me know what you find out,
Old 08-20-14, 08:46 PM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems like a strange issue. Where is it leaking from exactly? With the oil filter change, it should take 6.4 quarts. However, some have noted that theirs takes more like 5.4, rather than the 6.4.

I would wipe the leaking spot clean, and drive the car for a little bit, and then check the oil level and the leaking area again. If the oil level drops and you need to add more, go ahead and add until 6.4 quarts as needed, drive the car a little bit, and then check the dipstick and the leaking area again. If you add 6.4, and you find that it is still leaking, and you have to add significantly more than 6.4 quarts total, then I would start worrying about it. However, it's really hard to say what exactly is going on without the car in front of me, or knowing where it is leaking from. Pictures of the leaking area would help identify what is leaking if you don't know what part is leaking.
Old 08-21-14, 08:28 AM
gundy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikezy
I just did my first oil change to my 08 rx 350. There is no leaking under the filter or boot, but I found there is something leaking close to the right passenger tire. So I put a white paper under the leaking spot during the night and found some yellow oil-like stuff next morning. I guess it is engine oil. I only put 6 qt in the engine, but when I check the oil level, it seems above the max point. So it seems it is leaking because I put too much oil into it. I am not sure whether it is the case. Please advise what I should do next. Thanks!
If the fluid is actually yellow and relatively clear, then it probably isn't motor oil (unless it spilled when you were adding it). Once the motor oil gets in the reservoir, it mixes with the residual oil and surfaces and turns dark pretty quickly. Since buying my 2005 RX330 a short time ago, I found out there is a leak issue with the steering rack on the RX models, most common on 04-05 models. I asked the service guy at our local Lexus dealer, and he said it happens all the time and at the same location (passenger side where your leak is). He said they're surprised a recall was never issued for it and are still waiting for one. I guess it's not a serious enough safety issue for Lexus to do so but still poor on Lexus's part. I believe it's in the $1000-1500 range to get fixed. Good luck.

Last edited by gundy; 08-21-14 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-21-14, 08:44 AM
gundy
Rookie

Did some more investigating on this and it does look like it most likely is a power steering rack leak. Check this out:

http://autorepair.about.com/od/gloss...m#step-heading

It is an article about identifying fluid leaks from cars and this is how it describes power steering fluid: "Power steering fluid is a slightly yellowish liquid that is of medium thickness, kind of like cheap waffle syrup compared with water. It soaks into concrete quickly. It has very little smell but a keen nose will detect a dull, mechanical scent. It is a hydraulic fluid."

Last edited by gundy; 08-21-14 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-21-14, 08:48 AM
gundy
Rookie

Originally Posted by gundy
Did some more investigating on this and it does look like it most likely is a power steering rack leak. Check this out:

It is an article about identifying fluid leaks from cars and this is how it describes power steering fluid: "Power steering fluid is a slightly yellowish liquid that is of medium thickness, kind of like cheap waffle syrup compared with water. It soaks into concrete quickly. It has very little smell but a keen nose will detect a dull, mechanical scent. It is a hydraulic fluid."
May also be brake fluid which is nearly identical to power steering fluid but slightly less yellow in color. Check the reservoirs for each fluid and try to match the color of the leaking fluid. Also, check their fluid levels and monitor them.

Last edited by gundy; 08-21-14 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-21-14, 09:24 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gundy
Did some more investigating on this and it does look like it most likely is a power steering rack leak.
Sorry, gundy... you did not do enough investigating. If you had bothered to open the Lexus RX Owner's Manual you would see that they do not use a traditional power steering fluid. Rather, it uses a DEXRON II/III ATF which is red. Anyone using a traditional power steering fluid in an RX is in for a world of hurt. This is nothing new and has been discussed at length and many times here at Club Lexus and 2nd Generation RX.

From the 2008 Lexus RX350 Owner's Manual:

2008 rx 350 oil change issue-screen-shot-2014-08-21-at-12.08.40-pm.png

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_04_03.pdf

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_06-01.pdf

"No points this round..."

There was a disturbance in the Club Lexus force crying out for correction. Now, excuse me while I disappear and go back to my online vacation.
Old 08-21-14, 09:54 AM
gundy
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Sorry, gundy... you did not do enough investigating. If you had bothered to open the Lexus RX Owner's Manual you would see that they do not use a traditional power steering fluid. Rather, it uses a DEXRON II/III ATF which is red. Anyone using a traditional power steering fluid in an RX is in for a world of hurt. This is nothing new and has been discussed at length and many times here at Club Lexus and 2nd Generation RX.

From the 2008 Lexus RX350 Owner's Manual:

Attachment 339686

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_04_03.pdf

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_06-01.pdf

"No points this round..."

There was a disturbance in the Club Lexus force crying out for correction. Now, excuse me while I disappear and go back to my online vacation.
Thanks for the correction RX. However, you can't be sure that somebody didn't drain and fill the power steering reservoir with non-OEM/recommended fluid that IS yellowish. And I wouldn't be surprised if the steering rack hasn't already been replaced. Seems like most of these (initial) rack issues appear in the 60-80K mile range. mikezy might know those answers.

mikezy--on that note, check out the service/maintenance history for past issues. If you can get one from a Lexus dealer, it will be MUCH MORE detailed than anything else you can get on-line (e.g., CARFAX).
Old 08-21-14, 03:59 PM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with RX330inFL. The OEM power steering fluid is Toyota Dex 3, which is in fact red. However, the stuff that you get from an auto parts store is going to be yellow. I wouldn't run anything but Toyota Dex 3 in it, seeing as how many R&P problems people are having with this car.