RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

clicking sound after trying to remove rear rotor with parking brake on.

Old 07-22-14, 04:16 PM
mitch1927
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question clicking sound after trying to remove rear rotor with parking brake on.

2007 RX350 AWD

Hello all and thank you for the wealth of information that I have consumed from this forum.

Now, before you call me a moron...I'm already aware of that status. I've replaced front brakes and rotors many times but only rear brakes twice, but still should have had better sense on this one. Here's what happened...

As expected it was hard to get the rear rotors off, so I used the counter screw holes. However, because I had the parking brake on, it "unstuck, but was still held on by something. It wasn't until I kept turning the screws until they stripped and the rotor was still hanging on the wheel hub (though at an angle) that I realized that the parking brake is probably holding on to it. Sure enough, I disengaged the brake and the rotor came off with ease.

In the process of trying to get the rotor off with the ebrake on, I bent the spring pin holding the ebrake in place (not the straight one, but the one with the u-shape in it. I was able to bend the pin back into place and got it put back together so that the spring cap doesn't stick out any more than it's twin on the other side of the wheel (it does not come close to rubbing against the wheel hub.

I replaced the brakes and rotors which went well from there. However, there is a loud clicking/bumping sound with each wheel rotation coming from that same wheel (left rear). I took the wheel and rotor off and the ebrake spring is still in place and not at risk of hitting anything upon rotation. The parking brake pad is firmly in place against the surface behind it as it should be and nothing is floating loose or seems out of place. It could have nothing to do with the ebrake, in fact I could have damaged something else in my effort to "force" the rotor off with the ebrake engaged.

Any thoughts on what this could be? I suspect something to do with the ebrake, but not sure about that.

One more thing, there is some play when turning the wheel hub, not by grabbing the 3 and 9 positions and rocking it (that is tight as it should be), but if I can turn the hub clockwise or counter clockwise just a fraction of a turn (5 degrees maybe) without it turning the whole axle, etc. This may be normal, but just checking.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by mitch1927; 07-22-14 at 04:23 PM. Reason: forgot something