RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Aftermarket car kit (Vaistech or GTA Car Kit) draws power after car is shut down?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-14, 03:04 PM
dshenmdyn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket car kit (Vaistech or GTA Car Kit) draws power after car is shut down?

Anyone has experience with their after market car kit (for iphone integration) continue to draw power from the radio/battery AFTER the car is shut off and key removed from ignition?

I have a 2008 RX350 without navigation. Recently, I ordered a GTA Car Kit directly from their website. The first kit I received had defect with the wire harness that caused the ipod NOT stopping playback when the car was shut off. After long hours of troubleshooting and trying with different iOS device, they shipped me a replacement.

The new kit seems to work better. However, I found the connected iPod still in charging mode even after the car was shut off and key removed. Even after 30 minutes (long after the headlights and internal doom lights have dimmed and turned off automatically), the car kit still seems to supply power to the iPod. By then, the iPod was fully charged but it still seems to be getting power from the 30pin cable.

Since there isn't any indicator on the car kit unit itself, I can't tell if it is ON or OFF. The iPod became sort of an indicator.

I worry the unit may drain the car battery empty if the car isn't driven for several days (such as left at airport parking lot).

Does anyone has any experience with any brand of aftermarket car kit installed on this generation of RX? Does your kit unit turn off (if you have a way to tell whether it's on or off)? Or, does you kit continue to charge the iPod after car is shutting down?

thanks.
Old 05-15-14, 09:51 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I've got a GTA Car kit on my Honda Accord DD. I noticed it keeps the power on after I shut the car off, but only for about 2 minutes. After that, it shuts off. I've been happy with my kit, no issues at all.
Old 05-15-14, 03:59 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Weird. I can not imagine that it can draw. Still possible though.