RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rear Bumper paint spider Web

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-14, 09:37 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kevs98GS4
No reason what so ever to replace the step pad. It will pop right out and from the pic doesn't show any problems with it. Save $90 right there.

Yes I get bumpers painted here in Atlanta all the time for $150-200. I run a dealership. Call my bluff anytime you want and I can produce receipt after receipt of proof. And yes they paint the whole bumper not just the corner.
The step pad is glued on, so it doesn't "pop out."

I have friends in ATL. Perhaps I will arrange to spend some time up there and will call your bluff as my bumper is scuffed up from an uninsured driver that I have not had addressed. I will expect the whole bumper to be repainted in a three step process and no taping off the step pad.

The $300 quote Rushore got from Carsmetics is more in line with the low end I would expect.
Old 04-22-14, 12:55 PM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
The step pad is glued on, so it doesn't "pop out."

I have friends in ATL. Perhaps I will arrange to spend some time up there and will call your bluff as my bumper is scuffed up from an uninsured driver that I have not had addressed. I will expect the whole bumper to be repainted in a three step process and no taping off the step pad.

The $300 quote Rushore got from Carsmetics is more in line with the low end I would expect.
anytime. I'm currently putting a new bumper on a 03 altima tomorrow. I'll take pics for ya and one of the receipt.
Old 04-22-14, 01:33 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rushore
Just got an estimate for $300 from Carmetics. They would just paint the damaged area. Has anyone ever used them?
We have them here in FL. They are much like MAACO. Would not be my choice, however, this is YOUR vehicle. You need to make a decision based on the facts. Just do not hesitate to ask lots of questions about how your job will be handled.
Old 04-22-14, 03:24 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kevs98GS4
anytime. I'm currently putting a new bumper on a 03 altima tomorrow. I'll take pics for ya and one of the receipt.
I'm not interested in what you pay as a dealer. Am interested in seeing what I would pay as a customer. What I would be charged if I went to that shop and asked for a quote. Much like the OP was asking. As a dealer you probably get a quantity discount from the shop you use. You have probably given them a lot of business over the years. Would expect nothing less if I were in your shoes.

Have been around too long that when I see numbers like those outside the averages I have to be a bit skeptical. Nothing personal. Just when you factor in the cost of paying the rent, keeping the lights on, paying for supplies, paying your employees, paying insurance costs, paying taxes, etc. it would be hard for a shop to do such work on a regular basis with that low a profit margin and stay in business. And if they are, then it indicates to me that they might be saving money on the one big ticket item in their costs and that is on their employees with their salary and benefits. This would indicate the possibility of less experienced workers and possible high turnover.

I know as an example, that when I need parts for one of my other vehicles that I get those parts through my contact at cost. Anyone else walking in wanting those same parts is going to pay a lot more including repair shops who get a supposed discount. No way they could afford to sell parts at my price to everyone and probably not even at the shop discount price.
Old 04-23-14, 02:50 PM
Band
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just had my rear bumper done for $500.
The painter is an independent who is good with tri coat type paint. The rubber scuff step was removed and replaced and looks perfect. It is glued but can be removed and reglued with care.
My car is white which is hard to match. Too much or too little of the 2nd layer with the sparkles can alter the match and I can see a slight difference (tho my wife says I'm nuts).
A major factor in the cost of this job is the cost of the paint - it ain't cheap! Likely north of $100.
You cannot blend this stuff in for a touch up. The entire panel must be done.
My $0.02