RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Headlight Issue please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-14, 12:02 AM
Uzairlexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a long issue and I appreciate for you to read through it, I'm going to provide as much details as possible. I bought the vehicle (RX 400h) in early July of last year and it has been great up until now. I notice allot of headlight moisture in the passenger headlight about a month after purchasing The vehicle and the passenger headlight would sometimes not turn on. At around 75,000 miles I took the vehicle to the dealer for the issue and was informed that it's a common issue on the RX second and first gen and the warranty doesn't cover it. Very disappointed, I decided not to use the vehicle at night time until I can find a alternative to a $2000 headlight. Many months later I got the headlight extended warranty letter in the mail (late January). I took it back to the dealer and immediately was given a loaner car with the dealer being very nice. The day after taking the car to the dealer, I get a call from my service advisor telling me that they are going to be replacing the computer, hid bulb, ballast, assembly and what not and that it's going to take around 2-3 weeks to get the parts. Luckily the dealer got the parts within a week and installed them. I got my car back and just a few days of have the car back, the headlight was puddling and not turning on. Very frustrated, I took the car back and the dealer said they are going to be warranting the parts and replacing then (another week). After getting the headlight replaced twice, I took the car from the dealer and without a doubt condensation and extreme moisture in the headlight but the headlight was working. I called the dealer and informed my service advisor of the issue and that obviously physics can't be altered condensation was going to occur but just gave me advisor a heads up. A week after the heads up, the headlight would intermittently go out. Extremely angry, I went back to the dealer and demanded an explanation this is what I was served with Headlight Issue please help-image-2583847121.jpg. The pervious owners high beams must've went out some time and replaced after market high beam bulbs. The fog light system is very independent of the headlight system the way I have it wired up, the factory fog light harness isn't even being used, I have put hids in the fog lights (they're projectors with a cut off so why not ) and I've wired them to be drawing power from the inverter fuse and the battery ground. If the foglight system is the reason why this is occurring then shouldn't it be happening to both sides, if anything? Dealer ship said that I can "restore" the car to "factory" condition and then they are "willing" to charge me $330 for a diagnostics, because they "believe" it's a problem from "behind" the headlight connector. The dealership couldn't "replicate" the problem. Even though when i brought the car into the service drive the last time it wasn't working Headlight Issue please help-image-1830508853.jpg (this is the last time I took it in to the service drive) Headlight Issue please help-image-976346303.jpg this is a photo of a brand new headlight which is currently installed and sometime inoperative in the daytime with the headlight working. ( That ISN'T a blurry photo it's the headlights actual condition
Headlight Issue please help-image-409827854.jpg This the car with the headlights turn on and the headlight not working (sorry for the blurry photo) , here's another photo Headlight Issue please help-image-1288944849.jpg As you can see from The reflection the left headlight is on and operational but he right one Is off and annoying. Any help and opinions would be appreciated.
Old 02-22-14, 07:00 PM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would take your car to another Lexus dealer and have them warranty the headlight. It's really unfortunate that you have received multiple replacement lights that still end up leaking. Once you get it fixed, I would consider sealing them (see link), so hopefully it does not leak again.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...post-19-a.html
Old 02-22-14, 10:05 PM
Uzairlexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by neelnaik
I would take your car to another Lexus dealer and have them warranty the headlight. It's really unfortunate that you have received multiple replacement lights that still end up leaking. Once you get it fixed, I would consider sealing them (see link), so hopefully it does not leak again. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...post-19-a.html
Should I tell them of the whole story?
My dealer said that it is an updated part. I wonder why this is keep happening.

Thanks for the reply, I was starting to think this site it dead.
Old 02-22-14, 10:18 PM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It shouldn't really matter. Lexus dealers can look up work done by other Lexus dealers, so they are going to see the work when they put your vin into the computer.

I don't know if the part has changed any. http://www.lexusreimbursement.com/cu...cation-letter/ doesn't say anything about an updated design. Also, I don't think Toyota would spend the R&D money to change the part design for a "mostly cosmetic" issue.

No problem! No, this site is definitely not dead. We have several active members, with several that have been active on this site for many years.
Old 02-23-14, 07:39 AM
Uzairlexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by neelnaik
It shouldn't really matter. Lexus dealers can look up work done by other Lexus dealers, so they are going to see the work when they put your vin into the computer. I don't know if the part has changed any. http://www.lexusreimbursement.com/cu...cation-letter/ doesn't say anything about an updated design. Also, I don't think Toyota would spend the R&D money to change the part design for a "mostly cosmetic" issue. No problem! No, this site is definitely not dead. We have several active members, with several that have been active on this site for many years.
Thank you soo much. I really appreciate your input. I'll keep this updated on what happens
Old 02-24-14, 10:15 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I would let them fix it until you are satisfied with that....

Fremont Lexus?
Old 02-24-14, 08:32 PM
Uzairlexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kickin8
I would let them fix it until you are satisfied with that.... Fremont Lexus?
Yes fremont lexus
They say they need $330 diagnostics fee