RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New ECU or second hand unit ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-17, 11:44 PM
NZMatt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ECU or second hand unit ?

Hi Folks,
it looks like I have a faulty Engine computer in my Rx330. It is throwing a lot of codes and Ive had a couple of opinions that the ECU is the problem. I was hoping that some of you knowledgeable people could give me your opinions on the pros and cons of fixing vs getting a second hand computer. It seems that a second hand one is a lot cheaper but there is the complication with the keys etc, is this easily dealt with at home ? Has anyone here had success with a second hand one ?
Thanks in advance.
Matt
Old 10-22-17, 02:02 PM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

I haven't experienced the issue although I would replace the ECU with a used one considering the age of the vehicle if that was the case.
Some are as low as $100. on Ebay. The DIY doesn't seem too complicated....
Attached Thumbnails New ECU or second hand unit ?-capture.jpg   New ECU or second hand unit ?-capture1.jpg   New ECU or second hand unit ?-capture2.jpg   New ECU or second hand unit ?-capture3.jpg   New ECU or second hand unit ?-capture4.jpg  

Old 10-22-17, 03:50 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

If you problem was a constant one, I would say get yours repaired. But having an intermittent problem makes repair a less-than-guaranteed repair. If it happens to be working ok that day, the problem may not be repaired. The repair services here do return ECUs with a "problem not found" note.

Getting a used ECU would be ok as long as it works ok. If you go for a used ECU, see if you can get a guarantee that it works correctly.

There may be one sort of "problem" with replacing the ECU whether new or used. The ignition key recognition may be stored in the ECU. It is on some cars, but I don't know if this is true on the 2nd gen RX. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.
Old 10-22-17, 09:05 PM
NZMatt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses. I'm definitely leaning towards a second hand one. The units with my particular numbers seem to be a bit thin on ebay but I found one for about $300.
I found this
video to reprogram the keys. If anyone has tried this or knows of any additional issues with fitting a different computer I'd appreciate advice.
Old 10-23-17, 08:07 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by NZMatt
Thanks for the responses. I'm definitely leaning towards a second hand one. The units with my particular numbers seem to be a bit thin on ebay but I found one for about $300.
I found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QocuEYNE6KM video to reprogram the keys. If anyone has tried this or knows of any additional issues with fitting a different computer I'd appreciate advice.
Be very careful with this, I've seen posts around ToyotaNation of people trying this just to end up frying their ECU, which is the problem you are trying to solve. I haven't tried this myself (nor do I want to) but I have programmed keys for both Lexus and Toyota using Techstream and it is very hard to virginize the ECU for key programming unless you are able to physically probe the EEPROM chip and modify it. My advice if you go used is to at least buy a ECU kit to include a working master key (needs to be a master, not valet) and the key tumbler, it may be more money but it will save you the headache if you cannot get your key to program.