RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Cover It Up or Paint - Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-13, 05:39 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Cover It Up or Paint - Ideas

Trying to get some ideas on fixing up the door mouldings on both sides of my RX. As I park at the train station, there have been a number of instances where people just open their car doors against my car and hence scratch the paint. Thankfully most of this is in the centre of the door moulding. Any ideas short of having it resprayed (given that new paint would have the same marks/scratches the very next day at the train station)?

Thought about getting a thin chrome strip to go down the centre line of the moulding and seeing what that might look like.

Old 12-18-13, 06:19 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Don't do that. Peel it off and respray it - it appears to be too much damage to touch up. It won't be that hard for a local shop to do. You could even try it yourself - plenty of DIY out there on the net. If you F it up you can always take it to the shop to fix.

Next step is know where to park. Park away from everyone - may have to walk further but will prevent your current situation. Or park in a spot like this - all the way at the end and waaayy over:

I am very picky about parking, it drives my wife crazy because I would park far away - so I started dropping her off at the door of a store then park and meet her inside.
Old 12-18-13, 07:03 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by alchemist
Next step is know where to park. Park away from everyone - may have to walk further but will prevent your current situation. Or park in a spot like this - all the way at the end and waaayy over:
If I could I so would. It seems the standard response - park as far away from people as you can, but as is always the reply is that regardless of how far away you park, there will always be some person that will go and park right next to you regardless. Also it's a train station car park that fills up quickly and the options unfortunately aren't there as suggested.
Old 12-18-13, 07:12 AM
alchemist
Instructor

You're right - far away does not always work. So my preference is always to park next to something (curb, etc.) - usually the spot on an end so I can park tight against it.

For you, I would just touch it up. If your parking situation is not going to change then the damage to your molding will just return if you choose to fix it.

Last edited by alchemist; 12-18-13 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-18-13, 07:16 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

That looks awful. Under the circumstances, I would have the strip repaired or replaced, and then add an additional rubber piece across it to prevent this kind of damage to the repaired piece. That might not look great, but you can remove it when it's time to sell the RX. Or, if this happens at the congested train station, look at the protective items you can buy to hang on or stick to the side of the car during the day when parked. Right now, however, that photo is as bad as anything I have ever seen.
Good Luck.
Old 12-18-13, 07:38 AM
alchemist
Instructor

good call...how about something like this?

Door Shox (VALET EDITION) - Car Door Protector, Car Door Guard, Car Door Protection, Door Ding Dent Protector : Amazon.com : Automotive Door Shox (VALET EDITION) - Car Door Protector, Car Door Guard, Car Door Protection, Door Ding Dent Protector : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 12-18-13, 07:45 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can buy those parts from Sewell but they are about $100 door each.Get an estimate from body shop.
Old 12-18-13, 07:58 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

I wonder if you got the trim vinyl wrapped (say in black) or even with thicker protective film typically used on hoods and front of car how it would hold up to the door dings.
Old 12-18-13, 03:25 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I wonder if you got the trim vinyl wrapped (say in black) or even with thicker protective film typically used on hoods and front of car how it would hold up to the door dings.
That's what I was thinking with regards to a thick protective film over it. Possibly even getting the think resprayed and maybe using something clear like the plasti-dip stuff to cover over it so that damage is at least minimised.

Right now, however, that photo is as bad as anything I have ever seen.
It's not that bad, probably more the lighting from the flash on the camera.
Old 12-18-13, 06:45 PM
rich001
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My side mouldings look exactly like that, probably will purchase new ones from Sewell next year. Does anyone know if it is only double stick tape? And I just peel it right off?
Old 12-18-13, 09:17 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

draco, I would take it to a shop and get it respray, after it's cured, lay a layer of protective film. I would also park off center meaning if you are park closer to curb or park off center so that you can get out and leave a bit of extra space between your car and the next car. Another option can also do blackbox for your RX, record the idiot that dents and scrap your RX on the spot and make him pay !!
Old 12-19-13, 05:12 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Originally Posted by rich001
My side mouldings look exactly like that, probably will purchase new ones from Sewell next year. Does anyone know if it is only double stick tape? And I just peel it right off?
yes double sided tape only
Old 12-19-13, 05:35 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by rich001
yes, double sided tape. If you plan to pull the moulding off yourself..id suggest use some heat.
If you're patient enough, just sand and spray. 3M auto grade double-sided tape can be found at your local Napa.
Old 12-19-13, 09:46 AM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I would just have a body shop fix them and then have a clear bra put on the moldings. Shouldn’t cost too much.
Old 12-19-13, 10:36 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Not one reply of taking it to a detailer.......

Go to a detailer, have it hit with a few compounds and it will come out. My dad's Flint mica is even worse. I took care of it easily.

Not to mention half of those 'love taps' will come out with a simple claybar.
A claybar took out most of mine, and then a quick buff did the rest in.

No need to go see anyone for paint work, they'd laugh you out of their shop! Or bend you over, charge for paint where literally half an hour of work will fix it!

Quick Reply: Cover It Up or Paint - Ideas