RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

90K mile service being performed at 108K miles :/

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-13, 09:17 PM
CaliRX330
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 90K mile service being performed at 108K miles :/

Hi Everyone!

New member here. My father just purchased a RX330 and I have done all I could so far to make sure he has the best car possible,

oil change (mobil 1)
Transmission fluid change (Toyota fluid)
Air filter (OEM)
Cabin Filter (OEM)

But the last owner never did the timing belt service. I have called around and the cheapest I have got was $600 for the timing belt, water pump, both serpentine belts (all OEM part) and labor at a Toyota dealership.

My question is, is that a good deal?

Will they change the coolant as well or is that extra because they are going to have to remove the water pump?

Should I have them do the spark plugs as well being that they are going to be working in that environment even though those are due at 120K?

Am I better off getting an alignment somewhere else or should I have the dealer do it?

Thank you all in advance! I am loving all the material so far and cant stop reading and learning. Hopefully I too can contribute useful DIY and such to this forum!
Old 12-01-13, 09:30 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Considering a kit that you have to get from Rockauto [plus a few misc pieces] for around 300$, 600$ is a steal for a TB. That shop must like working for free!

-Make sure you're also getting a hydraulic tensioner.
-I'd suggest a new alternator, & power steering belt since the wheel comes off for the TB job.
-To get to the cam seals they will lift up the valve cover - get some gaskets [Felpro, about 20-30$ for front & back]
-Get them some OE toyota coolant and get a flush done 'while you're in there'
*this is what I did when I went in for a TB, did the immediate 'since you're in there' services*, it's a few bucks more overall, but cheaper than going in for each service separately thereafter.

Otherwise for coolant, even if they were to top it off, it's not that much so most shops won't charge for that.

I'd say maybe on the spark plugs. It's a totally different working area, and there's no point since they mostly work with it in the air for the TB and not so much on the ground, where spark plus are done on level ground.

Spark plugs are a matter of 'how much' more you want to spend at once. Since when you get into that world, you need to buy a plenum gasket as well, since the RX is unforgiving for working room, so the intake manifold has to come off... easily adding another 1-1.5hrs of labor plus cost of plugs & gasket.
Old 12-02-13, 02:00 AM
CaliRX330
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Considering a kit that you have to get from Rockauto [plus a few misc pieces] for around 300$, 600$ is a steal for a TB. That shop must like working for free!

-Make sure you're also getting a hydraulic tensioner.
-I'd suggest a new alternator, & power steering belt since the wheel comes off for the TB job.
-To get to the cam seals they will lift up the valve cover - get some gaskets [Felpro, about 20-30$ for front & back]
-Get them some OE toyota coolant and get a flush done 'while you're in there'
*this is what I did when I went in for a TB, did the immediate 'since you're in there' services*, it's a few bucks more overall, but cheaper than going in for each service separately thereafter.

Otherwise for coolant, even if they were to top it off, it's not that much so most shops won't charge for that.

I'd say maybe on the spark plugs. It's a totally different working area, and there's no point since they mostly work with it in the air for the TB and not so much on the ground, where spark plus are done on level ground.

Spark plugs are a matter of 'how much' more you want to spend at once. Since when you get into that world, you need to buy a plenum gasket as well, since the RX is unforgiving for working room, so the intake manifold has to come off... easily adding another 1-1.5hrs of labor plus cost of plugs & gasket.
Ok perfect! I found a kit made by Aisin or something like that for ~$200 which included the tensioner as well. I attempted a TB on an accord before and it took me 3 days (lack of tools and knowledge) so I didnt want to go trough the same or worse with this car.

I didn't know that I had to ask about the tensioner...isn't that already included in the TB job?

Also, wouldn't they replace the valve cover gasket being that they are opening it up? Should they even charge any labor here being that it takes less than 10 seconds?

The alternator and PS belt are included in that $600 price.

I think I am going to ask them to flush the coolant as well...well if they don't charge $200 that is! I know the part is ~$40 (2 gallons) so if it's reasonable, they can do it...otherwise I will venture with that project.

Also, I think I am going to hold off on the spark plugs then...I know they are a pain in the butt to do (thanks toyota engineers) but I still have 12K miles on them. The reason I wanted to see if they can do is that the RX330 has 3 recalls on it right now

-Carpet clips
-Brake master cylinder
-Crank shaft bearing or something like that so I figured if they are tearing up the engine they can just throw in the new plugs...

Anyone else have these recalls taken care of?
Old 12-02-13, 02:46 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliRX330
The reason I wanted to see if they can do is that the RX330 has 3 recalls on it right now

-Carpet clips
-Brake master cylinder
-Crank shaft bearing or something like that so I figured if they are tearing up the engine they can just throw in the new plugs...

Anyone else have these recalls taken care of?
The first two recalls were standard items, especially the first, and are well documented here at CL if you care to search. As for the crankshaft bearing, I believe you are referring to the crankshaft pulley. That gets a visual inspection to determine its origin of manufacture and whether it qualifies for replacement. No way of knowing until they get in there for a visual inspection.

You can search here for more details:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchVehicles

None of the above clears enough to get to the rear bank of spark plugs which is where the real work is involved. Still, not as hard as say a Chevy Monza V6 where you had to jack up the engine to even get at one of the plugs. Besides, most shops charge based on the book labor rates and what it states for the amount of time required for the job and not how long it actually takes. Each job is charged separate. Always best to ask questions about what is being charged and why as much as one's understanding allows and to get multiple quotes if possible.

Yes, it is normal to flush the radiator and deal with new coolant while replacing the water pump. Much of this goes hand-in-hand.
Old 12-02-13, 03:54 AM
CaliRX330
Driver School Candidate

Ok got it!

Sorry to keep beating the dead horse but when I call lexus tomorrow (not the dealer who's doing the work for $600) Should I ask them if they can perform the same thing for the same price being that they are going to be inside the car?

Also, do I need to clarify that I will need the following done:

Water pump
Timing Belt
Alternator Belt
Power Steering Belt
Tensioner
valve gasket
Coolant flush

or do the bottom three go without saying? I am afraid that if I bring them up, being that they were already going to do it they will say some crap like, those are extra charge!

In regards to the crank pulley, you are correct! That is what was needing to be looked at. From what it sounds like, they are going to change it because he's having me drop the car off Friday at 10 am and giving me a loaner till Saturday morning so I assume it has to be more than just a visual inspection, rather they have intentions of changing it...but I could totally be wrong!

Anything else I should know or do before I drop the car off for the TB job?
Old 12-02-13, 09:05 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

You need to ask for the bottom 3. The only one you may get at no cost is the coolant because if they do pump they most likely drain coolant. Have them check power steering rack as those leak often.
Old 12-02-13, 05:41 PM
CaliRX330
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by alchemist
You need to ask for the bottom 3. The only one you may get at no cost is the coolant because if they do pump they most likely drain coolant. Have them check power steering rack as those leak often.
So in regards to the tensioners...they are going to inspect them then decide if they need to be changed or not...I asked how much would the new ones cost and they said, $120 each...worth it?

Gaskets - They informed me that the valve cover will not be removed to access the timing belt. However, at anytime they remove something that have some sort of gasket (ie water pump) the gaskets will be changed

Coolant - They are going to top off what ever is lost in the process of changing the water pump unless they notice the coolant is "nasty". The charge will be $120 for the coolant flush...worth it?

Also, they quoted me $350 to do the plugs! I am going to seek an indy or attempt it myself. That seems like A LOT granted I have read the write ups and it seem like a of a job too!

Any advice here?
Old 12-02-13, 08:45 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Can you bring them the tensioner?

Its 25$ or so for an AISIN one from Rockauto. the reason I even mentioned it in the first place is that the first AISIN kit on there does not come with one, and the other kit is 100$ more, yet individually the part is 25$ - this is why I said to make sure in case this shop will get it done.

The kit did not have the cam seals either, unless I'm thinking of another one. Either way it was just over 300$ for everything you need and then some [alternator/PS belts] and spark plugs too I think. *PARTS ALONE*

Even Sewell offers this in two options;
Timing Belt
-Water Pump w/Gasket
-2 Idler Pulleys
-Coolant
397$

Extended Kit includes the aforementioned plus
-Cam Seals x2
-Crank Seal
423$
In order to get to the cam seals, you lift up the valve covers... unless they assume yours will be fine to lift up and place again. Mine started to dribble [to check if they're reusable], which is why I had gotten the valve cover seals.

In regards to coolant, how much does it run nowadays at your dealer? It may or may not be worth it... materials price dependent.
Old 12-02-13, 09:36 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Originally Posted by CaliRX330
So in regards to the tensioners...they are going to inspect them then decide if they need to be changed or not...I asked how much would the new ones cost and they said, $120 each...worth it?

Gaskets - They informed me that the valve cover will not be removed to access the timing belt. However, at anytime they remove something that have some sort of gasket (ie water pump) the gaskets will be changed

Coolant - They are going to top off what ever is lost in the process of changing the water pump unless they notice the coolant is "nasty". The charge will be $120 for the coolant flush...worth it?

Also, they quoted me $350 to do the plugs! I am going to seek an indy or attempt it myself. That seems like A LOT granted I have read the write ups and it seem like a of a job too!

Any advice here?
All seems about right at the dealer. Believe it or not that is a decent price for plugs. Look at my DIY thread and you'll see it is pretty involved -have to pull intake.

For coolant flush, you can do this yourself. They are charging you one hr of labor and two gallons coolant so its about right
Old 12-02-13, 11:12 PM
CaliRX330
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Can you bring them the tensioner?

Its 25$ or so for an AISIN one from Rockauto. the reason I even mentioned it in the first place is that the first AISIN kit on there does not come with one, and the other kit is 100$ more, yet individually the part is 25$ - this is why I said to make sure in case this shop will get it done.

The kit did not have the cam seals either, unless I'm thinking of another one. Either way it was just over 300$ for everything you need and then some [alternator/PS belts] and spark plugs too I think. *PARTS ALONE*

Even Sewell offers this in two options;

In order to get to the cam seals, you lift up the valve covers... unless they assume yours will be fine to lift up and place again. Mine started to dribble [to check if they're reusable], which is why I had gotten the valve cover seals.

In regards to coolant, how much does it run nowadays at your dealer? It may or may not be worth it... materials price dependent.
I am getting the car done tomorrow so I don't have enough time to order the tensioners. The guy was telling me that in 15 years of doing this, he's never seen tensioners go bad. Is it that dramatic that I should reschedule the appointment to get them some tensioners?!?!?!

For the timing belt, water pump and both belts, the parts came out to be ~$200 so $400 for labor. And from what he told me, the reason he couldn't do the car today was that he needed to call Lexus and order the parts which will be in tomorrow.

Now I am worried about the tensioners!

HELP!

In regards to the coolant and plugs, I am going to wait off on those and perform both of them when the car hits 120K.
Old 12-02-13, 11:14 PM
CaliRX330
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

Also....do need all three of these?

If so, which one(s) should I order...in terms of brand???

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...lt%20Tensioner

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ner%20Adjuster

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ioner%20Roller
Old 12-02-13, 11:16 PM
CaliRX330
Driver School Candidate

Or should I just get one of these and call it a day?

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...20Water%20Pump

Sorry for spamming...I am kind of freaking out right now!
Old 12-03-13, 07:26 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Just buy the kit and call it a day
Old 12-12-13, 12:45 AM
Saltynutz
Driver School Candidate

Talk to your dealer' service ADVISOR that's his job, he knows what's best for your car, when he say don't worry about the tensioner, then don't, why stress out about it. Don't cheap out and save a few dollars on cheap aftermarket parts and risk making your lexus run like crap?
Spend a few extra bucks get it done right with the right parts and move on. You want your father to have a piece of mind driving the lexus the way lexus designed it!
Old 01-03-14, 10:45 AM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a question.

Does the RX330 have issues with leaking Valve Covers?
I thought the 3MZ-FE engines had fixed that issue. Maybe I'm just hoping.

Quick Reply: 90K mile service being performed at 108K miles :/