RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Recall service Q

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-13, 03:21 PM
RUBZERK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Recall service Q

Was wondering if anyone knows if a toyota dealer can preform the recall service on my lexus since there is no lexus dealer in my area ?
Old 11-17-13, 04:43 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Doubtful, depending on the recall they may have to replace parts that Toyota would not have in stock. For example the sudden acceleration recall required replacement of a Lexus small panel part. In my experience there is an upside. Lexus will fill your gas tank at no charge on recalls. I have always arrived at the Lexus dealership on fumes and drove away with a full tank.
Old 11-17-13, 05:33 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainbird
In my experience there is an upside. Lexus will fill your gas tank at no charge on recalls. I have always arrived at the Lexus dealership on fumes and drove away with a full tank.
Unfortunately, this is not true nationwide. I have never had any fuel put into my RX by the dealership during any of the recall events. The last time around for the brake booster recall I did not even get a loaner vehicle as the repair would take less than 2 hours.
Old 11-17-13, 05:35 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RUBZERK
Was wondering if anyone knows if a toyota dealer can preform the recall service on my lexus since there is no lexus dealer in my area ?
Which Lexus recall are you referring to? As Rainbird has stated, it would be highly unlikely though it might depend on which one you are talking about.

You might try calling Lexus Customer Service, the phone number is in your Owner's Manual, and see what they have to say on the matter.
Old 11-17-13, 08:11 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Unfortunately, this is not true nationwide. I have never had any fuel put into my RX by the dealership during any of the recall events. The last time around for the brake booster recall I did not even get a loaner vehicle as the repair would take less than 2 hours.
It must be a California thing then. I had the 9LH Oil Hose recall at Lexus of Oxnard and the BLC carpet cover and retention clip recall done at Lexus of Pleasanton. In both cases the vehicle was filled with gasoline.
Old 11-17-13, 09:35 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rainbird
It must be a California thing then. I had the 9LH Oil Hose recall at Lexus of Oxnard and the BLC carpet cover and retention clip recall done at Lexus of Pleasanton. In both cases the vehicle was filled with gasoline.
I think it is more national, just on an informal basis. Am going to guess that there is some internal Toyota/Lexus document which states that vehicles in for recall servicing "should" receive a top off of the gas tank. However, if there is no gas station around the corner for the dealership to use there may not be much of an incentive for doing so and no penalty for not complying with the rules. Just like you "should" receive a loaner vehicle when your RX is in the shop for a recall if you request one in advance. The local dealerships in this area seem to have a policy that if they think the repair, any repair, will take less than two (2) hours no loaner vehicle will be made available. Perhaps if your drive an LS the rules are different.

Will also concede that the rules may be different while you are under warranty versus being out of warranty -- recall or not. Who knows.

Would just like that when we are talking about recall services that statements such as "Lexus will fill your gas tank" be replaced with "you might be surprised to find that the dealer will fill your gas tank." Still the same advise about going in with a low tank for just in case, however, with no expectations that it "will" happen.
Old 11-18-13, 02:27 PM
RUBZERK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rx330infl
which lexus recall are you referring to? As rainbird has stated, it would be highly unlikely though it might depend on which one you are talking about.

You might try calling lexus customer service, the phone number is in your owner's manual, and see what they have to say on the matter.
crankshaft pulley