RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Big Navigation Update

Old 10-30-13, 11:06 PM
CJG
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Big Navigation Update

Hey all...

So we're about 1.5 weeks into our 2004 RX330. I've been wondering about the factory nav. It can't find our house, which is a 10 year old house. The car, by my calculations is close to 10 years old. But I wondered if the nav had ever been updated.

I have been unable to find a way to determine the map version via the screen. But finally found out where the DVD is, so I ejected it, and lo and behold... version 03 from 2003. Egad.

I'm in West Phoenix (Peoria, actually). 3 miles from the AZ Cardinals stadium. And _that_ was built in 2006, so it's not even on the maps.

Found a place that sells updates on the cheap. Picked up a 12 update for $49.99. Unfortunately, after the fact and hindsight being 20/20, I realized that sounded too good to be true. I did some googling and I expect to receive a bootleg DVD with a cheaply printed ink jet label on it. I emailed the company with my concerns and asking them not to ship it, but they replied assuring me that it will work. Alas.

I'm very curious to see how different the 2012 maps are from the 2003 (assuming the new DVD works when it arrives). If it seems like a worthwhile update, I'll spring for version 13 from a legitimate seller. I really don't want to be driving around using a bootleg DVD.

Anyway... excited that I finally figured out which version I currently have. Thought I'd share

While I'm here... and just out of curiosity, because I'm pretty sure I know what the answer will be... is it at all feasible to upgrade the hardware so I'm not running a GEN 2/3? Seems there's some nicer features in newer gen DVDs, such as bypassing the "I agree" screen automagically. Doable? Doable but ridiculously expensive? Doable but not worth it for the differences in features?

Thanks!
Charlie
Old 10-31-13, 08:03 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The new version of the DVD will do away with the "I agree screen". It did on my 2007 RX350.
Old 10-31-13, 08:52 AM
CJG
Driver School Candidate

My RX330 is a Gen 2/3. I think I read that updates for Gen 2/3 do not do away with the "I agree" screen. I believe that your RX350 is a Gen 5.

Hence my reason for hoping that it might be possible/feasible to update the hardware
Old 10-31-13, 01:14 PM
thx10
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did the 13.1 upgrade from a 5.1 on my 2006 GX. The "I Agree" is still there. The 2006 is a Gen4

I updated my wife's 2008 RX last year from 7.1 to 12.1 and her "I Agree" is gone. Her Nav is Gen5

On a side note, it is nice to finally have the road I live on being displayed on screen.
Old 10-31-13, 01:48 PM
CJG
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, my house was built in 2002, and the address isn't in my 2003 version 03.

While it will be nice to have our home address in the system, I'm also hoping for some UI tweaks. I understand the "I agree" screen will still be there, and frankly, that's OK. If the biggest issue my wife and I have in our lives is that we have to click "I agree" ever time we start up her Lexus, then I'd say we're doing OK
Old 10-31-13, 01:49 PM
CJG
Driver School Candidate

thx10 - if you don't mind my asking... and I guess this is an open question to anybody who updates their maps... do y'all pay the $170 from a reputable dealer? Or are the reputable places to get legitimate copies of the DVDs for less?
Old 10-31-13, 02:34 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Once you get a working set of maps you are happy with, most just stick with that for year-upon-year. As for sales, sometimes you can get a discount on the previous years update just as the new update is released as dealers try to move old inventory.

With today's smartphones, the old generation RX NAV systems are a bit old tech.
Old 10-31-13, 02:42 PM
CJG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
With today's smartphones, the old generation RX NAV systems are a bit old tech.
Yeah, frankly I almost wish the car didn't have the factory nav. My wife and I both have iPhones with Apple Maps and Google Maps, as well as a Navigon GPS app (the latter of which was purchased a number of years ago). Any of those apps seem infinitely more capable than what the factory nav supplies, but I'm basing that on a 2003 map.

The factory nav does offer the single convenience of not having to mount the phone to the windshield or dashboard. Nice to not have infinite rings of "a suction cup was here".

Will see how the update to 2012 goes. Assuming I get the disk. And assuming it works. If it's even marginally useful, it's probably worth it to my wife to not have to deal with the windshield rings or a mount that keeps falling off of the dashboard.
Old 10-31-13, 03:10 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

There are a variety of mounts out there, CJG. Such as the following:

http://www.mountek.com/

My RX does not have NAV. Never believed in it much in regards to having a permanent and proprietary system in the car. I am very much old school in this regard. Rarely do I go anymore to places I am not already aware of and if I do I can spend a few moments to look at the online maps to get my bearings and did travel with a Garmin for years. I understand the purpose it serves though. However, while I may not want to replace my daily driver but every decade or so I want to update my other technology items on a regular basis.
Old 10-31-13, 03:28 PM
CJG
Driver School Candidate

Ooh. That Ngroove Snap is a very nice looking solution.

Altho I guess that aside from the convenience of not having to mount a phone at all, another convenience of the built in nav is the ability to do whatever one may need to with the phone, without interfering with the GPS app.

I may be reaching here. I do agree with you that the GPS apps on the phones, as well as standalone GPS devices which can be had for less than the cost of a Lexus Nav DVD update, have vastly superior features to the factory nav.

But since we do have it in the car, I'd like to try and make use of it, as long as it's at least somewhat functional. Not at least trying to use it just seems... wasteful But yes. If the car hadn't have come with it, I'd have been just fine with that
Old 10-31-13, 03:55 PM
thx10
Rookie

Originally Posted by CJG
thx10 - if you don't mind my asking... and I guess this is an open question to anybody who updates their maps... do y'all pay the $170 from a reputable dealer? Or are the reputable places to get legitimate copies of the DVDs for less?
I bought it from Sewell Lexus. I think it was about a $5 discount being a member here on CL. So yes. I did pay just under retail. But I am kinda particular about stuff like that.

:-)
Old 10-31-13, 03:57 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

The NAV system in the 2014 RX is more to my liking, FWIW. The new one has the ability for traffic updates, regular map updates, voice control, etc. The smartphone apps and the standalone GPS units with their lifetime map updates and traffic updates were much further ahead of the built-in systems most vehicle manufacturers were installing.

The problem I have heard with the nGroove Snap is that should you hit a pothole or large bump the pivot socket may not be resistant enough to remain in position.
Old 10-31-13, 04:38 PM
CJG
Driver School Candidate

lol... it'll be a while before I can afford a 2014

And yeah, I wondered about how well that mount would work on a bumpy road. Regardless, still one of the most elegant looking mounts that I've seen.
Old 10-31-13, 10:02 PM
CRD
Driver School Candidate

Keep us updated on the $49 DVD. If it works I may need to purchase one. Not up for paying full price.

Thanks
Old 11-01-13, 08:47 AM
CJG
Driver School Candidate

CRD - if it looks like a legitimate DVD, I'll be happy to share the URL of the vendor. Unfortunately, I'm expecting that it's not going to be legit.

If I like the updates enough, I'll probably pick this one up, which I get the feeling is legitimate:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-RX330-2001-2004-2014-NAVIGATION-DVD-MAP-UPDATE13-1-WEST-COAST-EDITION-/251354974895?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a85ec8aaf&vxp=mtr
It's still $150, but that's $20 off retail. And we'd probably keep it for a number of years.

I'm considering the $49 DVD a "trial version". And if I buy the $150 one, I'll then consider the $49 an "idiot tax" for not realizing beforehand that it was a "too-good-to-be-true" situation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Big Navigation Update