RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Thinking about winter tires and wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-13, 11:17 AM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Thinking about winter tires and wheels

My OEM Michelins are about toast. I am thinking of picking up a set of winter tires and wheels and would like to go with 17s as they are cheaper. My current tires are 235/55-18. Tire Rack says in 17s I would want 225/65-17. A tire size calculator I looked at says the difference between the two sizes is .34 on the diameter, 1.06 on the circumference and 8.5 revs/mile.

Should I ever need to use my 18 inch spare when the winter tires are mounted, this shouldn't be enough difference to hurt anything, should it? It seems like .34 inch on the diameter would be well within normal wear among any set of tires of the exact same size.
Old 09-13-13, 05:50 PM
Denvermgb
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about winter tires and wheels

I have found that all wheel drive, even front wheel drive, with good all season tires, is plenty of traction for the snow. I have crossed the mountains of Colorado for years in the heaviest of snow storms and have done OK with front wheel drive and good all season tires. Unless you have to climb lots of icy, snowy roads on a regular basis, I would say you might not need snows on your Lexus.

Do you have AWD or FWD?
Old 09-14-13, 08:02 AM
MerlinT
Rookie

I bought these tires, P225/65 R17, probably the best you can have for winter:

http://www.nokiantyres.com/tyre?id=1...peliitta+7+SUV

I have rims for summer (18"), and another set for winter (17"). I had the Hakkapeliitta 5 (SUV) for the last 3 winters.

Hope it'll help

Good luck!
Old 09-17-13, 07:01 AM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MerlinT
I bought these tires, P225/65 R17, probably the best you can have for winter:

http://www.nokiantyres.com/tyre?id=1...peliitta+7+SUV

I have rims for summer (18"), and another set for winter (17"). I had the Hakkapeliitta 5 (SUV) for the last 3 winters.

Hope it'll help

Good luck!
You don't have to sell me on Nokians. I had a set of Hakkapeliittas on my 97 Bonneville. Turned that thing into a snowmobile. Best snow tires on the market hands down. I used to drag race in the parking lot at work against the guys with 4x4 trucks, smoked them all.

I guess my question boils down to; if I go with 17's, what is the most difference, diameter wise, that I can go with and not hurt the car if I have a flat and need to run the 18 inch spare?

My wife is the primary driver of the RX. She doesn't take the same pleasure from winter driving that I do. In her defense, the OEM Michelins were pretty bad last winter so I need to do something.

Personally, I am like a kid waiting for Christmas until that first snow falls, especially this year since I am the new owner of an Audi A4. I get all giggly just thinking about it.

Just hope the Audi stays running all winter. It is definitely not on par with the RX in the reliability department.
The following users liked this post:
kiwijeeper (05-17-21)
Old 09-17-13, 02:20 PM
Briand_OH
Driver

Just an obvious caution:

You know more than most of the service people you will encounter about tires, snows, and speed ratings. BUT....undoubtedly you'll encounter someone who'll want you to replace with exact OEM size and speed ratings, never mind that a "T" rating will more than suffice IME.

FWIW, 2004 AWD has had some Bridgestone 17" snows on OEMs for the past four winters in NE- Ohio. Have the nav system and there's a fcn to calibrate speedo so I never worried about the -slight- increase in rolling diameter. Of more concern is when you have to juggle the OEM lugs and aftermkt cone-type. I change the wheels myself and have no concerns re not having 5 OEM lugs to mount possible spare.....

AND, some yokels in past merely jacked under the rocker panel pinch seams in unknown past encounter, crushing them (did quickie vice-grip and spray can repair last fall).
Old 09-19-13, 08:20 AM
MerlinT
Rookie

Originally Posted by ghuns
You don't have to sell me on Nokians. I had a set of Hakkapeliittas on my 97 Bonneville. Turned that thing into a snowmobile. Best snow tires on the market hands down. I used to drag race in the parking lot at work against the guys with 4x4 trucks, smoked them all.

I guess my question boils down to; if I go with 17's, what is the most difference, diameter wise, that I can go with and not hurt the car if I have a flat and need to run the 18 inch spare?

My wife is the primary driver of the RX. She doesn't take the same pleasure from winter driving that I do. In her defense, the OEM Michelins were pretty bad last winter so I need to do something.

Personally, I am like a kid waiting for Christmas until that first snow falls, especially this year since I am the new owner of an Audi A4. I get all giggly just thinking about it.

Just hope the Audi stays running all winter. It is definitely not on par with the RX in the reliability department.
P225/65 R17 is the right size for 17", my friend. It's the size for RX350; the 18" size is an option You can find the information on Lexus Web site.

Good luck
Old 09-19-13, 11:12 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

If you want you can also check the local used parts centers or on eBay for a set of RAV4 17" steel wheels.
Old 09-20-13, 09:13 AM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
If you want you can also check the local used parts centers or on eBay for a set of RAV4 17" steel wheels.
Thanks, never thought of that.

Holy crap! Set of those on Ebay right now that some guy wants $325 for plus $125 shipping.

I could buy a perfectly nice set of aluminum wheels from Tire Rack for less than that.

Right now I am leaning towards just getting new all seasons put on it. If the wife survived last winter with the OEM Michelins, she should be fine with a set of these...

Continental Pure Contact
Old 09-25-13, 08:19 AM
RXPhil
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Do these fit the RX? I mean do they clear the caliper? Has anybody checked? This seems like the cheapest route for OEM fitment rims. Paint them black and you're golden.

I tested fitted my friends 20" Venza wheels on my RX and sure enough a 3mm spacer or more would need to be used as the caliper is larger. Don't want to buy a used set of RAV4 wheels and need spacers.