RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

90,000 2004 RX330 -- Sell or Keep?

Old 08-31-13, 02:13 PM
eisens
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90,000 2004 RX330 -- Sell or Keep?

I'm the original owner of a 2004 front wheel drive RX330. I've never really had any problems with my 10 year old car, which now has 91,800 miles on it. I have had a few recall items done, done the oil changes, etc.

The car needs its 90,000 mile tune-up. I'm told to replace the spark plugs (cheaper while the other work is being done), the water pump, the timing belt & other belts along with most of the fluids (including transmission). Oh -- and synthetic oil change & filter.

The bids I've gotten from small shops seem to be around $1000.

My brake rotors were shaved last year and may need replacing. My guy will do that for the cost of the brakes ($60) and no labor since they have to take the brakes off as part of the service (so he says).

Also, I have some dents from tree limbs mashing in the rear right passenger door. I also have some dents in the front left wheel area (also tree limbs). I don't know if my comprehensive will cover this or if it is more $$$.

I also have some cracks in the dash -- one above the GPS and one near the glove box. The leather near the keywell is rough as is some of the leather on the steering wheel.

The right rear window lost its trim (probably in a car wash). I'm told that this requires the entire window to be replaced -- over $350.

Oh, and my darling son kicked a panel off the front right passenger seat (in the rear) that needs to be replaced.

I was planning on doing the repairs -- but it is beginning to sound as if all of this is going to cost $1500-2000. Does it make more sense to find what a trade in will bring (I'm guessing $10-12,000 in its present condition) and maybe buying an inexpensive newer car -- Toyota, Mini Coop, Kia -- I have no idea really -- but nothing as fancy (my lifestyle has changed) but that will last another 10 years or so. . .

Does it seem likely I could get enough in a trade to spend maybe $2-4K and get a "newer" decent used car or even (dare I say it) a new car?

What would you do if you were me? Fix it (probably get another 3-5 years out of it) or trade it?
Old 08-31-13, 02:26 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Personally, the numbers you are stating for needed work is only a fraction of what new car or even used car payments might run you. From the condition of your vehicle you will probably get much less than you expect. A stop to CarMax, if you have one in your area, might give you an idea of the value or you could check with kbb.com. I would hold with what you have, however, would not dump too much into it. Start saving up for a replacement and look for a great deal. In the meantime you have a vehicle which is already paid off and is not costing you much. Keep letting the family beat up this one for now and see what the new year holds.
Old 08-31-13, 02:33 PM
eisens
Rookie

Ugh. I hate taking it into an Autonation or such and getting a sales pitch.

The car does have the built in GPS (never got the CD updates) and a DVD TV / Player in the back. I doubt that will add much to the value. . .

Old 08-31-13, 03:02 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by eisens
Ugh. I hate taking it into an Autonation or such and getting a sales pitch.

The car does have the built in GPS (never got the CD updates) and a DVD TV / Player in the back. I doubt that will add much to the value. . .

No, this is a bit different. CarMax has a car purchasing program. No real sales pitch involved.

http://www.carmax.com/enus/we-buy-cars/default.html
Old 08-31-13, 04:12 PM
DPJ
Driver School Candidate

What do you want to do? A couple thousand in repair is what the sales tax will be on a new car.
A lot of the stuff you mentioned can wait. The only BIG mistake you can make is to do a lot of work on the car and then trade it in. All you will get for your investment is a big thank you from the dealer.
I should mention brakes are important for your family's safety if you decide to keep it. If you're sick of it, don't spend any money on it and trade or sell it. You might be surprised at how little you get for it.
Old 08-31-13, 06:00 PM
Vester72
Driver School Candidate

I'd keep it - assuming all is solid mechanically it'll last another 100,000 miles easily.
Old 09-02-13, 03:13 PM
RX3302004
Pole Position

Get what you need fixed/updated and you have a perfectly good car that will go for another 90k miles with little expense.
Old 09-02-13, 04:01 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

My 2004 RX330 AWD is in excellent condition. I'm also due for a timing belt, brakes, struts and tires. I could keep the vehicle and put 3-4k into it and it would run great for another 10 years but I'm thinking that there may be other things that will cost money that a ten year old might encounter. I am also looking at the newer safety, electronic and drivetrain as a reason I want to upgrade. The only issue I have is that I know the vehicle is worth way more than the trade-in value (to me) and I may just keep it as a general utility vehicle and keep the new RX in the garage on those bad weather days.
Old 09-03-13, 05:13 AM
DPJ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jfelbab
The only issue I have is that I know the vehicle is worth way more than the trade-in value (to me) and I may just keep it as a general utility vehicle and keep the new RX in the garage on those bad weather days.
If you keep it you'll still have to spend the same money. It sounds like you're ready for a new car. Cut this one loose and move on.
Old 09-03-13, 05:50 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by DPJ
If you keep it you'll still have to spend the same money. It sounds like you're ready for a new car. Cut this one loose and move on.
I have cash in hand anxiously waiting for the 2014 RX to arrive.

I do like to hang onto my cars a while though. I still occasionally drive my 1991 MR2 which is now 22 YO. I probably should cut that loose as well.
Old 09-04-13, 06:01 AM
jfelbab

Just got a call from my Lexus dealership alerting me that the new 2014 RX350 models will be in near the end of this month.
Old 09-04-13, 06:12 AM
StLucchese
Rookie

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Just got a call from my Lexus dealership alerting me that the new 2014 RX350 models will be in near the end of this month.
congrats, i know you been moderating this forum for a while, hope you do both
Old 09-05-13, 09:00 PM
Rabjr5
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2004 RX330 with 168,167 miles on it..... I drive it daily... it is a fine car.... I just started hearing the front wheel bearing... I will fix everything as needed because it is such a comfortable and reliable car.

U NEVER, I MEAN NEVER... get your true value trading in a car.. the stealership will NOT pay even trade in value... by the time they finish adding in allowances and rebates and discounts, they WILL trick some people into thinking they are getting a good fair deal..... Do your homework....

Talk new car without TRADE IN, then after you are confident that you are getting there BEST OFFER ask them just wondering If I were to trade the RX330 what would I get for it.

If you like the car and have taken care of it, then I would get the work performed and keep it... 91,000 miles on this car is just getting it broken in.... If you don't like the car then try to sell it outright.

Good LUCK

Last edited by Rabjr5; 09-08-13 at 06:10 AM.
Old 09-06-13, 10:52 AM
LEXRX04
Driver

I'm with these guys...I would hold onto it...knowing that you own a lexus...at some point even if you get a new one, your going to be in the same boat at some point needing to put money into it. So it boils down to if you want a new vehicle or not.
Old 09-08-13, 04:05 PM
Denvermgb
Rookie

You might also turn it into a learning experience for your son who knocked off the seat panel. Have him help you do that repair, he might learn a new skill and you will save a little $.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 90,000 2004 RX330 -- Sell or Keep?