RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Huge RX 330 75,000 mile maintenance bill!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-13, 09:45 AM
koric
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These cars are just rebadged Toyotas. Why would you pay a premium in labor and parts just for the L badge? Take it to an independent Toyota mechanic and they can fix all of those things at a much lower price. Be a smart consumer.
Old 08-31-13, 10:34 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by koric
These cars are just rebadged Toyotas. Why would you pay a premium in labor and parts just for the L badge? Take it to an independent Toyota mechanic and they can fix all of those things at a much lower price. Be a smart consumer.
While these Lexus may share many driveline components with their Toyota counterparts, these are far from the days of GM rebadging and I think it a disservice to make that comparison. Yes, Toyota techs should have no problems working on these. Any competent tech can work on these. Any competent tech can work on most any vehicle assuming they have access to the necessary specs, manuals and tools. The really good ones do not even need those. I have many times recommended that members here use the services of a local Toyota shop.

However, the RX is not a rebadged Toyota, IMO. I might bite on the GX and LX.
Old 08-31-13, 02:18 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
Here is an update.

After challenging the initial $7,000 quotation (and that did not even include CA tax) and that I would go to Toyota and independent mechanics for alternative quotes, the SA asked what type of figure I had in mind.

Chris
Wow what a scammers. Asking the client how much will be willing to pay. I would be walk away in that moment. They need to give you the correct price not asking you about it. So unprofessional.
Old 08-31-13, 08:04 PM
koric
Driver

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
While these Lexus may share many driveline components with their Toyota counterparts, these are far from the days of GM rebadging and I think it a disservice to make that comparison. Yes, Toyota techs should have no problems working on these. Any competent tech can work on these. Any competent tech can work on most any vehicle assuming they have access to the necessary specs, manuals and tools. The really good ones do not even need those. I have many times recommended that members here use the services of a local Toyota shop.

Toyota Harrier.
Old 09-01-13, 09:06 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by koric
Toyota Harrier.
Of course, point out the obvious. Not seeing the forest through the trees.

Still, I stand by my point that these Lexus vehicles go beyond the days of GM rebadging. That was quite pitiful.
Old 09-01-13, 10:07 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If one want's to deal in absolutes the Harrier is actually a rebadged Lexus.
Old 09-02-13, 10:13 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

even though theybrought it down 2 grand, 5k is still pretty steep!
Old 09-02-13, 10:17 AM
Leowaxx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like thy try to rob u while doing the maintenace . Try to get quote in another shop or place.
Old 09-02-13, 02:56 PM
Aprazur
Rookie

I would have went somewhere else just for the principal of it.. I would not trust that they would be mad at you for having the audacity to question their price. And try to get even by using cheaper parts or sabotaging something else on your vehicle.

Like getting mad at waiting too long in the burger drive through line..... they spit in you burger.

Rascal
Old 09-10-13, 02:03 PM
Wings34
Driver School Candidate

The 75K service in the manual says oil change, rotation, cabin air filter. Where they got the rest of this I will never know. Go by what the manual says, not what the dealer tells you is "preventative maintenance." If you really have a belt issue where it is obviously cracking etc, then replace it. Other than that they are raping you.
Old 09-10-13, 02:12 PM
Wings34
Driver School Candidate

You really don't think that the RX is a re-badged Highlander? My mom has a RX 330 (2004) and my wife has a 2007 Highlander. I see almost no difference mechanically. Same engine etc.
Old 09-10-13, 04:21 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Wings34
You really don't think that the RX is a re-badged Highlander? My mom has a RX 330 (2004) and my wife has a 2007 Highlander. I see almost no difference mechanically. Same engine etc.
No I don't and you are obviously not seeing what I was getting at. I conceded the point about the shared driveline in my original message in this thread. As for the comparisons between the Highlander and RX3330, no they are not the same. The Highlander seats 7 while the RX seats 5, for example. I am arguing about the term "rebadging."

Those of us who lived through the days of GM rebadging have an understanding on where I am coming from on this topic. There were vehicles identical with few exceptions. You could take body panels off one and put them on another brand without problem. Heck, if you stripped off all the company logos and badges you could not tell one brand's vehicle from another. I have opened the hood on a new Olds only to see a Chevy labeled engine inside. I am not trying to convince anyone that Toyota/Lexus is not sharing components. That is how things work today. What I am saying is that what they are doing is far from "rebadging" in what it meant years ago and therefore a disservice. The only correction I will concede to is the commonality between the Toyota Harrier and the Lexus RX series.

Old 09-16-13, 11:32 AM
Wings34
Driver School Candidate

No I don't and you are obviously not seeing what I was getting at. I conceded the point about the shared driveline in my original message in this thread. As for the comparisons between the Highlander and RX3330, no they are not the same. The Highlander seats 7 while the RX seats 5, for example. I am arguing about the term "rebadging."

Those of us who lived through the days of GM rebadging have an understanding on where I am coming from on this topic. There were vehicles identical with few exceptions. You could take body panels off one and put them on another brand without problem. Heck, if you stripped off all the company logos and badges you could not tell one brand's vehicle from another. I have opened the hood on a new Olds only to see a Chevy labeled engine inside. I am not trying to convince anyone that Toyota/Lexus is not sharing components. That is how things work today. What I am saying is that what they are doing is far from "rebadging" in what it meant years ago and therefore a disservice. The only correction I will concede to is the commonality between the Toyota Harrier and the Lexus RX series.
Actually our model Highlander seats 5 as well. No option for third seat. Although, I did misinterpret what you were getting at. They are definitely not just rebadged. I guess my point was that they are very similar and mirror each other when it comes to power train, cooling system, power steering etc.
Old 09-17-13, 12:25 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Wings34
Actually our model Highlander seats 5 as well. No option for third seat. Although, I did misinterpret what you were getting at. They are definitely not just rebadged. I guess my point was that they are very similar and mirror each other when it comes to power train, cooling system, power steering etc.
Sorry if I sounded a bit defensive on this topic. I just feel that the "rebadged" term gets thrown around all too often and for the wrong reasons. Today's auto market is all about global platforms and maximizing use of the engineering and production budgets. Some of the comments I see come off as nothing more than reductio ad absurdum. Using the same reasoning one might say that a Bentley is just a VW since it uses one of VW's W12 engines.

Note that this is also a different discussion than one about taking your vehicle to a Toyota dealership for service or obtaining Lexus parts from the the Toyota parts bin. If someone local were to ask me about a shop to use for their Lexus service I would not be recommending either of the Lexus dealerships in the area.
Old 09-18-13, 09:59 PM
malikw6142
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX3302004
I agree with others, either try your local Toyota dealer (ours is very reasonable on my 4Runner), or find a reputable independent mechanic.
Prices are too high for the parts and Labor. Dealer would be the last I will get any quotes from. They are in the business of making money. I was a mechanic and caught them in lies many times. They can only rip you off if you are not familiar with cars. BMW in Dallas, gave me a quotation for Overheating for $1600, I did not get it repaired and brought the car paying them 65 for checking. Got home and replaced the Bottle cap for radiator - Problem Fixed. Wrote to dealer and they refunded my $65. I had similar problem in England. Audi A4 had a known problem with Automatic gear Box(they Call it Gear Box and not Transmission). Audi UK contributed 75% of the parts cost so I had to dish out only about 3000 Sterling(English Pounds). Transmission went bad in 5 months, they replaced it free of charge. If I hadn't done my research they would have charged me about 8000 Sterling.
Please always try to get 2-3 different opinions before commencing any work of this nature. Dealer rip more people then other mechanics.

Quick Reply: Huge RX 330 75,000 mile maintenance bill!