RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

iPad Mini in an RX330 (Custom Sound System Demo)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-13, 07:20 PM
RX330iPad
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation iPad Mini in an RX330 (Custom Sound System Demo)

I finally got some time to post a video demo of my iPad Mini Lexus RX330 custom sound system install with Sony App Remote. I give a basic walkthrough of some of its capabilities, including Google Search, Google Maps navigation and Music playback.

Let me know what you like/dislike about it!
Old 07-29-13, 09:23 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well done! That really expands the car's capabilities to another level! I would love to see a full HU replacement system. If Apple really comes out with an iPhone with a large screen that could be the perfect system, just slip it in the receiver and everything is there.
Old 07-29-13, 09:53 PM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

LIKES: I think its an awesome idea and you made it work, and work well.....and who wouldn't want an iPad mini interface, in any vehicle!?

DISLIKES: I don't think the final fit and finish is "on par" with a Lexus vehicle, and it appears to protrude from the dash area quite a bit (a side photo would be nice to see)...maybe rotating the iPad to portrait mode, and relocating the seat heaters, so the iPad can "hang down" lower........then it would have looked more "natural" or "OEM"

Still, I love to see people customize and personalize their vehicles....good work!
Old 07-29-13, 11:05 PM
RX330iPad
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by defo
LIKES: I think its an awesome idea and you made it work, and work well.....and who wouldn't want an iPad mini interface, in any vehicle!?

DISLIKES: I don't think the final fit and finish is "on par" with a Lexus vehicle, and it appears to protrude from the dash area quite a bit (a side photo would be nice to see)...maybe rotating the iPad to portrait mode, and relocating the seat heaters, so the iPad can "hang down" lower........then it would have looked more "natural" or "OEM"

Still, I love to see people customize and personalize their vehicles....good work!
Thanks for the constructive feedback! I was initially afraid the item was going to stick out too much or hit the side frames that surround the seat heater area and not fit. Luckily it did, and I still have access to the controls below it. The shift **** is very close to the screen when in "Park" but I've tested it and there is no chance of hitting the screen and is completely out of the way when in "Drive" or "Reverse".

The grey does not match perfectly, but the other shades in the cabin make it so that it doesn't stand out so much. I've always wanted a computer in my car and we've reached the point where an iPad Mini can provide that for me. I think in a couple of years, this sort of thing will be very easy to apply or already built in, so my time window for making it happen was coming to a close. I'll take the pic from the angle you requested and post back in a few days.
Old 07-30-13, 05:45 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Awesome idea !!!! I was going to try to integrate a Samsung Galaxy into my SC430 and this gave me some ideas. I don't like the bulky look though.....makes the unit look "out of place" but I suppose due to the size there's not much leeway.