RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 330 2006 Engine fan will not shut off HELP

Old 07-03-13, 06:42 AM
sportsmom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RX 330 2006 Engine fan will not shut off HELP

Here is an outline of events:

1. Sunday the 23rd

a. I first noticed my remote did not work and the fog lights and fan motor would not shut off

b. Master switch for windows did not work but each window switch did

c. Battery died. AAA was able to jump it

d. Drove it to local mechanic

2. Tuesday the 24th-Local mechanic said there was an electrical problem

a. Tried replacing a relay but did not correct the problem

b. Said the master switch probably needed to be replaced

c. Suggested I take it to the Lexus dealer as he does not have a lot of experience with these types of electrical problems

3. Wednesday the 25th we took the car to the Lexus Dealer

4. Thursday the 26th they said they were working on it and they had never seen this problem, could not figure it out and were talking to the factory…blah, blah….

5. Friday the 27th they were still working on it, checking the programming, blah, blah. They fried my battery in the process of trying to figure out the problem because the fan and fog lights kept draining the battery. Told me I had to buy a ‘Lexus private label battery for $165 (Have never paid more than $100 for a battery). Said it was the only way they could continue so I said yes.

6. Monday July 1st they said they found the problem: They said the electrical problem was caused by two wires under the passenger seat that had come lose and disconnected. Then also told me that either my stereo or amplifier was not working and may have to be replaced for at least $650 for the stereo plus installation and would take a week to 10 days to get it. When I pushed him for how much all this was going to cost he went into a long story about all the hours they put in for 5 minutes and said they gave me a big break by only charging me $950 total for the battery and labor to identify the problem.

7. Tuesday July 1st they told me they were still checking and programming everything….and the stereo was definitely fried due the electrical short.

a. I pushed back and told him my wife drove it in and the stereo was working fine when she dropped it off. Their ‘certified factory trained technician’ cause the damage and asked why I should be responsible. I also asked him for a written explanation of exactly what two wires caused the electrical short, resulted in a fried battery and stereo.

8. They will be calling me Wednesday morning to let me know the latest

Does anyone have any advice for me?
Old 07-03-13, 07:46 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You should contact Lexus corporate to see if they want to extend any goodwill and reduce the price. In the meantime, do not let the dealer spend any more of your money. Stop with the battery and the labor for finding the short.

At worst, if you get no help from Lexus or the dealer you do not want to spend Lexus bucks on stereo parts. For the same money you could get top of the line aftermarket stuff with all the bells and whistles. Good luck and keep us posted!

PS: Tell the dealer you plan to contact Lexus corporate for some goodwill help on this, magical things might happen for you. Dealers really hate complaints to Lexus.

Last edited by Carver; 07-03-13 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-03-13, 10:33 AM
sportsmom
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, going now to pick up the car and see what the dealer has to say. I just don't see how the wiring under the driver seat can cause the engine fan to shut off. I will keep you updated!!
Jill
Old 07-03-13, 12:49 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Carver
You should contact Lexus corporate to see if they want to extend any goodwill and reduce the price. In the meantime, do not let the dealer spend any more of your money. Stop with the battery and the labor for finding the short.

At worst, if you get no help from Lexus or the dealer you do not want to spend Lexus bucks on stereo parts. For the same money you could get top of the line aftermarket stuff with all the bells and whistles. Good luck and keep us posted!

PS: Tell the dealer you plan to contact Lexus corporate for some goodwill help on this, magical things might happen for you. Dealers really hate complaints to Lexus.
+1 for this....good luck and keep us posted
Old 07-03-13, 12:54 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Report back ASAP, we want to know...
Old 07-04-13, 06:12 AM
sportsmom
Driver School Candidate

So I got it back and they still say that the wiring under the passenger seat was shorted out which in turn caused the fan to stay on. but they were going to offer me $100 on a $800 radio, which they broke!! And the button to the gas door doesn't work! Didn't find out till I hit Michigan! I swear they see a woman coming and figure take her money!! pisses me off!! Calling Corporate on Monday, to see what happens. Are there any experienced mechanics out there who can verify that what they said caused the fan to stay on? PLZ let me know!1
Jill

Last edited by sportsmom; 07-04-13 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-04-13, 07:51 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's impossible to say what mischief a short can cause, it could send errant shocks to your computer and cause all sorts of oddities. These are complex cars. My sister is 1250 dollars in to finding out why her 57 T-Bird dies every time she turns right. She's a bit frustrated as well.