RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Trunk carpet sliding. Any suggestions to keep it still?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-13, 06:51 AM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trunk carpet sliding. Any suggestions to keep it still?

Not a major issue but can be annoying at times.

The carpet in the back slides towards the rear of the vehicle. The only reason why this becomes an issue is that the trunk won't close. When I hit the button to close, the carpet is obstructing where the lock meets the latch and then raises back up. So either I roll up the carpet just enough for it to close or have to let down the rear seats and pull the carpet from the back. If that doesn't work I have to take out everything in the back, move the carpet and then put everything back inside.

Is it just me and or does this happen to anyone else?
Old 06-11-13, 06:59 AM
MDRX330
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could try velcro.

Doesn't happen to me but i don't open my trunk that often.
Old 06-11-13, 07:09 AM
1koolfella
Pole Position

I may try that. I'm not a seamstress but I guess I can sow or maybe staple the velcro to each side and see if it will stay put.
Old 06-11-13, 07:13 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Switch over to the all weather mat. It is only $56 with our discount I think at Sewell. No more issues on sliding. It fits well and will not move. Check it out.
Old 06-11-13, 07:19 AM
MDRX330
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1koolfella
I may try that. I'm not a seamstress but I guess I can sow or maybe staple the velcro to each side and see if it will stay put.
You attach velcro using the adhesive side so no sewing required.

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Switch over to the all weather mat. It is only $56 with our discount I think at Sewell. No more issues on sliding. It fits well and will not move. Check it out.
Is there a discount code that needs to be used. I want all weather mats all around.
Old 06-11-13, 07:22 AM
MDRX330
Rookie

Damn... They've discontinued the floor mats but still have the cargo mat. I really don't want to pay close to $200 for the weathertech mats.
Old 06-11-13, 07:35 AM
JLeffler
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happens here too every time we get the stroller out. I will try the velcro....good idea.
Old 06-11-13, 07:58 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Yup no more all weather mats. Had I know I could have bought 2 sets...
Old 06-11-13, 02:21 PM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

The carpet in the back slides towards the rear of the vehicle. The only reason why this becomes an issue is that the trunk won't close. When I hit the button to close, the carpet is obstructing where the lock meets the latch and then raises back up. So either I roll up the carpet just enough for it to close or have to let down the rear seats and pull the carpet from the back. If that doesn't work I have to take out everything in the back, move the carpet and then put everything back inside.

Try the non-slip drawer liners stuff you can usually find at discount stores. It comes in a roll, and you can just cut a few strips to put under the mat. No glue, sewing or anything. I use it to keep other stuff from sliding around and have cut small pieces to put in the under-neath cargo area.
Old 06-14-13, 04:38 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Thanks GadgetmanN.

I know exactly what you're talking about and I put some in the trunk yesterday and I'm going to see how it goes. My mind was thinking about that rubber carpet liner that Sewell had for $80 but my wallet said you better go to the dollar store. lol.

Oh and the reason why I stay away from velcro is that it has adhesive on the back. The car will get so hot, the adhesive becomes sticky, then melts and becomes useless. I'm going through that now with my ez-pass, one of the strips fell off.
Old 06-14-13, 06:19 PM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

Thanks GadgetmanN.

I know exactly what you're talking about and I put some in the trunk yesterday and I'm going to see how it goes. My mind was thinking about that rubber carpet liner that Sewell had for $80 but my wallet said you better go to the dollar store. lol.

Oh and the reason why I stay away from velcro is that it has adhesive on the back. The car will get so hot, the adhesive becomes sticky, then melts and becomes useless. I'm going through that now with my ez-pass, one of the strips fell off.
No problem! For just a couple bucks you can try it and if you don't like it, no big loss.
Old 06-14-13, 06:51 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I keep a large laundry basket in my Gen III to keep everything collected. When it's in and filled up, the carpet (under it) slides to the rear. If I take it out, no issues. And being a hybrid, I accelerate pretty easy most times. Still ....

But not a big deal, just one of those things .

Old 06-23-13, 06:41 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

GadgetManN, Thanks again.

So far no sliding. I had a bunch of stuff in the back, all that stuff moved around but the carpet stayed put. Also had to make a few hard stops and carpet still in place, some New Yorkers are not the friendliest or wisest drivers especially now that the weather has been getting nice.

I'm only sorry I didn't ask this sooner.