RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 330 towing uhaul trailer cross country

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-13, 06:45 PM
ranajo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 330 towing uhaul trailer cross country

Am looking at hauling a Uhaul 6X12 cargo trailer cross country to Northern California using our 2006 Lexus AWD RX330. The cargo trailer weighs 2000 lbs empty and will likely weigh about 3000 lbs loaded,

The car has done 60K miles has been well maintained. It does not have a factory installed trailer hitch.

Would it be advisable to attempt this road-trip and if so what precautions should I take with regard to properly equipping the vehicle to make the trip. Obviously a suitable trailer hitch will be installed but are there other steps I should take to ensure that we can make the trek safely without any major problems?
Old 06-05-13, 07:16 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Use Premium fuel, and don't push it too hard. Check oil level and trans fluid periodically as well.
Old 06-05-13, 08:22 AM
EDness
Driver School Candidate

add a trans cooler and change the fluid.

imo get something one size smaller. 6x12 is a big trailer for this car. I've tow one fully loaded with a 4runner and wish I have a bigger truck.
Old 06-05-13, 09:59 AM
Dadikins
Pole Position

I'd suggest against this. If you can get the RX transported fairly cheaply (assuming it is a one-way trip) AND get a good deal on a rental that is capable of towing, it might give you better peace of mind.
Old 06-06-13, 12:37 PM
ranajo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DanDevoe
I'd suggest against this. If you can get the RX transported fairly cheaply (assuming it is a one-way trip) AND get a good deal on a rental that is capable of towing, it might give you better peace of mind.
It would cost $1200 to ship the car and $2000 for a one way rental on a 10' truck with insurance. Then the gas consumption at 10mpg for 3000 miles would be another $1100. So we are looking at a total of $4300.

Renting a trailer one way would cost only $800 in comparison and we'd get better gas mileage with the RX330 pulling it.

Why do you advise against doing this with the RX330?
Old 06-06-13, 01:59 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The reason is you are going to be at the max capacity for 3,000 miles. Are you sure you have the tow prep package? If you don't, you are going to burn up your transmission.
Old 06-06-13, 03:23 PM
Dadikins
Pole Position

Just the pure distance & weight would scare me.

Instead of renting a truck, could you rent a car that could pull a trailer, have someone drive that, and someone else drive the RX?

I would just be afraid of burning out your tranny.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 06-06-13, 03:49 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

While not officially stated in any RX literature I could find, if you look at similar Toyota products (such as the RAV4 and Highlander) with the same V6 engine and transmission installed you will note that their towing capacity is only 1500 or 2000 lbs without the Towing Package prep installed.
Old 06-06-13, 04:44 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

You can put in a new rebuilt tranny for 2500. at most shops. In my opinion it is worth the "risk". You need to drive it easy through the route and not mash the pedal down. Drive slow and easy and you will be fine. I towed a 2200 pound trailer across country in mine and did not have any lasting issues. I checked fluids often and took it easy.
Old 06-06-13, 04:57 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Keep in mind, you are going to get close to 10 mpg towing with the RX.

If you do decide to embark on this journey with the RX, remember to put the shifter to "4" if the car starts hunting for gears/shifting back and forth.

Definitely make sure you have the tow prep package.

Remember you do not want to exceed the towing capacity. Not only because of mechanical stress, but due to legal issues. God forbid something happens, lawyers will have a play day knowing you were overweight.

If your trailer is already pushing 3,000 lbs. The combined weight of everything (occupants, RX itself, cargo, trailer) must be under 8745 lb.

From the manual:
The total trailer weight (trailer weight plus its cargo
load) must not exceed the following.
Exceeding this weight is dangerous.

Without towing package 907 kg (2000 lb.)
With towing package 1588 kg (3500 lb.)

If towing a trailer and cargo weighing over 907 kg
(2000 lb.), Lexus recommends to use a sway control
device with sufficient capacity.

The gross combination weight (sum of your vehicle weight plus
its load and the total trailer weight) must not exceed
the following.

Without towing package 3286 kg (7245 lb.)
With towing package 3966 kg (8745 lb.)

Trailer hitch assemblies have different weight
capacities established by the hitch manufacturer.

Even though the vehicle may be physically capable of
towing a higher weight, the operator must determine
the maximum weight rating of the particular hitch
assembly and never exceed the maximum weight
rating specified for the trailer hitch. Exceeding the
maximum weight rating set by the trailer hitch
manufacturer can cause an...

Last edited by hypervish; 06-06-13 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-06-13, 05:00 PM
ranajo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the responses.

Re renting a car to tow the trailer, rental companies will not allow their vehicles to be used for this purpose primarily because of liability issues. If there were to be an accident, I'd be personally liable.

I am glad I posed the question on this forum because I assumed that since the officially permitted weight is 3500 pounds, I would not have a problem staying well below that level.

I don't have the tow prep package on my car.

Yes, you are right about the Highlander having a 1500 pound limit. I wonder what the rationale is for the Lexus having a substantially higher limit given the similarity between the two vehicles.
Old 06-06-13, 05:10 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by ranajo
Thanks for all the responses.

Re renting a car to tow the trailer, rental companies will not allow their vehicles to be used for this purpose primarily because of liability issues. If there were to be an accident, I'd be personally liable.

I am glad I posed the question on this forum because I assumed that since the officially permitted weight is 3500 pounds, I would not have a problem staying well below that level.

I don't have the tow prep package on my car.

Yes, you are right about the Highlander having a 1500 pound limit. I wonder what the rationale is for the Lexus having a substantially higher limit given the similarity between the two vehicles.
Do NOT tow with your RX then. The limit without the tow prep. package is 2000 lbs.
Old 06-06-13, 08:24 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How do you know you do not have the tow prep package? If you are assuming you do not because you don't have a hitch, then you are mistaken because the tow prep package did not come with a hitch (crazy but true).

Do you have a transmission cooler?
Old 06-06-13, 08:39 PM
ranajo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Adamjeeps
How do you know you do not have the tow prep package? If you are assuming you do not because you don't have a hitch, then you are mistaken because the tow prep package did not come with a hitch (crazy but true).

Do you have a transmission cooler?

I assumed I did not because there is no hitch. How would I find out? Also, how would I know if I have a transmission cooler.

Sorry about the novice questions.
Old 06-06-13, 08:59 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ranajo
I assumed I did not because there is no hitch. How would I find out? Also, how would I know if I have a transmission cooler.

Sorry about the novice questions.
Here is what you would see if you have the Tow Package installed by looking for the transmission cooler radiator:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7652176-post12.html

Quick Reply: RX 330 towing uhaul trailer cross country