RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 Rear Spark Plug Change (***DIY with Pics***)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-13, 08:49 AM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

he has posted by far the best instructions...follow them tom a tee (and get the stubby wrenches) and you won't go wrong...take your time and be patient and you will have no problems
Old 11-28-13, 02:30 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks. Glad it helped. Ive also updated the PDF to account for all the recommendations from others.
Old 11-29-13, 09:58 PM
bobamsden
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a full stomach on Thursday I went after that last bolt . After f-bombs and a few scrapes that little SOB was defeated and the rear plugs are done. Good for another 110,000 miles.
Thanks
Old 04-02-14, 10:43 AM
ChicagoRJ
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default spark plugs for rx330

So, are the OEM plugs for RX330... NGK plugs, or just a viable alternative ???
Old 04-02-14, 12:13 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoRJ
So, are the OEM plugs for RX330... NGK plugs, or just a viable alternative ???
Welcome to Club Lexus, ChicagoRJ.

This is right from the 2006 RX330 Owner's Manual:

RX330 Rear Spark Plug Change (***DIY with Pics***)-screen-shot-2014-04-02-at-3.10.07-pm.png

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...9U/pdf/6-2.pdf

So, either is fine. Denso is more "Toyota" though either is good for Asian imports. NGK is a very good plug and I grew up using them in a number of my Japanese import vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
JBSGROUP (10-12-23)
Old 04-02-14, 02:48 PM
ChicagoRJ
Driver

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Welcome to Club Lexus, ChicagoRJ.

This is right from the 2006 RX330 Owner's Manual:

Attachment 322108

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...9U/pdf/6-2.pdf

So, either is fine. Denso is more "Toyota" though either is good for Asian imports. NGK is a very good plug and I grew up using them in a number of my Japanese import vehicles.
Ok, good to know. Lexus wants $900, Toyota wants $550, Firestone will charge $340 for the new plugs... looks like Firestone is the winner I've used them before on my SC430 for oil changes, tires and brake jobs... I think they should be able to handle a few plugs... we shall see, it's going in on Friday..... just want to make sure what parts they are using and making sure the plugs are "good".... assuming they MUST be iridium plugs to be good enough, correct ??
Old 04-02-14, 04:07 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Dang...$340 is a killer price given most places charge 6 hours for the job minimum. Do it...don't think twice.

Or perhaps thats just the price for the front plugs
Old 04-02-14, 08:07 PM
ChicagoRJ
Driver

Originally Posted by alchemist
Dang...$340 is a killer price given most places charge 6 hours for the job minimum. Do it...don't think twice.

Or perhaps thats just the price for the front plugs
Yeah, she's going in on Friday morning I'm hoping they don't come back and say, oh, we did not know it was more work, it's gonna be higher... but they have never jacked me before, and I'm a repeat customer for tires, oil changes and brake jobs... they been working on my RX and SC for the last 7 years or so...
Old 04-02-14, 09:41 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Yeah, she's going in on Friday morning I'm hoping they don't come back and say, oh, we did not know it was more work, it's gonna be higher... but they have never jacked me before, and I'm a repeat customer for tires, oil changes and brake jobs... they been working on my RX and SC for the last 7 years or so...
Ask to see the old plugs they take out just to make sure they do all six instead of leaving that problematic one in.
Old 04-02-14, 10:36 PM
Bill C
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I read everything and if you don't include using di-electric grease on the spark plug insulator and the inside of the rubber boot portion of each coil, you are setting yourself up for future problems.
The new plugs will be clean and you are using the original coils, so not using the di-electric grease you have a potential problem, X's three.
I replaced the center coil on the front side three times, over one year before I got smart. I belive it was this list that set me straight!
And I am a retired electronic design engineer, and I have worked on special ignition systems for over 60 years.
I had to learn about the new way on working with these coils and spark plugs.
I rest my case, but with 105K on the best car I have ever oned, I will replace the other 5 spark plugs this next year and I will apply the di-electric grease to all the plugs and coils before they go back together! Keep up the great work. list folks!
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill C:
JBSGROUP (10-12-23), tempestv8 (03-04-18)
Old 04-03-14, 07:07 AM
ChicagoRJ
Driver

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Ask to see the old plugs they take out just to make sure they do all six instead of leaving that problematic one in.
good idea... i'll give them some bs that I wanna see how the plugs held up for over 10 years
Old 04-03-14, 07:09 AM
ChicagoRJ
Driver

Originally Posted by Bill C
I read everything and if you don't include using di-electric grease on the spark plug insulator and the inside of the rubber boot portion of each coil, you are setting yourself up for future problems.
The new plugs will be clean and you are using the original coils, so not using the di-electric grease you have a potential problem, X's three.
I replaced the center coil on the front side three times, over one year before I got smart. I belive it was this list that set me straight!
And I am a retired electronic design engineer, and I have worked on special ignition systems for over 60 years.
I rest my case, but with 105K on the best car I have ever oned, I will replace the other 5 spark plugs this next year and I will apply the di-electric grease to all the plugs and coils before they go back together! Keep up the great work. list folks!
Is this "grease" something they would have at the shop? Where exactly to they put the grease, just put a lil dab on the coil ??
Old 04-03-14, 08:33 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill C
no I did. just didnt mention it. Thanks for your input. I've done with and without on cars before with no issues.
Old 04-03-14, 08:43 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

good idea... i'll give them some bs that I wanna see how the plugs held up for over 10 years
You can take some pictures to post here to show wear of the plugs. Just get some closeups. Actually, seeing the plugs will also give you an idea as to any other possible problems such as problematic coils or fouling of the plugs by various means.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_su...d.asp?mode=nml

Is this "grease" something they would have at the shop? Where exactly to they put the grease, just put a lil dab on the coil ??
They should be using this. Ask the shop if they do. It is a good practice. Just a little dab is all that is required. No need to glob it on. Use it on the spark plug boots in my older vehicles. I also use it on the garage and attic light fixtures where moisture has a tendency to take its toll on the light socket making it hard to remove the light bulbs.

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/p...-grease-detail
Old 10-25-14, 02:33 PM
JLSC
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just finished replacing all the plugs and coils using the instructions from Alchemist. These instructions are great and a must have for the DIY job! I replaced the coils since a front one failed recently. All the parts were from Sewell. Like others here mentioned, the rear surge tank stay bolts are difficult to access and put back in, and really extends the time this job would otherwise take. I ended up removing the stay bracket for the intake connector assembly, which made getting at the 12mm bolt at the back of the surge tank a bit easier. Lots of $$ saved and the vehicle runs great so thanks again for the instructions!

Quick Reply: RX330 Rear Spark Plug Change (***DIY with Pics***)