RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

330 RX lower control arms

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-13, 04:38 PM
mdkb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 330 RX lower control arms

so, I went to a Firestone repair shop to have a nail removed from my tire. They took care of it but said my brake fluid was low so I should have it flushed. I agreed but they said they found something that was unsafe and didn't recommend the flushing until I had the other repair done. Said I need my lower control arms and sway bars replaced. Parts are $325 but labor is $1700! I cried. I have an '06 w/160,000 miles....all repairs have been done at dealer until last month when they said the catalytic converter needed to be replaced - $3800 for that. I found a local mechanic who did it for $1900. What do you guys recommend? Is it time to replace the car (which I can't afford to do)? or do the recommended fixes? Are these costs high? Thanks for any guidance you can give me
Old 03-09-13, 04:52 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mdkb
so, I went to a Firestone repair shop to have a nail removed from my tire. They took care of it but said my brake fluid was low so I should have it flushed. I agreed but they said they found something that was unsafe and didn't recommend the flushing until I had the other repair done. Said I need my lower control arms and sway bars replaced. Parts are $325 but labor is $1700! I cried. I have an '06 w/160,000 miles....all repairs have been done at dealer until last month when they said the catalytic converter needed to be replaced - $3800 for that. I found a local mechanic who did it for $1900. What do you guys recommend? Is it time to replace the car (which I can't afford to do)? or do the recommended fixes? Are these costs high? Thanks for any guidance you can give me
Welcome to Club Lexus, mdkb. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

First, get a second opinion on that front suspension. Not unheard of here for those problems. Even Lexus vehicles will wear out. Perhaps you could take your RX to a Toyota dealership or your independent shop for a second opinion. Never hurts to get additional input and pricing. Do not tell what you have heard previous, see what they come up with on their own. Just ask to have your vehicle inspected. Small fee involved usually.

Do you like your RX? Other than these problems is there anything else? Keep in mind that if the RX is paid off this is a lot cheaper than another set of car payments. Something to consider.

Here is some additional reading for you:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...aking-oil.html
Old 03-09-13, 04:59 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus. Don't do it! You really need to get a second opinion on both the brake and control arm issues. I would recommend either a Toyota or Lexus dealership. The inspection should not cost much. I am very skeptical of shops like Firestone or Jiffy Lube they are known for doing unnecessary work.
Old 03-09-13, 06:20 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RUN from that shop, the are clearrly terrible, i would even ask to speak to the manager/owner to let them know what is going on.

the issue is this, when your brake fluid is low it is for two reasons only, pads are almost worn out, or you have a leak. doing a brake fluid flush because the fluid is low is completely wrong. by simply checking your brake fluid you can alomst gauge how much life is left in your pads.

lastly, when was the last time brake fluid wore out, i see no need to ever change the brake fluid. perhaps if the car was 20 plus years old, 300,000 +miles on it and the car was sitting, maybe i would consider it.

also, how do lower control arms and a sway bar wear??? maybe the bushings are worn, but you would know that becuase the front end would be knocking like mad. and if the bushings were bad, it sure as hell isnt unsafe.

that shop is trying to hose you because work is slow in the first couple months of the year, get a second opinion.
Old 03-09-13, 06:39 PM
mdkb
Driver School Candidate

Thank your for the replies. Yes, I love my RX! and have't had a car payment in 2 years, which has been nice. This past year has been incredibly expensive though...I had the rack and pinoin steering replaced for $1600, the headlight for $1100, the A/C condensor & O-rings for $900 as well as the 150,000 mile service for over $500...plus the passenger side mirror & assembly (garage got in the way) for $800 and 4 new tires. so, I have a lot in it and really enjoy the car but don't want to invest more if other things will start breaking down. The dealer had checked it out last month and didn't see the bushings/control arms issue which is why I was surprised by Firestone today. I'll have the guy who replaced the cat convert take a look. Thanks again...
Old 03-09-13, 07:09 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mdkb
Thank your for the replies. Yes, I love my RX! and have't had a car payment in 2 years, which has been nice. This past year has been incredibly expensive though...I had the rack and pinoin steering replaced for $1600, the headlight for $1100, the A/C condensor & O-rings for $900 as well as the 150,000 mile service for over $500...plus the passenger side mirror & assembly (garage got in the way) for $800 and 4 new tires. so, I have a lot in it and really enjoy the car but don't want to invest more if other things will start breaking down. The dealer had checked it out last month and didn't see the bushings/control arms issue which is why I was surprised by Firestone today. I'll have the guy who replaced the cat convert take a look. Thanks again...
If you have already had the rack replaced and the dealership found no problems with the items now in question then I would be highly suspicious. Definitely get that second opinion. As for the rest, sounds like many problem areas have been addressed so would think you are good to go for the most part with the exception of the normal wear items like belts, hoses, brakes, etc.
Old 03-13-13, 10:51 AM
LEXRX04
Driver

I agree with all above...places like that are known for doing things without needing them.

Always get a second opinion...
As for getting rid of it..I wouldn't...out a little money but no car payment.
Old 03-13-13, 08:21 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 63 Likes on 17 Posts

You wouldnot have to replace the sway bar itself, just the sway bar bushings friend. Secondly, I have replaced my lower control arms because the bushings go bad. I actually have a spare one I could sell you the came off an 04, which i am pretty confident work with the 06 model providing you don't have air suspension. PM me if you're interested. A company I bought them from sent me the wrong set so I have both sides IIRC.