RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Another "yes I searched" oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-13, 12:54 PM
aidan530
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another "yes I searched" oil change question

Hi everyone I just purchased a 2009 RX350 with 26k miles on it.
Now on to my question. I changed the oil when I first picked it up and found that the cap with the 3/8 drive in the filter housing cover, was over tightened and now I am unable to get it off. I had to let the oil drain past the entire cover. With not being able to get that off is there any problem with me leaving it like that and just dealing with the oil draining over the cover and making a mess or do I need to buy a whole cover assembly? Does the o ring inside really have to be replaced if I can't get it off? That cap would be just for draining the housing correct? I also don't have the tool to get the entire housing cover off, so if I could leave it and just loosen and torque with the 3/8 drive that would be great.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Jaret
Old 01-05-13, 01:55 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Any chance for a pic?
Old 01-05-13, 02:00 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

Aiden,
You can get a filter wrench easily at the parts store for cheap. The bolt that holds the filter housing is not stripped in most cases. The issue is that the heat expands and contracts the bolt threads and makes it very tight if over tightened when put on. You do need to remove the bolt holding the filter and you can do this with a wrench (Use the closed end) or a socket. The Filter is likely a metric fitting too for what its worth. You need to get the entire assembly off though and replace any rubber seals etc. Youtube can help you understand what I am saying.
Old 01-05-13, 02:24 PM
aidan530
Driver School Candidate

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...rs/oilplug.jpg

Ok I stole this picture from another thread here so I hope it works.

So the center portion that has 3/8 drive square has been overtightened. It is suppose to be removed so that the plastic piece that comes with the filter can be inserted to drain the oil from the housing. When a 3/8 drive extension is used to try and loosen the center part, the entire filter housing cap comes with it so I am not able to drain the oil with the plastic piece.
My question is that if I don't mind getting oil everywhere does it matter if that o ring is replaced? It is the seal between the "drain cap" and the entire cover, I am assuming.

And a filter wrench will not fit into that are to get around the cap.

Thanks
Old 01-05-13, 03:07 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a DIY oil change procedure with PICTURES. The GS350 and RX350 are done the same way. The old spin off disposable type oil filter went away in 2007, when Lexus started using a cartridge type oil filter.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-pictures.html

Use a filter wrench for this, like the one the guy used in the pictures. You will get much better leverage.
Old 01-05-13, 03:14 PM
aidan530
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rainbird
Here is a DIY oil change procedure with PICTURES. The GS350 and RX350 are done the same way. The old spin off disposable type oil filter went away in 2007, when Lexus started using a cartridge type oil filter.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-pictures.html

Use a filter wrench for this, like the one the guy used in the pictures. You will get much better leverage.
Thanks for the reply. I understand how the filter works. I don't have a problem getting the entire cap off to change the filter. I have a problem taking the smaller, center section of the cap in the picture I put the link of, out to shove the plastic piece in to drain the housing. When I put the 3/8 drive into it the whole cap comes off.
Again my question:
Is it ok to make a mess and not change the o ring on the center portion of the cap since I can't get it off? Or do I need to buy a new cap.
Thanks
Old 01-05-13, 05:11 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

You need to replace the o ring. They get old and will eventually leak especially if not replaced. If I were you I would take the vehicle to a cheap oil change place and let them deal with it. They will likely fix the issue and you can even tell them not to tighten it so tight next time.
Old 01-05-13, 05:20 PM
aidan530
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HtownBlue
You need to replace the o ring. They get old and will eventually leak especially if not replaced. If I were you I would take the vehicle to a cheap oil change place and let them deal with it. They will likely fix the issue and you can even tell them not to tighten it so tight next time.
If I take it to someone who doesn't know anything they will just take it off the way I did and never know the difference. I was at least aware that something was wrong. I have no problem changing the oil.
If the o ring leaks where will it leak to. As far as I can tell it is just the seal between the center drain portion and the cap. That is what I am asking, is for confirmation that this is the case. I don't care if I make a mess when I change the oil. As long as that is the only downside to not buying another cap. Does anyone have experience with the 2 piece oil filter housing cover?
Thanks
Old 01-06-13, 06:23 PM
Trebbor
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I've got exactly the same issue with my 2008. I've always changed my own oil, but decided to be lazy one time and had a quicky place do it. Since then, I've been unable to separate the two parts. There's no leak in 20,000 miles since that happened. I've tried putting the cover in a bench vise to see if I could separate it that way, but I was unable to do so. It's almost like the parts have become welded together. Probably if I tried more force or possibly some judicious taps with a mallet, they might separate, but I think I'll just leave things alone. Maybe next time I'm having other work done at the Lexus dealership, I'll ask them to separate the pieces. At least if they break it, they should have a spare. Good luck. Bob
Old 01-07-13, 03:33 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Take it to a Lexus Dealership and they will use an impact wrench to loosen the connection. An Impact wrench will bust it right off I'd bet. If not, the Lexus Techs will likely just replace the housing etc. I'm sure.

And as for "draining", as long as the oil doesn't get on the manifold or near the belts / alternator you'll simply just have a messy area where the oil falls etc.
Old 01-08-13, 11:43 AM
Jumper73
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same issue with my '09, drain plug would not separate from housing. As with Trebbor, I left it be, may be I'll take it to Lexus next time to have them separate it or replace it.

As to answer OP, I don't think you'll need to worry about it.. O-ring can certainly deteriorate and possibly cause leak, but at that point you would know what the problem is already if you start seeing drips of oil on the floor.. the way it's "fused" I doubt if it'll cause leak at all (look at Trebbor's post, 20k miles, no leak). I would replace the larger o-ring though as it's accessible.

Do what myself and Trebbor is doing and get it separated later by a mechanic/dealer.
Old 01-08-13, 11:50 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had this "problem" for at least 50,000 miles and it never leaked. A new housing from Lexus parts online is around $60 if you can't get it loose and want peace of mind.
Old 01-18-13, 07:53 PM
slackjaw07
Driver School Candidate

With the housing still on the vehicle, engage the plug with your 3/8" drive and give the handle of the wrench a firm blow with a rubber or plastic mallet. I've had to do it several times before on our RX and my Tundra. Change the oring and when you reassemble using a torque wrench and tighten to the spec shown on the oil filter element box. (It's very easy to overtighten the plug without a torque wrench.)