RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures)

Old 06-18-17, 03:40 PM
frank12933
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better replace it before it's too late.
Old 06-29-17, 06:38 AM
dmanwi
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My mother-in-law's 2008 just experienced this. She had around 100K miles on the car and she came over the other day and it was running rough. I checked under the car and saw the oil dripping. It must have just happened that day. The oil light was on. We had it towed to an independent shop and I also called Lexus. They ran the VIN and said the oil cooler lines were out of coverage by 2 months. I am just going to have the independent shop do the work. They will replace with the metal hoses. and then write to Lexus corporate to see if they will reinburse. Does anyone have any experience with getting a reimbursement out of warranty?
Old 06-29-17, 11:14 AM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by dmanwi
My mother-in-law's 2008 just experienced this. She had around 100K miles on the car and she came over the other day and it was running rough. I checked under the car and saw the oil dripping. It must have just happened that day. The oil light was on. We had it towed to an independent shop and I also called Lexus. They ran the VIN and said the oil cooler lines were out of coverage by 2 months. I am just going to have the independent shop do the work. They will replace with the metal hoses. and then write to Lexus corporate to see if they will reinburse. Does anyone have any experience with getting a reimbursement out of warranty?
Call Corporate right away. There is supposed to be a 10year extension from first use, so you may be covered under that. If you work with a dealer, also use them, sometimes they will hook you up (if you've had lots of service there, etc). How much oil was on the dipstick? You might be ok. If so, order the part around 60$ and change yourself; its not bad and there's a video on it in the DIY sticky. Sorry to hear this happened to her and another member. Just crazy of them to recall the vvti line but not this one.
Old 11-29-17, 05:11 AM
roadbike56
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I took the advice of the forum and replaced the lines. Had my private shop do it. Cost was about $365. Saved about $140 compared to Lexus dealer price.
Car is an 09, Pebble Beach Edition. It has 94,000 miles. The lines were still intact, I just didn't want to risk catastrophic failure. The old rubber lines were not cracked but were rock hard. We really like this car and intend to keep it for a while so the repair is justified as a preventative maintenance cost.
Old 12-04-17, 07:51 AM
truenorth
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default TrueNorth reports back

Hi community. I'm TrueNorth and I started this thread way back at page one. RoadBike, it was a good idea to just go ahead and replace the hose assembly. Mine failed and when I look at it today, I can't see the tiny hole that blew out all the oil. The assembly looks ok, so even a visual inspection couldn't reveal a part about to fail, or even one that has failed.

I was pretty disappointed with the response from my local Lexus dealer "Heffner Lexus" and I intended to get rid of my RX350. But things got in the way, it was running ok after its adventure and I just didn't get to it. Today it has 270,000 kilometers (almost 170k miles) on it and it's running fine. So these engines can survive no oil for a couple minutes.
Old 12-25-17, 03:03 PM
Bruin97
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Lexus RX350 oil cooler line failure - adding another report to this list!

Like many others, we had no idea this was a Lexus known problem and common occurrence with our model and year, until it happened to us. Amazed to see maybe hundreds of these stories on these Lexus forums and from internet searches. For every story posted, there are probably many more that experienced this without posting. Extremely disappointed Lexus has not taken a proactive approach in handling the problem to prevent sudden engine failure which could cause serious injury to drivers and passengers. Even more dissappointed they have refused to reimburse to pay for the repair or part as our 2007 Lexus RX350 was just outside the 10 year warranty period in the year 2017.
Our 17 year old daughter was driving her 2007 Lexus RX 350 with 125,000 miles. Driving alone at 10pm dark at night, after meeting a friend for coffee, she pulled out of the Starbucks parking lot onto the main road and heard "very loud clicking sounds" (could no longer hear her music) and the engine or oil indicator light was on. Her car stopped within a mile and completely shut down on the major highway. She tried again and again to start the car but without luck. Cars honked furiously at her but she felt stuck and believed she was "trapped inside" as power to the car was shut off and she could not unlock the doors or open the windows. Door would not open. Timing could not have been worse, because her cell phone was also dead. She thought to plug her phone charger into usb port of her computer which eventually gave her phone a few seconds of life to call her parents to say her "car broke down" and she needs help, the phone cutting off just before telling us the location. We set out and hit the road in different directions to find her, contacting her friend to find out which smoothie shop they had gone to as that was where she had said they'd be going. Just as I was returning home from the unsuccessful search mission, I received notification of the location my daughter had last been seen (a Starbucks parking lot because all the smoothie shops were closed causing a change in their plans). Fortunately, my daughter was just then also pulling into our driveway. Hysterically through sobs, she recounted the experience to us. Her car broke down just about a mile away from home. While she was stuck in her inoperable car, a man riding his bike stopped to offer help. He knocked on the passenger windows telling her to allow him in to assist her. He then came to the other side and pounded on the driver side window. She couldn't open the windows or doors and was terrified so yelled at him while crying to "please leave, go". She felt terrible being afraid of someone who was offering help, but this was close in time to the Tampa random shooting events that had the city on edge. Eventually the car did start again barely made the 1 mile trip home (our mechanic later told us this was the worst thing she could do as the car engine could have completely been destroyed).
My immediate reaction was to blame our recent oil change (less than 500 miles and 3 weeks ago) for the problem, completely unaware of the online well-documented by other Lexus owners oil cooler line problem, so checked the oil level dipstick to find it was bone dry (checked 3-4 times to make sure this was correct).
Thought a technician might be to blame for possibly not closing a cap. I felt the plastic shroud undercarriage below to feel it saturated in oil throughout, yet no visible damage to the car (her dad thought she must have driven over and cracked something that caused the oil to be completely empty). Astonished to google online the problem and read stories of other 2007 Lexus RX350s experiencing the exact same story - loud clicking noises, engine failure, and shutdown caused by a faulty oil cooler hose line made with rubber components instead of the now redesigned part of all metal.
We took car into our reputable mechanics the next morning after the local Lexus dealer said it was not a covered part for us (either it was replaced in 2009, was that part of a different service campaign vvti or already replaced?). Without telling mechanic of our online search findings, he showed us the major leakage problem hole the rubber portion of the oil cooler line and explained it went through all the oil they used in refilling and diagnosing the problem. He told me it was probably the original oil cooler line assembly and had not been replaced because the the replacement part is completely metal, no rubber parts. He showed me both the old (rubber/metal) part and the new (all metal) oil cooler line part which I took pictures of both.
Initial call to Lexus customer service encouraged me to send receipt for oil cooler line replacement repair, VIN, copy of registration/proof of ownership as although the service campaign for our car had just ended, they have honored others outside the service window. I was told car owners affected were sent a letter in 2014, yet our vehicle's window ended in 2106. Customer care manager refused to provide reimbursement in our case. Not sure how they discriminate by reimbursing some and extend service to some outside their range and others they deny.
I have always been a happy and loyal Toyota driver all of my driving years since 1992. Maybe during the model years affected, Lexus cut back on costs by using poorly designed material parts but this Lexus RX350 has seriously failed to meet customer safety and customer care satisfaction and am unsure of buying one in the future.
The Lexus dealer service centers should be checking for this when cars are brought in and notifying the owners. The Lexus customer care said letters were mailed in 2014 but can not say whether a letter was sent to the previous car owner at that time. Couldn't we have been warned about the problem when we brought in the car for the Lexus RX350 dash crack replacement campaign we were also not notified about? Don't even get me started on the years long wait for that, are they banking people will eventually get rid of their cars while waiting so won't need to replace them? Or shouldn't the Toyota dealer we directly purchased the "fully inspected" used 2007 Lexus RX350 from have notified us of this or replaced the faulty rubber oil cooler line before we purchased?
This car is still fairly new to us (purchased 7 months ago), and thought we may have purchased a lemon when the alternator was bad within a month and 300 miles of purchase, but after reading online the three problems we've had (alternator, dashboard cracks, and oil cooler line rupture) all problems are commonly reported and documented online by many others for this model year. Hoping this is the last of its problems.
I hope by posting this incident, others who have not yet replaced the oil cooler line in their LexusRx350 will do so in advance so they do not have an experience like ours.

Last edited by Bruin97; 12-25-17 at 03:07 PM. Reason: words removed
Old 12-25-17, 04:31 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Sorry to hear the mishap caused you to search endlessly for your daughter.........

We use an app called Life360.

There is the free version and the paid version. Usually the free version will suffice, but the paid version will give you more bells and whistles. You can try the free version first and see. I believe there is a trial period before the paid version kicks in.

So in the case where your daughter was stranded. It will show you her last known location after her cell phone ran out of battery.

In order for the app to work. Both parties have to have the app installed and running. Your daughter must give you consent and vice versa. Both phones must have "GPS location features on the phone" turned on. You can then see each other's whereabouts and "live tracking" PLUS "historical tracking" with time stamped and location. It even gives you her maximum speed!! You can also set a location for her (her dorm room/apartment) where as soon as she arrives you will be notified. Also set a perimeter (x miles) when she goes outside of it, you are notified. If she turns her GPS/phone off/low battery......you will he notified. I know it gets creepy with all the features. But my wife and I have it on all of our phones and kids too. It's tough to be teenagers these days!!! 😀😀😁😁. One of my LEO friends a while ago told me about this app. He and all his LEO buddies are on his phone and vice versa so even when he is off he can offer help to his fellow LEO's and vice versa.

Originally Posted by Bruin97
Like many others, we had no idea this was a Lexus known problem and common occurrence with our model and year, until it happened to us. Amazed to see maybe hundreds of these stories on these Lexus forums and from internet searches. For every story posted, there are probably many more that experienced this without posting. Extremely disappointed Lexus has not taken a proactive approach in handling the problem to prevent sudden engine failure which could cause serious injury to drivers and passengers. Even more dissappointed they have refused to reimburse to pay for the repair or part as our 2007 Lexus RX350 was just outside the 10 year warranty period in the year 2017.
Our 17 year old daughter was driving her 2007 Lexus RX 350 with 125,000 miles. Driving alone at 10pm dark at night, after meeting a friend for coffee, she pulled out of the Starbucks parking lot onto the main road and heard "very loud clicking sounds" (could no longer hear her music) and the engine or oil indicator light was on. Her car stopped within a mile and completely shut down on the major highway. She tried again and again to start the car but without luck. Cars honked furiously at her but she felt stuck and believed she was "trapped inside" as power to the car was shut off and she could not unlock the doors or open the windows. Door would not open. Timing could not have been worse, because her cell phone was also dead. She thought to plug her phone charger into usb port of her computer which eventually gave her phone a few seconds of life to call her parents to say her "car broke down" and she needs help, the phone cutting off just before telling us the location. We set out and hit the road in different directions to find her, contacting her friend to find out which smoothie shop they had gone to as that was where she had said they'd be going. Just as I was returning home from the unsuccessful search mission, I received notification of the location my daughter had last been seen (a Starbucks parking lot because all the smoothie shops were closed causing a change in their plans). Fortunately, my daughter was just then also pulling into our driveway. Hysterically through sobs, she recounted the experience to us. Her car broke down just about a mile away from home. While she was stuck in her inoperable car, a man riding his bike stopped to offer help. He knocked on the passenger windows telling her to allow him in to assist her. He then came to the other side and pounded on the driver side window. She couldn't open the windows or doors and was terrified so yelled at him while crying to "please leave, go". She felt terrible being afraid of someone who was offering help, but this was close in time to the Tampa random shooting events that had the city on edge. Eventually the car did start again barely made the 1 mile trip home (our mechanic later told us this was the worst thing she could do as the car engine could have completely been destroyed).
My immediate reaction was to blame our recent oil change (less than 500 miles and 3 weeks ago) for the problem, completely unaware of the online well-documented by other Lexus owners oil cooler line problem, so checked the oil level dipstick to find it was bone dry (checked 3-4 times to make sure this was correct).
Thought a technician might be to blame for possibly not closing a cap. I felt the plastic shroud undercarriage below to feel it saturated in oil throughout, yet no visible damage to the car (her dad thought she must have driven over and cracked something that caused the oil to be completely empty). Astonished to google online the problem and read stories of other 2007 Lexus RX350s experiencing the exact same story - loud clicking noises, engine failure, and shutdown caused by a faulty oil cooler hose line made with rubber components instead of the now redesigned part of all metal.
We took car into our reputable mechanics the next morning after the local Lexus dealer said it was not a covered part for us (either it was replaced in 2009, was that part of a different service campaign vvti or already replaced?). Without telling mechanic of our online search findings, he showed us the major leakage problem hole the rubber portion of the oil cooler line and explained it went through all the oil they used in refilling and diagnosing the problem. He told me it was probably the original oil cooler line assembly and had not been replaced because the the replacement part is completely metal, no rubber parts. He showed me both the old (rubber/metal) part and the new (all metal) oil cooler line part which I took pictures of both.
Initial call to Lexus customer service encouraged me to send receipt for oil cooler line replacement repair, VIN, copy of registration/proof of ownership as although the service campaign for our car had just ended, they have honored others outside the service window. I was told car owners affected were sent a letter in 2014, yet our vehicle's window ended in 2106. Customer care manager refused to provide reimbursement in our case. Not sure how they discriminate by reimbursing some and extend service to some outside their range and others they deny.
I have always been a happy and loyal Toyota driver all of my driving years since 1992. Maybe during the model years affected, Lexus cut back on costs by using poorly designed material parts but this Lexus RX350 has seriously failed to meet customer safety and customer care satisfaction and am unsure of buying one in the future.
The Lexus dealer service centers should be checking for this when cars are brought in and notifying the owners. The Lexus customer care said letters were mailed in 2014 but can not say whether a letter was sent to the previous car owner at that time. Couldn't we have been warned about the problem when we brought in the car for the Lexus RX350 dash crack replacement campaign we were also not notified about? Don't even get me started on the years long wait for that, are they banking people will eventually get rid of their cars while waiting so won't need to replace them? Or shouldn't the Toyota dealer we directly purchased the "fully inspected" used 2007 Lexus RX350 from have notified us of this or replaced the faulty rubber oil cooler line before we purchased?
This car is still fairly new to us (purchased 7 months ago), and thought we may have purchased a lemon when the alternator was bad within a month and 300 miles of purchase, but after reading online the three problems we've had (alternator, dashboard cracks, and oil cooler line rupture) all problems are commonly reported and documented online by many others for this model year. Hoping this is the last of its problems.
I hope by posting this incident, others who have not yet replaced the oil cooler line in their LexusRx350 will do so in advance so they do not have an experience like ours.
The following 3 users liked this post by lexusrus:
Bruin97 (12-25-17), Paul3637 (05-28-18), Ssd108 (12-26-17)
Old 01-20-18, 01:02 PM
Daleda
Driver School Candidate

I am so glad I found this thread. I just ordered the replacement part from Rock Auto and will do my next oil change. My car is the 2007 RX350.i removed plastic cowl to inspect the rubber hoses and they look ok. I am not even going to bother with Lexus for the recall being extended to 2027. Thank you all for this tread. I am just stunned about this.
Old 01-24-18, 10:28 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Daleda
I am so glad I found this thread. I just ordered the replacement part from Rock Auto and will do my next oil change. My car is the 2007 RX350.i removed plastic cowl to inspect the rubber hoses and they look ok. I am not even going to bother with Lexus for the recall being extended to 2027. Thank you all for this tread. I am just stunned about this.
Just to be accurate, it is not a recall. It is an extended warranty. If it was a recall, Lexus would be sending you a letter telling you to bring the car in. A warranty is only done when you ask for it.

But the part of being extended to 2027 - where did you hear about that? If Lexus did that, I missed it.
Old 01-25-18, 07:06 AM
Daleda
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Just to be accurate, it is not a recall. It is an extended warranty. If it was a recall, Lexus would be sending you a letter telling you to bring the car in. A warranty is only done when you ask for it.

But the part of being extended to 2027 - where did you hear about that? If Lexus did that, I missed it.
It is way back in this thread somewhere. My Aluminum one came yesterday and I will install it at my next oil change in 2500 miles. When I think of how many times I’ve gone thru West Texas on my way to Northern New Mexico makes me shudder at the thought of the rubber part splitting and begin stranded.
Old 03-10-18, 11:12 AM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 08 ADW without towing package at 100K. I took a look today and found that it does have the pipes with rubber hose. I have ordered parts from ebay and will replace it next week.
Old 03-12-18, 11:47 AM
chalkboss
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In case you don't know- use an E8 socket to remove the studs on at least one side of the block fitting (inlet or outlet), otherwise you will have a next to impossible time fitting the rigid replacement lines over the studs in situ.

I found this job to be pretty easy once you do this, and I used a combination of 1/4 in. drive and 3/8 drive sockets with u-joints.
Old 03-20-18, 07:48 PM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't understand why Lexus uses the studs instead of just bolts for fixing the cooler lines. Seems to me that it is just easier to use bolts. For anyone who wants to do this DIY, be prepared that the bolts are stuck because of rust. ANd also there are odd angles and small spaces which will make you spend longer time in getting it off. At least you will need 12mm in long and medium length as well as u-joints to combat the small spaces. I had also to replace the two 12mm nuts because they are rusted under 10 years in MN.
Old 03-20-18, 08:12 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdyd
I don't understand why Lexus uses the studs instead of just bolts for fixing the cooler lines. Seems to me that it is just easier to use bolts. For anyone who wants to do this DIY, be prepared that the bolts are stuck because of rust. ANd also there are odd angles and small spaces which will make you spend longer time in getting it off. At least you will need 12mm in long and medium length as well as u-joints to combat the small spaces. I had also to replace the two 12mm nuts because they are rusted under 10 years in MN.
When I replaced the pipe on my car, I was having a hard time working it off the studs. After a while I got a saw and cut the rubber hoses and the pieces almost fell off. It sure made the removal easy but be forewarned that there is still some oil in the hoses. I wish I had thought of this at the very start.
Old 05-25-18, 05:16 PM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I was aware of the VVT hose issue, the one on our 2007 was done before we bought it. But the oil cooler hose was news to me.

My wife drove all over hell today, at least 150 miles. When she got home, she said her car smelled. Like what, I asked. She said it smelled "hot". But no warning lights ever came on and her two passengers didn't smell anything, so she kept going. I popped the hood and noticed oil all over the bottom end of the motor. Pulled the dipstick, nothing on it. I pulled the plastic covers off and noticed oil all over the rubber lines between the filter housing and cooler. I poured the two quarts of oil I had on the shelf into it, which still didn't register on the dipstick and my wife start it. The good news is the motor sounds fine. No ticking, knocking, etc. The bad news was a small stream of oil shooting out of one of the lines.

At over 10 years old, and 195K, I'm guessing I'm on my own for fixing this. I'll still call my Lexus dealer tomorrow and see if I can wrangle a free part out of them. Looks like an easy enough DIY.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures)