RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-16, 01:53 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Brought my car in yesterday as my oil change interval was up and told the service advisor that my hose was cracked, looked like it was about to fail and would like it replaced under the ZLC warranty extension. I also gave them my sob story that I already had a rubber hose fail on me (the misnamed VVT-i oil hose recall), dumping 6+ qts of oil onto the street and left my wife in a dangerous situation in the middle of the road. Didn't think they would buy this, but they let me keep a loaner overnight while they called Lexus corporate to get approval, and sure enough they were able to pull through and replace this for me! They told me that the 10 year period had expired, as my car was an 07 and it was built sometime in 06, but they got approval to replace the part anyways. All I ended up paying for was the oil change.

I was skeptical because when I brought my vehicle in previously they told me that they wouldn't replace the part unless if it "failed", aka oil spewing everywhere.

They did however, notify me that my power steering rack has a slow leak, and they charge $1800 to replace it. Guess i'll be living with that issue, LOL.

Last edited by evident; 08-18-16 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-22-16, 06:54 AM
lylou2h1a1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, my 2007 RX350 rack went at 90,000 and the dealer wanted $2,000 to install a re-manufactured rack and align the front.

Instead, I bought a NEW rack on e-bay from a place in NC (the same place that supplies Autozone) for under $300, and had my local Brakemasters install/align/etc. for under $500. Total cost was under $800.

So, you can save about $1,000 (and get a new part).

I did that in April, and the steering is like new.
Old 08-22-16, 04:21 PM
truenorth
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default the Hybrid 400h

Hi Theory. I understand that the 400h uses the 3.3 engine from the RX330, and that engine wouldn't have the oil cooler assembly. Someone correct me if I have this wrong.
Old 08-27-16, 09:57 PM
spw11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my '07 RX350 w/118k miles in Jan. of this year from a small, private car lot here in Dallas. A week ago Friday (8/19/16), with 125k miles now on the vehicle, the oil coolant line (part # 15767-31020) failed when on a short drive to the store. The oil warning light never lit fully, but rather flashed only very occasionally... Like a camera flash. When I checked, no oil registered on the dip stick. I stopped again and added 4 qts in order to limp home.

Let me interject at this point..... The service history in Lexus Drivers said the following;

"9LH REPLACE OIL COOLER HOSE FOR RX 350" .....This was back in Jan. of 2010. Can someone confirm this "9LH Replacement" is referring to the same oil coolant line I referred to above, and pictured below?

Moving on..... I had it towed to Sewell Lexus Dallas as that's where it appeared all the service had been carried out according to Lexus Drivers. I'm not a mechanic, but based on the list of replaced parts they provided (see below), they essentially re-built a good portion of the top end of the engine $5k to $6k worth of work, and didn't charge me a dime. They provided a loaner NX for a few days at no charge. They also said the coverage for the failure was to run out in the next 2 months so if it was going to happen, I'm lucky it happen now and not 3 months from now.

They were able to confirm it was the oil coolant line that failed. Based on the reading I'd done here, I tried to confirm whether or not the oil supply hose for the VVT-i actuator was also replaced, but neither I nor they were able to find a specific part number for that piece. (This was talking with the service adviser and not the mechanic himself.) I'm assuming the VVT-i actuator supply hose was replaced based the following notes on the work order.

Can someone tell me if that's a reasonable assumption?

"INSPECTION FOUND OIL COOLER HOSE FAILURE CAUSED CAMSHAFT ACTUATOR DAMAGE. REPLACED EXHAUST CAMSHAFTS, ACTUATORS, AND HOUSINGS PER TAS INSTRUCTIONS. REPLACED OIL COOLER HOSE WITH UPDATE"

I got the car back today and it seems to run like a champ. Needless to say I'm pretty pleased, not to mention impressed with Sewell Lexus here in Dallas. My only worry now is whether or not any long term damage was done to the lower end of the motor (rod / main bearings, piston rings etc.), but I guess time will tell.

Here's the list of the parts they replaced...

The coolant line that failed....

Last edited by spw11; 08-27-16 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Add image
Old 08-28-16, 06:54 AM
evident
Racer

spw11, 9LH is not the same failure as the one you experienced. If you look up the 9LH recall it's on the upper part of the engine somewhere.

The part that failed on you that you got replaced by sewell that's the topic of this thread was covered by "ZLC".

You're not the first one to get confused and won't be the last. Maybe the mods can edit the title of this thread to include the "ZLC" code. I'm glad they made it right and fixed your engine. My 07 ran with no oil when the 9LH oil line failed on me 6 years ago, the same way you had this part fail... Had it towed to the nearest lexus dealer and repaired, and 80K miles later it's still running strong.
The following users liked this post:
Paul3637 (05-28-18)
Old 08-28-16, 07:33 AM
spw11
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much for your response evident.

Where does one look these up? I poked around in LexusDrivers and couldn't find squat!

The 9LH replacement that was carried out on my car in Jan. of 2010.... Is that referring to the oil supply hose for the VVT-i actuator?

Given the parts list and description of the damages by the tech as well as the list of replaced parts I posted above, is it reasonable to assume the oil supply hose for the VVT-i actuator was replaced AGAIN in this most current round of service? Maybe with the cam assemblies?

Old 08-29-16, 07:03 AM
evident
Racer

Originally Posted by spw11
Thanks so much for your response evident.

Where does one look these up? I poked around in LexusDrivers and couldn't find squat!

The 9LH replacement that was carried out on my car in Jan. of 2010.... Is that referring to the oil supply hose for the VVT-i actuator?

Given the parts list and description of the damages by the tech as well as the list of replaced parts I posted above, is it reasonable to assume the oil supply hose for the VVT-i actuator was replaced AGAIN in this most current round of service? Maybe with the cam assemblies?
I believe the 9LH oil hose is related to something to do with the vvt-i system.

here's more info on the 9LH -
https://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/
http://media.fixed-ops.com/toy_campaigns/90k_dlrltr.pdf

Last edited by evident; 08-29-16 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-30-16, 09:38 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

lhYes, this oil line stuff is confusing. Having a 2007, I am concerned about having this time bomb.

I was scanning my car's service history that I downloaded from mylexus.com and found that maybe the VVT-I oil line has been replaced. The reason I say maybe is that in the service history back in 2011 I have this entry - 1LE & 1S2 (SSC) 9LH CAMPAIGN - REPLACE VTTI OIL HOSE. In my service history it is called VTTI while here on ClubLexus it is being called VVT-i. The term 9LH is the same, but could 9LH mean a certain kind of activity and not identifying just one specific problem?

As I was reading other sources regarding this, I came across a post on toyotanation.com, a Toyota user's forum like Club Lexus is. A person on there posted that Toyota has extended the campaign to December 2021.
See post # 5 - http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/15...placement.html

Post # 11 confirms this and the source of the confirmation is... wait for it... clublexus.com!
link - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...-recall-2.html
Read posts by Lexman83 post numbers 23 & 29. Sad, but somehow hilarious in a macabre sort of way.
Old 08-31-16, 05:43 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I recently came across this thread after purchasing my '07 RX350 with 126k miles about 4 weeks ago. I immediately searched the vehicle service records and nothing indicated an oil cooler line had been replaced at any point. That made me feel extremely uneasy and I purchased the metal oil cooler line right away and recently had it installed by a local shop. It wasn't OEM but was by a brand called Dorman which I hope will hold up just as well. I finally have some peace of mind and I'm fortunate the rubber lines didn't fail on me. Total cost was $245, $65 for the metal oil cooler line and $180 for 2.5 hours of labor. Now I have to look into getting the vvti line replaced as well.
Old 09-26-16, 10:13 AM
Aufinder
Driver School Candidate

This just happened on my 2009 RX350 with 60,000 plus miles. I am Canadian and it was a US vehicle which I bought after it was imported here. Got it into the dealer now and awaiting to hear back. My wife was driving it and heard a rattling, it was subtle at first. Then the rattle got worse and then all the lights went on and she texted me. I said pull over immediately and turn it off.

This is vehicle has been amazing but I am flabbergasted about this failure. This is such a serious issue!!!!!! If I wasn't home my wife woulda kept on driving and this woulda been toast..... Which it still may be I dunno. Guess I'll find out in a few hours.

To be clear this is the oil cooler hose near the bottom of the engine it isn't the VVTi hose I'm fairly certain as there was only oil on the right underside and not up over the engine. That said, I've read a good chuck of this thread but there is a lot of people confusing the VVTi oil hose as well (which is an extended recall until 2021). My question is there a recall for this part as well? If not how do we get Lexus Toyota to act on it!!! It's a brutally serious issue!
Old 09-26-16, 11:45 AM
spw11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aufinder
My question is there a recall for this part as well?
Aufinder... My take on this thread is the two, failing oil lines have been confused for one another several times. At least I got confused reading about them!

The failure I had recently was NOT VTTI OIL HOSE.

My failure, and from how you are describing it your failure too, was the part below and it was covered under warranty by Lexus on my '07 RX350 w/125k miles...... I can't answer your question specifically... "Was there a recall on this part?" But when all was said and done they did $5 - 6k in repairs to the top end of the engine, along with replacing just about all the gaskets on the block........... and it was all covered (paid for) by Lexus. I've had it out of the shop for a month or so now and everything seems just fine. Not loosing a drop of oil, running like a top. The service adviser told me the coverage on this part/repair was running out in 2 months... That was 6 wks or so ago.

Good luck with yours..........

PS...... Because it was due (125k check I think), I had'em go ahead and change out the plugs as well. I understand the back bank of plugs is a chore to get to (and cost some $$) so 'why not' while the engine was apart.

Old 09-27-16, 02:31 PM
Aufinder
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

Hey Everyone,

Here's an update. It was indeed the Oil Cooler Hose that blew and my engine is reported to be OK. As for the repair, there are two recalls in Canada (Lexus Canada). One for the oil cooler hose and the other for the VVTi hose. Because my vehicle was originally American, Lexus Canada told me nope. Call Lexus USA. I called Lexus USA and they said nope no recall on your vehicle. What gives??? I dug deeper and I found out that they extended the warranty for this issue. Around page 7 in this thread it is mentioned http://www.reimbursementlexus.com/cu...cation-letter/ . Lexus USA did not issue a recall on this issue but merely an extended warranty on it. What's the diff? I dunno and nor does my Canadian dealership. Lexus USA said to pay the bill at the dealership in Canada and send them the documents for review.

So, now my oil hose is fixed but because there was a recall on the VVT-i hose in Canada, I requested they change the VVTi hose as well and I will be submitting both invoices to Lexus USA.

I hope this information helps. Cheers.
Old 09-28-16, 10:58 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

The difference between a recall and an extended warranty is (in the United States anyway) that a recall, by law, is in effect for something like 15 or 20 years from date of issuance. The manufacturer is supposed to notify the owners of the cars where possible.

An extended warranty is usually a much shorter period of time and the time is set by the manufacturer. They do not have to contact the car owners.

A recall in the U.S. has no meaning in another country. Each country has to declare its own recalls. It is the same way with warranties. The warranty in one country does not necessarily apply in another country. Legally speaking, Lexus USA is a totally different company from Lexus Canada.
Old 12-24-16, 03:25 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts
Smile

Just replaced my oil cooler line today with the upgraded all metal part. Mine is an 07 RX350, 70k miles. Old line hadn't failed yet thankfully but after removal and inspection, it wasn't far off. Rubber had become very hard and bulged in places. I could definitely see in it's bends that the rubber parts were weakening and becoming brittle. Somewhat tedious, cramped job, but it can be done. There are some good DIY's and videos I read and watched first, but I still found success using slightly different techniques. PM me if anyone is taking it on and needs some guidance.
Old 12-24-16, 04:10 PM
WendyinCA
Driver School Candidate

Default Please help me post a "replacement parts" question here?

Hello, My mechanic lost the little bitty part shown in the circle. What IS that thing? If this isn't the right place to ask this question, please tell me where is - I don't know how to start a post. Thank you in advance to everyone. (SC430, 2005)

What IS this little tiny thing for, anyway?
He claims it was already missing. It's some sort of tiny cover with a slit in it (as shown). Can any of you please tell me what part number it is, where to post my request to find out what part number it is, how to create a new post, or where I can find a new one of these things? I don't even know what it does, but the car is in good shape overall except for this little piece.

Thank you in advance.
Wendy

Last edited by WendyinCA; 12-24-16 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Picture landed in the wrong place

Quick Reply: 2RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures)