RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures)

Old 10-23-15, 11:52 PM
jednav
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueeyes78
Thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences. My disaster happened this weekend. Sad to say, had a catastrophic engine failure in my 2009 RX 350 with 95k miles on it that I have had serviced faithfully at the dealership since I bought it as a CPO in 2011.
My husband and I were driving from the DFW Metroplex area to central Texas for a football game. Stopped at a fast food place to grab a bite to eat. As we were leaving I noticed a puddle of something under the car. Assuming it was from the last schmuck who parked in that spot, I didn't double check it when I pulled out of the lot. About 20 miles later, stopped and filled it with gas. In a few minutes, the check engine light came on, along with the VSC Off and the skid warning buttons. I pulled over right away and called Lexus Roadside Assistance since we were out in the boonies. Although we don't qualify for roadside assistance anymore, the guy on the other end of the line offered to answer questions since we couldn't find anything about the VSC Off and the skid button lights in our owner's manual. He didn't seem to know what they were either, so it took awhile for him to come up with an answer. He said to have it checked out soon, but if the check engine light wasn't blinking, it was OK to drive. Then I couldn't get the car started back up. Sounded like it was trying but just spinning around. So we called for a tow to the Toyota dealership in the city we were headed to (no Lexus dealership). Waited and waited for AAA to show. After about an hour, I tried to start it again and it started! No warning lights on at all! YAY! We might make the footbal game after all.
Well, after about 10 miles or so all the lights came on again, the engine was overheated (temp gauge on H as far as it would go) and soon lost acceleration and power steering. We managed to get off the highway on a small side road.
Had it towed to Toyota dealership - by then it's 5 pm on a Saturday so no one could look at it til Monday. They called back and said the engine was completely burned up, and the whole GD thing needed to be replaced along with new heads, water pump, etc, to the tune of $11k. No mention about the oil cooler line.
Waiting for the insurance adjustor to take a look just in case they thought it could be something they could cover.
Would love to hear everyone's advice in terms of where we go from here. I did receive a copy of the special extended warranty for the Oil Cooler Line and have it handy. Do I call our friendly neighborhood Lexus dealer and raise hell? How can I get them to replace the engine for me, or at least take the car off my hands and forgive the almost $7k I still owe on it?
Good advice on what might have caused it, whether it was in fact ithe cooler lines.
If indeed it was, however if the incident happened prior the receipt of the recall letter
you may have a stronger case against Lexus.

Should the incident happened after receipt of the letter, it will be assumed that
you have contacted your dealership to rectify the problem. Hence, in the absence of any effort
on your part to do the same, Lexus may state your inaction as negligence as the probable cause.

Remember Lexus has already recognized the problem and has directed owners to visit
their dealership for service.

This scenario is just a side bar on might confront you in the future. Go visit your dealer, their goodwill will be tested. Good luck!!
Old 11-08-15, 08:16 AM
truenorth
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nine months

Hello community.

I'm TrueNorth and I started this thread way back in 2012 when my wife's oil cooler line failed. Lexus Canada launched a recall for the oil cooler hose assembly in early 2015 and I immediately requested that Lexus pay my Toyota bill to replace the part.

It took a visit to the dealer and several phone calls to the dealer and Lexus Canada, but this week a check arrived from the dealer paying the Toyota dealer invoice in full.

So I have the money nine months after making the claim. Proves it is possible to get replacement costs refunded in Canada, but you have to work at it.

For sure a dispirited and lengthy process. I'm wondering if any Americans are getting invoices for failures previous to the recall.

Old 11-10-15, 01:23 PM
Lexdeb
Driver School Candidate

Default Oil Cooler Line Failure

Count me too, as an unfortunate victim of the dreaded oil cooler line failure.....
2008 RX 350 with 97000 mi (purchased the end of 2010 with 43000mi).
Was recently on my way to have the also dreaded " Rack & Pinion/ Steering"issue replaced at my local garage when approaching the turn into the lot a grinding sound was coming from the engine.
I pointed it out after checking in and later received a call that the oil cooler line was leaking and down 3.5 qts of oil......Called my local Lexus dealer and complained since I had brought the vehicle in after receiving the service letter back in Feb/March and noticed some spots on the floor of my garage and they determined it was from the R&P. Response from advisor was "it would't just leak a little, it would be all over" but the letter mentioned "seep" so I am not sure how to define leak vs. seep......Anyway, called Lexus Corp and explained the situation to customer satisfaction advisor
who was willing to cover the cost of a tow from the local mechanic, "in the interest of goodwill," to the dealership to replace the oil cooler line. When I returned home, there was a trail of oil down the street and into my driveway and a puddle in my garage----NOT HAPPY. Thankfully the engine appears, so far, to have no damage from the event. I can't believe this is not covered as a recall item as the number of experiences in the 90000mi range seems to be the magic window. Same with the R&P........!
Old 11-16-15, 02:10 AM
Yunsok
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My 2007 RX-350

I have read so many horror stories about VVTi Oil Line rupturing experience. It is so unfortunate. I had a recall notice around 2009 and had the line replaced as per recall instruction. My can has 105000 miles and runs very nicely. But you all whom reported oil line rupturing experience are making me very nervous about taking the car for over night trips. Did you not have your car serviced based on the recall and have the oil line replaced by Lexus dealer? Please advise me whether you did or not. The information whether you had your lines replaced following the recall would make your information much more useful. Thank you.
Old 11-16-15, 07:20 AM
Paul3637
Driver

Originally Posted by Yunsok
I have read so many horror stories about VVTi Oil Line rupturing experience. It is so unfortunate. I had a recall notice around 2009 and had the line replaced as per recall instruction. My can has 105000 miles and runs very nicely. But you all whom reported oil line rupturing experience are making me very nervous about taking the car for over night trips. Did you not have your car serviced based on the recall and have the oil line replaced by Lexus dealer? Please advise me whether you did or not. The information whether you had your lines replaced following the recall would make your information much more useful. Thank you.
These are two separate and distinct oil line problems .... but either one can produce the same catastrophic result when the engine runs out of oil..

The vvt-i oil line replacement was a hose that went to the upper portion of the engine and affected all 2GR-FE engines manufactured through April 2008. The hose we are talking about here is on the underside of the engine routed to the engine oil cooler and relates only to RX's, Siennas, Venzas, and Highlanders with the trailer tow package on the 2GR-FE 3.5L V6.. In other words for example, no ES350's have an oil cooler hose because a trailer tow package was never available on that car. In Canada, there has been a recall ..... but in the USA you only get an extended warranty.
Old 11-22-15, 03:35 PM
Blueeyes78
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Followup on engine failure

It's been over a month now since the engine on my 09 RX 250 burned up. It was a huge hassle having it towed 200 miles back to the local dealership, having them look at it, etc. The service manager contacted Lexus corporate (so he says) and made me an offer of about $4500 to fix the engine, but would not cover anything once they got in there and found something else wrong. How can they not know what's wrong now? I have gotten conflicting stories from the original Toyota dealership and the local Lexus dealership on what the cause was, but long story short it looks like it was a coolant leak. I just don't understand how it could all have happened so fast! The check engine light, VSC off and skid warning buttons came on and within 10 to 15 miles it was burned up.

I think I am just going to go to the general manager of the dealership and see how much of a tradein they'll give me and get a new car. Any advice would be appreciated! I'm tired of sharing my hubbie's crappy old Acura TL that makes me feel like I'm riding on a skateboard.
Old 11-23-15, 07:58 AM
truenorth
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default used engine?

Hi Blue Eyes.

I know the RX engine pretty well and I'm wondering how it could have a coolant leak. An assessment from a forensic mechanic, someone other than a Toyota or Lexus dealer would be interesting.

But the Toyota corporation is unlikely to help you out, it's just another old Lexus.

I like keeping these things running and what I would do is get an independent mechanic to find a good used engine and swap your broken engine out. It will be expensive, but probably the option that would be the most cost effective. A six year old RX with a seized motor won't be worth much to anyone, whoever buys it will have to do the same thing, and then try and make a profit of a couple grand on the deal.

Rebuilding your existing engine is probably not viable, it would have to go all the way down to the crankshaft bearings and everything up from there. A used replacement engine would be the most cost effective way forward.

Let us know what happens.

Old 11-26-15, 12:31 PM
Paul3637
Driver

Originally Posted by truenorth
Hi Blue Eyes.

I know the RX engine pretty well and I'm wondering how it could have a coolant leak. An assessment from a forensic mechanic, someone other than a Toyota or Lexus dealer would be interesting.

But the Toyota corporation is unlikely to help you out, it's just another old Lexus.

I like keeping these things running and what I would do is get an independent mechanic to find a good used engine and swap your broken engine out. It will be expensive, but probably the option that would be the most cost effective. A six year old RX with a seized motor won't be worth much to anyone, whoever buys it will have to do the same thing, and then try and make a profit of a couple grand on the deal.

Rebuilding your existing engine is probably not viable, it would have to go all the way down to the crankshaft bearings and everything up from there. A used replacement engine would be the most cost effective way forward.

Let us know what happens.

Exactly right

I have a case where the oil line burst and the owner was told "not covered under recall." so basically "tough s*&t"

She did have her oil changed every 5K but ....... unfortunately, at one of those "Big-O" $29.95 tire center specials.

She went ahead and paid $3,500 for a used engine put in at a Toyota dealer. Once Lexus did a "second run" at the VIN numbers .......... oops .......... they admitted she was "covered" .... so Lexus gave her the $3,500 back. PM me if you want a copy of her emails and receipts.

She would like to go to court and get the "lost resale value" back ....... but I told her in my opinion it would be a waste of time because there is no way to prove "actual damages" until the car was sold for less the black book value.
Old 11-27-15, 04:19 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by doroftei
for those interested i made a video on how i replaced the oil cooler line... hope this helps. it was really easy to do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEAk77WDLwI
great vid, thanks. Couple questions

where did you get that special tool?

and also, what size sockets for the actual hose bolts? seems like a flex head is also essential for doing this job. were the bolts pretty tight? i'd be doing this all by hand with no impact tools
Old 03-01-16, 09:12 AM
jprx350nc
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus and Toyota Engine Oil Cooling hose explodes

I purchased a used Lexus RX350 that was pristine...all service done and garage kept. This was January 2016. In February 2016 the engine oil cooling hose exploded and blew up my motor.
In August 2014 the previous owner had this hose leaking as described in Warranty Enhancement ZLC. Rather than the long drive to Lexus he took it to a local Toyota dealer for service. You see he never received the notice and still to this day has not. I know this because he gave me a March 2013 recall notice still in the envelope for the dash board cracking and Lexus still has not received the parts to replace that as of today. This Toyota dealer who is dealing with the same issues on some of their models didn't tell him either. Both Lexus and Toyota models are mentioned in the bulletin the dealer gets. The Toyota dealer doesn't alert him of anything and installs an aftermarket hose and charged him over $300.00 for the repair.
Now I have a blown motor from a clear case of negligence.
If you have had this issue, even if you were lucky enough to get yours fixed please contact the Federal Trade Commission at 877-382-4357. This is how a class action lawsuit can get started. It doesn't take long to file the complaint. Please take time to do this so those of us in bad situations can get help
Old 03-01-16, 10:01 AM
Blueeyes78
Driver School Candidate

Forgive me for not updating everyone sooner on the outcome of my 2009 RX350 engine failure last October. After paying the out of town Toyota dealership $600 to look at it and $400 to have it towed 3 hrs away to our local Lexus dealership, and 2 months of negotiating with the service department and the general manager, Lexus "helped us" by bringing the cost of replacing the engine down to $3600, then made us a very sweet deal on a 3 year one pay lease for trading it in on a 2015 RX350. They claim it was the water pump, but I did notice they replaced the oil coolant line with a metal one. If anyone wants to know, I can get the service invoice and transcribe the description of what was done.
The whole ordeal was so upsetting to me, and I test drove a bunch of other makes of cars but just didn't like anything better than the RX. But I will never let the miles on any car rack upwards of 100,000 ever again.
Old 03-01-16, 06:09 PM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

JP I'm not sure Lexus would be negligent at this point since they have a service program in place to fix the leaks and reimburse anyone that had the repairs done prior to the warranty enhancement program. Has the Lexus dealer refused to repair your vehicle under the program?
Old 03-01-16, 06:21 PM
jprx350nc
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus issue

the issue presented itself when someone else owned the car and a Toyota dealer installed an improper part, never told them about the notice, and to make matters worse...he never to this day has received the notice. He did give me a 3 year old recall notice for the dash replacement that still has not been called for the repair.
Old 03-23-16, 01:43 PM
rubicon4me
Driver School Candidate

Default Not all RX have the cooler line

Went to Toyota Dealer to get both the VVTi line and the cooler lines changed out to all metal. My 2008 did not have the oil cooler line and the filter housing was not the extended one with the bosses on it. The VVti line went in fine for 185 dollars labor

Last edited by rubicon4me; 03-23-16 at 02:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-26-16, 05:50 PM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Well I guess I got lucky. I found this thread and started to worry a lot. I just bought a 2007 RX350 and started doing some research on this problem. Thankfully it turns out this issue was handled. I foudn this in the service record at 47k miles back in 2010:

9LH REPLACE OIL COOLER HOSE FOR RX 350 - F

However on my recent inspection the guy said one of the boots on the suspension was damp but he couldn't see where it was coming from. I'm gonna have it checked out anyway to be safe. Ugh this is so annoying.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures)