RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-15, 11:12 AM
nwfsnake
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Help needed!

Well, I had the part and gaskets, so I am trying to get the steel version back on over the studs. No luck, anyone who has done this have any hints? I seem to be able to get one side on or the other, but not both...
Old 03-14-15, 11:45 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nwfsnake
Well, I had the part and gaskets, so I am trying to get the steel version back on over the studs. No luck, anyone who has done this have any hints? I seem to be able to get one side on or the other, but not both...
Judging from pictures posted on these threads, the steel version is designed to absorb vibrations, which of course is the only plus point of flexible hoses and the only possible explanation for the Lexus engineers to go for rubber back when the models concerned were designed (not a good choice, as it doesn't last anyway). There's a real possibility that a steel version can crack if it connects an engine to a semi-solid part on the body. Can you guys who have actually seen the steel version in the flesh confirm what the pics indicate, namely that it can absorb movement like vibration.
Old 03-14-15, 07:57 PM
nwfsnake
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Mission Accomplished!

I got the new metal oil line on after removing two of the studs from one of the mounting bosses as mentioned in an earlier thread. I just used two of the nuts from the studs tightened down against each other on the stud to spin them free, they were actually quite easy to remove this way. You will need two additional M8x1.25-20mm flange bolts in place of the studs you removed. I torqued all the fasteners to 22 ft-lbs and have no leaks. You will need a universal joint and a long extension to get to the outer fasteners as the oil lines are in the way. There is probably about 8 oz. or less of oil that leaked out during the procedure. Not enough to even have to add oil at the end. It did make quite a mess on the engine and exhaust, so count on a can of brake cleaner to hose everything off before you start it up to check for leaks. I also used a large oil pan with a big piece of cardboard under it to keep the garage floor clean. The little oil that does come out goes all over the place.

The rubber hoses on the old part were not leaking yet, but were certainly hard after 122K miles. Did not want a blow out, especially on the wife's vehicle!

You will need a 10mm socket and push pin pliers to remove the two engine under covers. I disconnected the O2 sensor wire from the bracket and removed the bracket from the frame with a 10mm wrench. A 12mm socket with universal joint and extensions are needed to remove and replace the oil line. I also had to use a 13mm socket because the new M8x1.25-20mm flange bolts I got from Advance Auto were 13mm instead of the 12mm stock flange bolt size.
Old 03-15-15, 05:55 AM
Yunsok
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry about very late response. I did not see this advise until today (Mar 15, 2015). I remember Lexus recall on this issue around 2008/9 time frame.
Old 05-22-15, 10:18 AM
LexusHoo
Driver School Candidate

Folks,

I just ran into this exact problem on my 2010 RX 350 with 70K miles. Driving to my daughters College graduation, first the check engine light came on, then the skid control light, then the Check AWD warning light.. Finally the oil pressure warning light. Pulled over and there was ZERO oil in the engine. I thought it was my fault until we drove a few blocks and put 5 quarts in. By the time we had driven 2 miles, all the oil was gone again. I started the engine and looked under the vehicle.. Oil was spraying everywhere.

I had it towed (Allstate motor assistance) to a local auto repair shop because there wasn't a Lexus dealership with 150 miles nor a Toyota dealership within 50 miles. They diagnosed it and told me it was the oil cooler lines.. They broke because they used rubber and fortunately it didn't seize my engine. 5 days and $450 later, the problem was fixed, they ordered the new metal lines to replace the cheap crap Lexus originally put in there

long story short, they told me to go after Lexus. I did.. my vehicle was out of warranty but my local Lexus Service manager referred me to this site http://www.reimbursementlexus.com.
I typed in my VIN and it didn't take. I called Lexus at the number listed, they opened a case, asked me to send in some proof items, and just called me to tell me that they were paying the bill IN FULL and sending me a check within 10 days.. I love a company that fulfills it's obligations.

This could have been a whole lot worse.. If this line blows, get your car towed
Old 05-22-15, 10:22 AM
LexusHoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by koric
http://www.reimbursementlexus.com/

I'm a bit skeptical about the validity of that site. Can someone confirm?

extremely valid.. just used it.. I had to call though as it wouldn't accept my VIN

Last edited by LexusHoo; 05-22-15 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-12-15, 12:09 AM
uipoliti
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same thing, in San Francisco

Moved here from Calgary four years ago, couldn't be happier.

Anyways, I was a mile out from the exit off the 280 FWY when I heard a ticking, everytime I slowed down. As the traffic slowed and I exited off, the acceleration seemed rough. Pulled over and stopped, saw the oil light flash. Pulled ahead about a block and parked. When I was stopped and idling, the oil light was now on. Turned it off right away and had it towed. While waiting for the tow I put in about 2 quarts and watched it drip into the gutter. Not good.

When my car was on the flatbed (its the AWD model), I noticed the oil sheen on the back window.

The shop put in some more oil and fired it up, to find the leak. I'm relieved that the tick/ping/knock I heard on the FWY wasn't there now.

Local Lexus dealership had the part on-hand.

I'm pikcking it up tomorrow, will listen hard at all RPMs for ticks and monitor my MPG. I'll submit my receipt to that recall site mentioned previously. Shop billed out about $600, including a couple other things I needed.

My Questions:
1. Is it common that there would be ticks/knocks only when slowing down, due to low oil, and then those sounds would be gone later, when the oil is replenished?
2. Does this mean there wasn't any engine damage?

Last edited by uipoliti; 06-12-15 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-12-15, 05:43 AM
LexusHoo
Driver School Candidate

My Questions:
1. Is it common that there would be ticks/knocks only when slowing down, due to low oil, and then those sounds would be gone later, when the oil is replenished?
2. Does this mean there wasn't any engine damage?
Mine made that clicking sound that yours made as well. I had the same worries that I drove it too far and damaged the engine (even though I drove Less than a mile). When I had it towed into the shop, I asked them the same question and they told me no way to know until they replaced the part and did the diagnostics.

Fortunately the clicks went away, I have had it back for almost a month, and running smooth as silk...

And to add.. Lexus sent me the check just 7 days after I submitted the paperwork and they approved it... That was sweet

Good luck on yours

Last edited by LexusHoo; 06-12-15 at 06:02 AM.
Old 06-16-15, 04:37 PM
uipoliti
Driver School Candidate

Default Update:

LexusHoo, glad to hear your engine worked out.

I picked up my vehicle and drove to Sonoma, then had the engine light come on (solid, not blinking). Pulled code P0022 "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 2). Noted lower power when going faster than 30mph, feels like the car is towing a whale. Smooth idle, engine sounds great otherwise.

After replacing the battery (separate issue) I drove it to a different shop closer to my house that specializes in Toyotas. Technician says they need to:
  • $210 Replace the OCV (there's a TSB for this, probably T-SB-0105-11
  • $1500 Adjust the timing of the camshaft

Of course, replacing the OCV based on the TSB is what we're doing first. Will update once that's done.
Old 06-19-15, 08:55 AM
LexusHoo
Driver School Candidate

Uipoliti...as an FYI...my engine light came on immediately after I picked mine up as well. They quickly reset it stating that the oil spraying on some of the elements caused it to come on. Took them 10 minutes and no charge.
Old 06-20-15, 07:21 AM
zhornet27
Driver School Candidate

Have a 2009 RX that had the rubber oil cooler line with 93k miles. Tried several times to get Lexus of Orland to replace the line, even offering to pay half. They wouldnt budge saying I would notice oil dripping long before they would rupture. Yeah right. So ordered the parts from myLparts for $90 and had my mechanic do it for $220 in labor. Since this is the wifes car, now I dont have to worry about it.

I submitted the forms to the reimbursement site, so we'll see if the honor the claim. If not, should it go to a recall, I have my invoices to submit then.
Old 07-02-15, 01:06 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Just got my recall letter and booked for July 4 with my dealer. Probably cheaper and better from a customer relationship perspective to do a recall than let this pester.
Old 07-21-15, 03:07 PM
Q2012
Driver School Candidate

My 2007 RX350 has over 149k miles and will be going in for 150k service soon. I've been wondering about engine oil cooler pipe. Should I wait until January 31, 2016 when warranty enhancement ends for me or just replace it now for peace of mnd. The Lexus of Portland, OR is quoting $500 for parts and labor.

Thanks in advance for any comments and advise.
Old 07-22-15, 08:19 AM
jednav
Driver

Originally Posted by Q2012
My 2007 RX350 has over 149k miles and will be going in for 150k service soon. I've been wondering about engine oil cooler pipe. Should I wait until January 31, 2016 when warranty enhancement ends for me or just replace it now for peace of mnd. The Lexus of Portland, OR is quoting $500 for parts and labor.

Thanks in advance for any comments and advise.

why wait it is ticking time bomb. $500? Like others got mine free. Remember this is
a recall.
Old 07-23-15, 04:37 AM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

As of last Friday, my service advisor said there is no recall in the system for my '07. Just the warranty enhancement and they won't replace the pipe under that unless it's leaking. He also said he hasn't had one come in leaking yet. Guess I'll try calling Lexus corporate before the next service to see if they will chip in.

Quick Reply: 2RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures)