2007 RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures) - Page 16 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2007 RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures)

Old 06-18-17, 04:40 PM   #226
frank12933
Driver School Candidate

Better replace it before it's too late.
frank12933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-17, 07:38 AM   #227
dmanwi
Rookie

My mother-in-law's 2008 just experienced this. She had around 100K miles on the car and she came over the other day and it was running rough. I checked under the car and saw the oil dripping. It must have just happened that day. The oil light was on. We had it towed to an independent shop and I also called Lexus. They ran the VIN and said the oil cooler lines were out of coverage by 2 months. I am just going to have the independent shop do the work. They will replace with the metal hoses. and then write to Lexus corporate to see if they will reinburse. Does anyone have any experience with getting a reimbursement out of warranty?
dmanwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-17, 12:14 PM   #228
BlackLexRX
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanwi View Post
My mother-in-law's 2008 just experienced this. She had around 100K miles on the car and she came over the other day and it was running rough. I checked under the car and saw the oil dripping. It must have just happened that day. The oil light was on. We had it towed to an independent shop and I also called Lexus. They ran the VIN and said the oil cooler lines were out of coverage by 2 months. I am just going to have the independent shop do the work. They will replace with the metal hoses. and then write to Lexus corporate to see if they will reinburse. Does anyone have any experience with getting a reimbursement out of warranty?
Call Corporate right away. There is supposed to be a 10year extension from first use, so you may be covered under that. If you work with a dealer, also use them, sometimes they will hook you up (if you've had lots of service there, etc). How much oil was on the dipstick? You might be ok. If so, order the part around 60$ and change yourself; its not bad and there's a video on it in the DIY sticky. Sorry to hear this happened to her and another member. Just crazy of them to recall the vvti line but not this one.
BlackLexRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-17, 06:11 AM   #229
roadbike56
Driver

Well, I took the advice of the forum and replaced the lines. Had my private shop do it. Cost was about $365. Saved about $140 compared to Lexus dealer price.
Car is an 09, Pebble Beach Edition. It has 94,000 miles. The lines were still intact, I just didn't want to risk catastrophic failure. The old rubber lines were not cracked but were rock hard. We really like this car and intend to keep it for a while so the repair is justified as a preventative maintenance cost.
roadbike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-17, 08:51 AM   #230
truenorth
Driver School Candidate

Default TrueNorth reports back

Hi community. I'm TrueNorth and I started this thread way back at page one. RoadBike, it was a good idea to just go ahead and replace the hose assembly. Mine failed and when I look at it today, I can't see the tiny hole that blew out all the oil. The assembly looks ok, so even a visual inspection couldn't reveal a part about to fail, or even one that has failed.

I was pretty disappointed with the response from my local Lexus dealer "Heffner Lexus" and I intended to get rid of my RX350. But things got in the way, it was running ok after its adventure and I just didn't get to it. Today it has 270,000 kilometers (almost 170k miles) on it and it's running fine. So these engines can survive no oil for a couple minutes.
truenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-17, 11:01 AM   #231
kitabel
Lexus Test Driver

Unless you remove the cams, connecting rods, and main bearing caps, and inspect the journal conditions you don't know how much damage occurred.
The cylinder wall can run dry without damage for much longer.
kitabel is offline   Reply With Quote