RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-16, 04:42 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I'll help you out, but you should use the SC forum for posting next time. This is an oil cooler thread on the RX 2nd gen forum. Anyhow, that is an access panel in which you will stick into your key to unlock your transmission if it were to become stuck in gear or unable to shift from park for example. Check your manual it will tell you how to perform this operation if needed. You can find the little panel to replace with online, but for something that cheap, just call your Lexus dealer parts and ask to order one.
Old 02-26-17, 01:22 PM
99magna
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pe3046
Just picked up my 08 with 64k on it, it was indeed the hose that ruptured and was covered no charge along with oil change. I have to check back with the service manager on the towing which was $190 to see if that will also be covered.
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but did they ever covered your towing expenses to the Lexus dealer for replacement of those hose lines ? Thanks
Old 05-11-17, 05:03 PM
Aufinder
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aufinder
Hey Everyone,

Here's an update. It was indeed the Oil Cooler Hose that blew and my engine is reported to be OK. As for the repair, there are two recalls in Canada (Lexus Canada). One for the oil cooler hose and the other for the VVTi hose. Because my vehicle was originally American, Lexus Canada told me nope. Call Lexus USA. I called Lexus USA and they said nope no recall on your vehicle. What gives??? I dug deeper and I found out that they extended the warranty for this issue. Around page 7 in this thread it is mentioned http://www.reimbursementlexus.com/cu...cation-letter/ . Lexus USA did not issue a recall on this issue but merely an extended warranty on it. What's the diff? I dunno and nor does my Canadian dealership. Lexus USA said to pay the bill at the dealership in Canada and send them the documents for review.

So, now my oil hose is fixed but because there was a recall on the VVT-i hose in Canada, I requested they change the VVTi hose as well and I will be submitting both invoices to Lexus USA.

I hope this information helps. Cheers.

HEY ALL, Here's another update. Lexus USA came through and reimbursed me in full for the replacement of the oil-cooler hose. Cheers Lexus! Looking forward to another RX350 if this one ever dies on me....going strong still with over 100k miles.
The following users liked this post:
Paul3637 (05-15-17)
Old 05-11-17, 06:35 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

I changed my oil cooler line myself this Tuesday because I started a road trip today. Unfortunately I wasn't aware of the extended warranty expiring, so I don't get any reimbursement. But since I did it my self, I'm only out the $50 for the pipe.
Paul3637 (05-15-17)
Old 05-23-17, 07:05 AM
RRaedeke
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Possible second failure...

We bought our 2007 RX 350 in 2011. It now has about 100K miles on it. Over the weekend, it appears we had a blow out on the oil cooler line or perhaps the VVT-I. Similar experience to every one of the previous posts.
Major oil loss in a short time frame, rattling engine, etc. We towed it to our local shop who on Monday said they wouldn't touch it because it could be covered under a warranty extension, so off to the the dealership it went.
They said they would take a look and would cover the cost for replacement if it meets the criteria. I am still waiting for that call this morning. Biggest concern is the engine. How much damage did it sustain?

Last night I went back through the service records of the vehicle. What I find really concerning is that in 2010 (54K miles) the dealership performed the following work.
9LH REPLACE OIL COOLER HOSE FOR RX 350
DESCRIPTION: 9LH REPLACE OIL COOLER HOSE FOR RX 350 ~ ~C/S: PLEASE PERFORM 9LH OIL HOSE CAMPAIGN. ~ ~ ~ ~REPLACED VVT-I OIL HOSE

It appears that the car had both the VVT-I and the oil cooler hose replaced. I'd assume that they replaced it with the metal and hard line tubes... Could they have replaced with the old style... could the new hard lines now be failing???
I will update you all when I get more information today.

I certainly appreciate all the posts on this subject. I had no idea this issue existed and can see why we wouldn't have received any notice about it (the work had been done...)
Let's hope we don't have a new problem with the replacement parts...
Paul3637 (11-19-18)
Old 05-23-17, 08:58 AM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RRaedeke
We bought our 2007 RX 350 in 2011. It now has about 100K miles on it. Over the weekend, it appears we had a blow out on the oil cooler line or perhaps the VVT-I. Similar experience to every one of the previous posts.
Major oil loss in a short time frame, rattling engine, etc. We towed it to our local shop who on Monday said they wouldn't touch it because it could be covered under a warranty extension, so off to the the dealership it went.
They said they would take a look and would cover the cost for replacement if it meets the criteria. I am still waiting for that call this morning. Biggest concern is the engine. How much damage did it sustain?

Last night I went back through the service records of the vehicle. What I find really concerning is that in 2010 (54K miles) the dealership performed the following work.
9LH REPLACE OIL COOLER HOSE FOR RX 350
DESCRIPTION: 9LH REPLACE OIL COOLER HOSE FOR RX 350 ~ ~C/S: PLEASE PERFORM 9LH OIL HOSE CAMPAIGN. ~ ~ ~ ~REPLACED VVT-I OIL HOSE

It appears that the car had both the VVT-I and the oil cooler hose replaced. I'd assume that they replaced it with the metal and hard line tubes... Could they have replaced with the old style... could the new hard lines now be failing???
I will update you all when I get more information today.

I certainly appreciate all the posts on this subject. I had no idea this issue existed and can see why we wouldn't have received any notice about it (the work had been done...)
Let's hope we don't have a new problem with the replacement parts...
Dealer called the VVTi line an Oil Cooler hose. Really poor choice of words. Actual Oil Cooler Hose is down below your radiator and likely the one you just had fail.
9LH is VVTi
9LC is Oil Cooler.
Read through the forums, there's tons about it. I'm at work now, so in a rush.
Old 05-23-17, 10:10 AM
RRaedeke
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the clarification. The use of the term Oil Cooler Hose threw me and hence the reason I thought perhaps both had been done in 2010.
I find it interesting that once they plugged our Vin # into their system during one of our recent visits, it wouldn't have flagged this issues as still unresolved. What a great proactive approach that could be for them...
Old 05-23-17, 12:27 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Thanks for the clarification. The use of the term Oil Cooler Hose threw me and hence the reason I thought perhaps both had been done in 2010.
I find it interesting that once they plugged our Vin # into their system during one of our recent visits, it wouldn't have flagged this issues as still unresolved. What a great proactive approach that could be for them...
Exactly, poor terminology. They won't do anything about it unless it's leaking, which it really just blows all at once. Take it to the dealer and they should take care of it for you. Call or email corporate and let them know too. Sorry to hear about it, but search around the net, it's happened to lots of people and most had eventual good outcomes.
Paul3637 (06-04-17)
Old 06-05-17, 06:40 AM
RRaedeke
Driver School Candidate

Default Fully paid for repair...

Just a quick follow up to my post about the Oil Cooler line that let go a couple weeks ago.
The concern was that we'd blown the engine, but wouldn't know until they replaced the hose and put oil back in her... So we went ahead and did the work.
The engine sounds and checks out fine. So that was a relief!

The initial decision by the dealership was that we were outside the 10 year time frame for this repair, so we would need to pay for the work.
I had a long discussion with the service manager about the difference between a partnership and just being a vendor. I even shared with him that if they had told us about this hose last year when the car was in for service twice, I likely would have had it replaced as a preventative measure.... But I paid the bill and my daughter was happy to have her car back!

When the manager of the dealership called to ask about our experience, my wife gave him the same speech. Evidently she's more persuasive. He made a few calls and let us know that they would be refunding our payment. A major step in the right direction towards that partnership I was looking for!

So I am happy to report we have a happy ending to our Oil Cooler Hose failure. Well done Kuni Lexus for taking care of this!
Paul3637 (11-19-18)
Old 06-05-17, 09:57 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a question on this, if one experiences an immediate failure using synthetic oil, how much (more) time, if any, would they have to safely get the vehicle to a stop before engine damage occurs?
Old 06-05-17, 09:41 PM
DennisMik
Racer

I doubt that using synthetic oil makes any difference if the oil cooler line blows out.

The main thing one needs to do is turn off the engine and put the transmission in neutral and coast to a stop. Just be aware that with the engine shut off, you won't have any power steering.
Old 06-05-17, 09:49 PM
DennisMik
Racer

So I am happy to report we have a happy ending to our Oil Cooler Hose failure. Well done Kuni Lexus for taking care of this!
Last year I was doing a road trip vacation and was leaving the Denver area to go to the Grand Canyon and the car developed problems. Turned around and limped into Kuni and they got me fixed up and back on the road the same day. I was really happy with their quick service.
Old 06-06-17, 08:24 AM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RX469
I have a question on this, if one experiences an immediate failure using synthetic oil, how much (more) time, if any, would they have to safely get the vehicle to a stop before engine damage occurs?
None. Oil pressure is like 50-60psi in the line, regardless of oil type.
Old 06-06-17, 08:26 AM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Last year I was doing a road trip vacation and was leaving the Denver area to go to the Grand Canyon and the car developed problems. Turned around and limped into Kuni and they got me fixed up and back on the road the same day. I was really happy with their quick service.
+1 for Kuni, that's the dealer I use.
Old 06-15-17, 07:31 PM
AZN Lex
Pole Position

Just a quick follow up to my post about the Oil Cooler line that let go a couple weeks ago.
The concern was that we'd blown the engine, but wouldn't know until they replaced the hose and put oil back in her... So we went ahead and did the work.
The engine sounds and checks out fine. So that was a relief!

The initial decision by the dealership was that we were outside the 10 year time frame for this repair, so we would need to pay for the work.
I had a long discussion with the service manager about the difference between a partnership and just being a vendor. I even shared with him that if they had told us about this hose last year when the car was in for service twice, I likely would have had it replaced as a preventative measure.... But I paid the bill and my daughter was happy to have her car back!

When the manager of the dealership called to ask about our experience, my wife gave him the same speech. Evidently she's more persuasive. He made a few calls and let us know that they would be refunding our payment. A major step in the right direction towards that partnership I was looking for!

This just happened to my wife's car a few weeks ago. I asked the service advisor being covered by the warranty/TSB and she said it had passed. Perhaps I should call back and ask to talk to the manager instead.

Quick Reply: 2RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures)