RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 330: Rack in Pinion issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-14, 01:34 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Henry2024
Despite the RXs reported reliability, it seems as though the achille's heel of the RX is the rack and pinion, among other things. Its the most common problem reported about RXs that I've seen. Which is strange to me since I've never had a vehicle that a rack and pinion problem. I would hope my RX doesn't disappoint me by being the first.
Well, my RX has displayed a taste for ignition coils, I always measured any vehicle's reliability against my Isuzu pickup truck, but If I must be really honest, it had an appetite for water pumps. The only reason one tends to overlook it, is because you can buy those water pumps by the dozen and don't feel it and you can put one in before breakfast.
The RX is a bit more complicated to replace the same part and that scares a lot of people. It maybe that Lexus suck things out of their thumbs, but mostly they think a customer will think they're cool if they alert him/her to something going West, they don't know the proverb about the messenger getting beheaded. Easiest way to send somebody into denial is to tell them their car needs shocks or something.
So, don't worry too much about the steering rack etc. If you buy the beer, we'll lend you a hand to change it.
Old 05-17-14, 06:03 AM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

IF the dealer did the repair in 2012
Do they give a warranty on that repair?
I might have to call them on monday.

UPDATE: dealer only give 24 month warranty. Unlimited miles

3 places power steering fluid can be leaking from
1. Left Boot
2. Right boot
3. Nut where it connects to the steering column

Last edited by TriniLex; 05-17-14 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-17-14, 10:16 AM
TriniLex
Instructor

Found a shop affiliated with NAPA (a Napa Car care center)

NAPA: $498.00 Cardone Lifetime warranty
Oreily- $523.00 Cardone lifetime
Advance auto parts $523.99
Autozone: $523.99 Duralast Lifetime
Bennet Auto parts: $523.99 BBMB lifetime
Car Quest $579.00 Cardone 36 months

Dealer $974.34 (canadian version
$906.00 (Japan version)

They said if your VIN starts with a letter J (japan)
starts with a number 2 (US/Canada)

I am not leaking any power steering fluid so I am thinking I can jut replace the bellow boot?

Local shop charging $338 for labor
Old 05-17-14, 10:37 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Reman power steering racks are quite common:

http://www.steeringrackandpinion.com...ck-and-pinion/
Old 05-17-14, 10:40 AM
TriniLex
Instructor

Have you ordered from them before?
I just tried calling their number. Its a google voice number which is strange for a business to have.
Would like to know the make of the reman

Address shows a little shop in hollywood Florida
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.9892...2w!2e0!6m1!1e1
Old 05-17-14, 11:18 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TriniLex
Have you ordered from them before?
I just tried calling their number. Its a google voice number which is strange for a business to have.
Would like to know the make of the reman

Address shows a little shop in hollywood Florida
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.9892...2w!2e0!6m1!1e1
It had been mentioned previous here on CL. I was just parroting the information. Also, wanted to show that there are plenty of options out there and in fact you really do not know much about the reman as you might think. NAPA and the others are getting them from somewhere and just marking up the price.

What is wrong with being located in Hollywood, FL? Near all the shipping and transportation centers in and around Miami. Florida is also business friendly, especially when compared to CA.

Not abnormal in this day-and-age to use Google for voice communications.

Wait until Monday when they are open and give them a call. If you do not like what you hear then you go some place else for what you need. If you are using a NAPA shop and NAPA parts then you may be better served if there is a problem down the road.
Old 05-17-14, 11:23 AM
TriniLex
Instructor

What is wrong with being located in Hollywood, FL? Near all the shipping and transportation centers in and around Miami. Florida is also business friendly, especially when compared to CA.

Nothing wrong to be located in hollywood, Fl
but as you can see in the pic the establishment does not seem to be in best of shape.
If someone is using Google voice to save money do you think they will be honoring their "lifetime guarantee"

Advance audo parts works out to be $473 with coupon for Cardone reman. Think I might go with that one.
DIY to follow
Old 05-17-14, 12:26 PM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but as you can see in the pic the establishment does not seem to be in best of shape.
If someone is using Google voice to save money do you think they will be honoring their "lifetime guarantee"

Advance audo parts works out to be $473 with coupon for Cardone reman. Think I might go with that one.
DIY to follow
Guess the guy is on your side, if he has gone to all this trouble to help. Don't take the google thing too seriously, try to phone the Mercedes factory in Stuttgart on a Christmas day and they're damn real.

Last edited by nipponbird; 05-17-14 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-17-14, 12:56 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

DIY to follow
That location is typical of many block construction industrial sites in the Miami area. Would not read too much into it. However, you do make a point which I think would hold for A-1 Cardone as well. Best to research before buying an item such as this. Talk to those behind the desk selling the product. Look online for reviews. The point of my prior post is that many folks sell these in a huge price range. When they work they are all the same. When they do not who will stand behind their product? As you pointed out, what good is a lifetime warranty if it is only as good as the paper it is printed on.

Would I go either of these routes? No, but I have other choices not necessarily available to most. If I had to purchase an A-1 Cardone power steering rack I would go to RockAuto for a look.
Old 05-18-14, 08:15 AM
TriniLex
Instructor

Thanks RX330inFL looks like Rockauto is the best deal.
Old 05-18-14, 08:52 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Thanks RX330inFL looks like Rockauto is the best deal.
Perhaps. Sometimes buying the part yourself is a bad choice and sometimes it works in your favor. You do have to send the core back. For some that may be a hassle. Later, if there is a problem you have to figure out who to deal with, etc. I am just providing alternatives and information as I know it, FWIW.