RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2009 RX350 Rear Struts

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-12, 11:11 AM
ahornick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 RX350 Rear Struts

Hello all, I am new to this forum, this is my first time post. I have a 2009 RX350 with 51,000 miles (just 1000 over warranty). The left rear strut developed a bad leak and has begun making the noises associated with the failed strut. I will be changing out both rears and have two questions that I cannot find info for on the web. 1) I noticed the 2 latches on the side covers inside the back area to remove the panel and expose the rear strut tower, are these the only two latches I need to remove to access the upper bolts, or are there hidden screws or things I need to do to remove the panel? 2) Does anyone know the torque specs for the rear strut bolts? I appologize if this question has come up on previous posts.
Old 08-20-12, 02:52 PM
cartman57
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome, if you comfortable using a strut spring compressor it's fairly easy to do.
Copied from another post:
Rear strut:
strut to upper mounting nuts 29 ft lbs
Strut to suspension support (dampner shaft) nut 36 ft lbs
Strut to axle cardrier nuts/bolts 188 ft lbs.
Old 08-20-12, 03:07 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

If it's literally only 1,000 miles over, I'd go to the dealer and see if they are willing to work with you on the price. Maybe a good will gesture.

51K miles is way too early for a strut to start leaking. How are the roads in AZ?
Old 08-21-12, 07:05 AM
ahornick
Driver School Candidate

The roads in Arizona are not rough at all. I was surprised that the strut failed so early as well. I noticed it leaking while under warranty, but know that a small amount would not warrant a repair on the dealership's part. I guess I should have monitored the leak more closely, because it apparently got worse and I didn't notice it until the thumping noise and it was just out of warranty. I have ordered all the repalcement parts and will swap out both rear struts as soon as I get some time. From reading other posts, I will need to have a 4-wheel alignment done afterwards, so I plan on this as well. I really do appreciate the torque specifications, that helps. I feel the worse part for me will be trying to remove the inner panel to get to the top tower. I never do well with plastic parts and clips. Once again - thanks.
Old 08-21-12, 10:57 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ahornick
The roads in Arizona are not rough at all. I was surprised that the strut failed so early as well. I noticed it leaking while under warranty, but know that a small amount would not warrant a repair on the dealership's part. I guess I should have monitored the leak more closely, because it apparently got worse and I didn't notice it until the thumping noise and it was just out of warranty. I have ordered all the repalcement parts and will swap out both rear struts as soon as I get some time. From reading other posts, I will need to have a 4-wheel alignment done afterwards, so I plan on this as well. I really do appreciate the torque specifications, that helps. I feel the worse part for me will be trying to remove the inner panel to get to the top tower. I never do well with plastic parts and clips. Once again - thanks.
Actually, any leaking you would have reported under warranty would have gotten these replaced for you by the dealer.
Old 08-21-12, 12:48 PM
cartman57
Driver

I feel the worse part for me will be trying to remove the inner panel to get to the top tower. I never do well with plastic parts and clips. Once again - thanks.
The clips are sturdy, might seem as if they'll break but don't. If you have a small plastic spatula that helps. Alignment will help tires wear better, depends how long it's been like that with the bad strut, they could be cupped.

Too bad the dealer didn't offer or suggest they be replaced when it was brought to their attention while still under warranty. If you have the receipts stating to check the struts, they might have to honor it depending what was written on the repair ticket.
Old 08-21-12, 03:16 PM
ahornick
Driver School Candidate

I contacted the dealer today and they were very nice. They offered to wave the labor cost and I would be on the hook for just the parts; $347.00. This is only for one side. I purchased all the parts (KYB brand) for both sides at $290. These should be replaced in pairs. So I will do the work myself and have $57 left over to go towards the cost of the alignment, which they didn't include either. I want to thank everyone for their help concerning this matter. It is appreciated.

Last edited by ahornick; 08-21-12 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Gammer errors
Old 08-21-12, 03:29 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

I contacted the dealer today and they were very nice. They offered to wave the labor cost and I would be on the hook for just the parts; $347.00. This is only for one side. I purchased all the parts (KYB brand) for both sides at $290. These should be replaced in pairs. So I will do the work myself and have $57 left over to go towards the cost of the alignment, which they didn't include either. I want to thank everyone for their help concerning this matter. It is appreciated.
Wow.. $347 for one strut. Do not think they were doing you any favors even with the free labor.

Sounds like you have a good handle on the situation. Glad to see you are replacing in pairs. Was always what I was taught. As for the alignment, if you are going to hold on to your RX for an extended period of time I would consider a lifetime alignment. Definitely more expensive, however, it can come in handy.

Come back and let us know how it goes with the repair.
Old 08-21-12, 03:31 PM
cartman57
Driver

At least they were nice about it and you knowing the struts should be replaced in pairs.
Ouch, $350 for one strut, I understand they need to make a profit too, but $350?
Wonder what the labor would've been plus an alignment?
Easy job to do.
Old 08-21-12, 06:44 PM
RockfordRX
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Ahornick,
here is a copy of my writeup about my experience in rear strut replacement dated 08/05/12:

Got new struts for the rear
So I finally got to my project this weekend.
I've ordered a set of KYB struts for the rear and a set of KYB strut boots ($25 for both) from Tire Rack, since the original ones were torn and looked like a bunch of onion rings resting on the bottom of the spring holder.
I've spent total of $251 for the parts and shipping (Lexus parts dept wanted $249 for just one strut!).
All went well, except the original strut mount came with the rubber boot attached to it making it one sealed and smooth piece (Monroe style), however the KYB boot looked nothing like the Monroe one: it was made out of plastic and did not fit the original strut mount at all! Hmmmm....
So my dilemma was to get a KYB srtut mount to accomodate for the new boot, or to buy a Monroe strut mount that came with the boot. It was Saturday night and Tire rack reps were gone til Monday, the RX was sitting in the garage jacked up in the air and with no wheels/struts!, so I went to Advanced Autoparts (had KYB mounts available but as a special order item for $52 and wouldn't arrive til Tuesday), then, I went to Autozone and they didn't have any available to order. Oriley's autoparts hooked me up - they had Monroe mounts in stock - $34.99 each. So it turned out to be cheaper and a better quality and original look than KYB ones.
I got home late and started installing the struts and mounts the next morning. I've rented a spring compressor from Advanced Autoparts and got a Haynes manual from the local library (all free!)
So, my rear strut replacement DIY cost me only $300 and about 6 hours of my time (including a 2 hour shopping for strut mounts/boots).
I would say it was as easy as the break job I did last month (rotors and pads), also ordered from Tire Rack.
Word of advice, if you buy KYB struts and KYB boots, go ahead and order a KYB strut mount. Actually you can go with any brand strut. My KYB struts are oil pressurized with gas, but the box stated gas struts, so don't let that throw you off, they are OEM.
If you want to keep it completely factory, you can go with Monroe ones with Monroe mounts/boots. KYB setup is 3 pieces and Monroe is 2 - pick your poison.
KYB boots come with a new damper/bumper thingy, and Monroe didn't, so I reused the original dampers (they had no signs of wear).

I will be replacing my front ones next year.

Overall, it was a nice DIY that can be done in a day, and I would recommend it to a friend (especially if his/her RX is bouncing on the road)

For a complete thread, please follow: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...uts-diy-2.html

I hope this helps.

Max
Old 08-21-12, 06:49 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

RockfordRX, do you know if there is much of a difference between your 2005 RX330 and the OP's 2009 RX350? Tire Rack does not seem to sell the KYB struts for the 2009, so it makes me wonder.
Old 08-21-12, 07:05 PM
RockfordRX
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
RockfordRX, do you know if there is much of a difference between your 2005 RX330 and the OP's 2009 RX350? Tire Rack does not seem to sell the KYB struts for the 2009, so it makes me wonder.
That's a good question, RX330inFL!
Mechanically, it doesn't make sense why would they change the rear strut design/fitment in the middle of the same (second) generation RX (since mainly the powerplant was upgraded along with some exterior cosmetic changes and enhanced sound dampening in the cabin). There was nothing wrong with the original setup. Plus, even if there was a change in suspension parts due to upgrade to a 3.5L engine, why would they do it in 2009? What about 07, and 08? Hmmm.....
The only way to find out would be to call Lexus parts dept and ask if it is (the strut) the same part number for 05 and 09 model years, or look up on Sewel's website.

Last edited by RockfordRX; 08-21-12 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-21-12, 07:13 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Cursory look on the Sewell web site seems to indicate they are the same part numbers.
Old 08-21-12, 07:20 PM
cartman57
Driver

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
rockauto lists KYB for the 2009 AWD right(339132) and left(339133) $90 each
2005 is $102 each and different part #'s
Old 08-21-12, 07:52 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

This is what I saw at Sewell:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X330-2005.html

2009 RX350 Rear Struts-rx330.png

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X350-2009.html

2009 RX350 Rear Struts-rx350.png

Quick Reply: 2009 RX350 Rear Struts