RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Did Dealer Install 10W-30 and is it OK?

Old 07-04-12, 02:54 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 408 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Did Dealer Install 10W-30 and is it OK?

While my RX was in for the A/C problem discussed on two other threads, I had them change the oil and rotate the tires. Cost me $97 for that with regular dinosaur remains oil!!!! Never again.

To boot it appears from the receipt that they put in 10W-30 oil. Am I readiing this right and if so, it that OK for this vehicle??????? (2006 RX330)

The receipt says" (Quantity) 6 Part Number 00279-1QT30-LX01
Old 07-04-12, 03:27 PM
DixieLex
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I'm with ya

Originally Posted by daryll40
While my RX was in for the A/C problem discussed on two other threads, I had them change the oil and rotate the tires. Cost me $97 for that with regular dinosaur remains oil!!!! Never again.

To boot it appears from the receipt that they put in 10W-30 oil. Am I readiing this right and if so, it that OK for this vehicle??????? (2006 RX330)

The receipt says" (Quantity) 6 Part Number 00279-1QT30-LX01
absolute ridiculous charge for oil. That's why reg maintenance I do it myself or have my trusty mechanic to take care of it.

I use Mobil 1 0w-20 in my daughter's RX and may switch to German Castrol or Redline. These are premium cars that should not get bottom of the barrel oil
Old 07-04-12, 03:34 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Ok! But you didn't answer my question. Does the part number indicate 10W-30 and if so is that wrong grade bad??
Old 07-04-12, 03:46 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

That does look like the part number for 10W-30 motor oil. They may have just been sloppy with their data entry. Only way to know would be to ask, though they could still just lie about it. Would not be a fan of running 10W in our vehicle.
Old 07-04-12, 07:59 PM
DixieLex
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default No, they didn't

Ok! But you didn't answer my question. Does the part number indicate 10W-30 and if so is that wrong grade bad??
I'd make their a@@ put the correct oil in
Old 07-05-12, 09:12 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

The vehicle goes back on Monday for the A/C repair second attempt. They now claim that they coded the oil change wrong, but will change it again just to make me happy. I don't know if I believe either...that they coded the original wrong or that they'll actually change it again. I outta mark the filter in some way to see if it gets changed or at least opened and emptied.

That's the last time I'll use the dealer for any paid service/repair.
Old 07-05-12, 09:40 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

The vehicle goes back on Monday for the A/C repair second attempt. They now claim that they coded the oil change wrong, but will change it again just to make me happy. I don't know if I believe either...that they coded the original wrong or that they'll actually change it again. I outta mark the filter in some way to see if it gets changed or at least opened and emptied.

That's the last time I'll use the dealer for any paid service/repair.
They would more than likely just do a drain and fill. Would not even touch the filter.

Thought they might say it was a data entry problem.
Old 07-05-12, 11:22 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DixieLex
absolute ridiculous charge for oil. That's why reg maintenance I do it myself or have my trusty mechanic to take care of it.

I use Mobil 1 0w-20 in my daughter's RX and may switch to German Castrol or Redline. These are premium cars that should not get bottom of the barrel oil
It's the same engine as the Highlander, Camry, etc....

That being said, I use Ultra or Mobil One synthetic oil and change around 6000 miles or whenever I can get around to it after the light comes on.

Glad they are changing the oil again for you. Find a good independent mechanic and save $$$ next time. Better yet, bring your own oil and filter to them and pay $10-$15 for the labor. That way you know you are getting the good stuff.
Old 07-05-12, 11:58 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Adamjeeps
Better yet, bring your own oil and filter to them and pay $10-$15 for the labor. That way you know you are getting the good stuff.
I know I have heard others mention this as well over the years. Personally, I find this to be bad form -- at least when it comes to things like oil and filters. You do not take a steak to the restaurant and ask them to cook it for you. Instead, I think you look for a shop you can work with and understand what products they are using. If you want them to use something else, you ask. Am sure most would accommodate and the mark up on oil and filters should not be all that much.
Old 07-05-12, 12:42 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
I know I have heard others mention this as well over the years. Personally, I find this to be bad form -- at least when it comes to things like oil and filters. You do not take a steak to the restaurant and ask them to cook it for you. Instead, I think you look for a shop you can work with and understand what products they are using. If you want them to use something else, you ask. Am sure most would accommodate and the mark up on oil and filters should not be all that much.
What if the restaurant does not offer the steak you want? I am sure they would rather have your business than have you go to another restaurant. If the shop has a problem with bringing your own materials, then I'm sure they would tell me or charge more.

You've never brought parts to a shop to have them install?
Old 07-05-12, 01:14 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Both of the last two posts are good. I do feel funny bringing my own oil. And frankly, unless I stand there like a Nanny, there's no guarantee they'll put it in. Furthermore, if I'm already paying the dealer juice, I should at least have confidence that I'm getting genuine Lexus or Lexus specified products. On the other hand, maybe we do have to be Nannies.
Old 07-05-12, 01:19 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Both of the last two posts are good. I do feel funny bringing my own oil. And frankly, unless I stand there like a Nanny, there's no guarantee they'll put it in. Furthermore, if I'm already paying the dealer juice, I should at least have confidence that I'm getting genuine Lexus or Lexus specified products. On the other hand, maybe we do have to be Nannies.
Lexus oil is not synthetic oil, as previously mentioned.

Even if they did offer synthetic, do we know what it actually is?

Moral of story: DIY if you can and know it was done properly.
Old 07-05-12, 02:59 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Adam, this is the real world. Most Lexus drivers, including myself, cannot or will not do it ourselves.
Old 07-05-12, 03:00 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

10W-30 during summer time will not really really harm our engine. That's beside the point. They have to replace it with 5W-30. Finito.
Old 07-05-12, 03:34 PM
cartman57
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamjeeps
What if the restaurant does not offer the steak you want? I am sure they would rather have your business than have you go to another restaurant. If the shop has a problem with bringing your own materials, then I'm sure they would tell me or charge more.

You've never brought parts to a shop to have them install?
Bring a steak into a McDonalds, ask them to cook it, probably wouldn't get it back! LOL!!
Most trustworthy shops will understand and be willing to work with the vehicle owner if parts are not readilly available. Oil and filter...........I don't know about that one?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Did Dealer Install 10W-30 and is it OK?