RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

I'm glad I bought extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-12, 07:18 AM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'm glad I bought extended warranty

Just bought a 2004 rx330 recently with 48k miles. When I received it I noticed the power steering fluid level was really low. Then I noticed this popping/clunk sound when I would turn the steering wheel to far left or right. Also notice it when I would hit a certain bumps or a flex in front suspension.

I took it in to the dealer and they said I need a whole new steering rack. Looks like the aftermarket warranty already served it's purpose.

I also tried to have them do the transmission reflash tsb update but they said the extended warranty company wouldnt honor it so if I want it done its $120 out of my pocket.. LAME!
Old 04-24-12, 11:29 AM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My personal opinion is that extended warranty is not worth it. It has the highest margin for the dealers and providers. If you would buy extended warranty for all of your appliants, electric gadets including phone, TV etc. I would bet that the benefit is far less than what you pay out. In addition, there are so many fine prints which you can't understand practically, especially for extended warranty for car.

My plan is to have some emergency funds for this purpose.

Again, this is my personal opinion. If you can't fall into sleep because of not aving the extnded warranty, go for it by all meanings.
Old 04-24-12, 11:41 AM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Extended Warranty

It depends upon your situation.

I paid 600 hundred dollars for 2 years of extended warranty on my RX350. Thats just one repair at the Lexus dealer.

And it has already paid for itself. When my XM reciever went out.

600 dollars for two years of peace of mind. That is .82 cents a day.
Old 04-24-12, 11:48 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPNiSS
Just bought a 2004 rx330 recently with 48k miles. When I received it I noticed the power steering fluid level was really low. Then I noticed this popping/clunk sound when I would turn the steering wheel to far left or right. Also notice it when I would hit a certain bumps or a flex in front suspension.

I took it in to the dealer and they said I need a whole new steering rack. Looks like the aftermarket warranty already served it's purpose.

I also tried to have them do the transmission reflash tsb update but they said the extended warranty company wouldnt honor it so if I want it done its $120 out of my pocket.. LAME!
Great call on the ext warranty! Good for you.
Old 04-24-12, 12:14 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I would buy a CPO when it comes to used cars....it might cost a little more than Private Sale....but the 100K miles warranty takes care of almost everything....
Old 04-24-12, 12:39 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Mercury Insurance Mechanical Breakdown coverage.. I got their highest protection which is the platinum. It covers 4 years 48k miles with $0 deductible for $2,000. I had it on my 2006 GS430 with the same company and took it in several times from A/C issues, to door and window issues.
Old 04-25-12, 05:25 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPNiSS

I took it in to the dealer and they said I need a whole new steering rack.!
Think I am experiencing this now. I wonder how much it would cost cause I don't have any warranty.
Old 04-25-12, 06:52 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

By the way,pay the $120.00 and have the trans re-flash done. You`l be very glad you did. Oh, just make sure to charge your battery real good the night before you take it in. If the battery died during the process, it can wipe out your car`s ecm.
Old 04-29-12, 05:34 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Warranty

Well, I spoke too soon.

Thursday my Air Bag light started flashing. Took it in on Saturday. And it looks like my left pilar air bag is bad. They didnt have the part. So I have a nice 2012 ES for a loaner.
Old 04-29-12, 08:05 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MC5Wes
Well, I spoke too soon.

Thursday my Air Bag light started flashing. Took it in on Saturday. And it looks like my left pilar air bag is bad. They didnt have the part. So I have a nice 2012 ES for a loaner.
Am I correct in guessing that the airbags are only covered by the 4year / 50K mile Basic Warranty?
Old 04-30-12, 04:37 AM
biglefty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been told in Florida an extended warranty is an insurance item and has a fixed price, no negotiating,
any thoughts on this..
I am buying my Dads 2008 RX350 from his estate and it was put into service 1/14/2008 and has 42k miles, did I miss buying the extended warranty, it's still titled in his name as far as dealer knows
Old 04-30-12, 05:19 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Welcome to Club Lexus.

Originally Posted by biglefty
I have been told in Florida an extended warranty is an insurance item and has a fixed price, no negotiating,
any thoughts on this..
The first part of this is true while the second part is not. Due to this fact some companies would not sell extended warranties to individuals on their products for years. Apple was one of those companies. As an individual, you could not purchase an AppleCare extended warranty in the state of FL for years. That has now changed. As for price, you can always negotiate. Some companies just choose not to negotiate.

I am buying my Dads 2008 RX350 from his estate and it was put into service 1/14/2008 and has 42k miles, did I miss buying the extended warranty, it's still titled in his name as far as dealer knows
While the Basic Warranty has expired on your dad's RX, the Powertrain Warranty is for 72 months or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

You might try talking to the following individual who has provided quotes and contacts to others here at Club Lexus. Does not matter where you purchase it as long as it is a "Lexus" warranty you should be good. Those third party ones are hit-or-miss.

Not sure if he can help you with the vehicle being out of the Basic Warranty though. Worth a shot. Have the VIN number available and let him know the details.

Jerry Johnson
Midwest Toyota
Midwest Superstore
1100 East 30th
Hutchinson, KS 67502
Phone 800-530-5789
jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com
Old 04-30-12, 05:06 PM
biglefty
Driver School Candidate

Default good info

that was timely because I just bought an Apple Care at a discount of $100 off Apple price, just went online, by the way I spoke to Jerry and he gave some great advice about 3rd party warranty in Florida for Lexus past the 4/50,000 original, strange though he said the car was originally purchased 3/07.
I did not even know they sold the model year 2008 that early so really it's a 5 year old car
Old 04-30-12, 08:07 PM
biglefty
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks

BTW thanks for the info RX330inFla
I'n in Wellington outside WPB
Old 04-30-12, 08:31 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

that was timely because I just bought an Apple Care at a discount of $100 off Apple price, just went online, by the way I spoke to Jerry and he gave some great advice about 3rd party warranty in Florida for Lexus past the 4/50,000 original, strange though he said the car was originally purchased 3/07.
I did not even know they sold the model year 2008 that early so really it's a 5 year old car
Car manufacturers for years and years have sold new vehicles where the model year is 1 year ahead of the calendar. For example, there have been 2013 vehicles on the lots for a few months now. Though, my 2004 RX330 was not available until late Summer 2003. Not much new here.

Care to share what Jerry had to say about FL and warranties? A PM is fine as needed.

Yes, AppleCare contracts are available online from a number of places. I refer people to ExperCom. Before the Apple Stores and when there were independent shops you could perhaps get them to give you a discount. However, in FL even the independents would only sell contracts to companies and not to individuals. So, there were rules regarding the extended warranty contracts that differed here in FL for individuals vs. corporate. Not sure how that has changed over the years, but I do notice that everyone tries to sell warranty upgrades these days even here in FL on just about everything.

Quick Reply: I'm glad I bought extended warranty