RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2009 RX350 Serpentine Belt Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-12, 08:30 AM
Loyota
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2009 RX350 Serpentine Belt Replacement

I normally change my own belts but just getting a glance at this one is difficult. Has anyone here had any experience accessing/replacing the serpentine drive belt? I am approaching 55K miles and have been advised (by Lexus Dealer) the belt needs changed. They have the car at the dealership now with a bad battery and water pump. The water pump is covered under warranty-the battery is on me. I am a little concerned the antifreeze from the water pump leak might have compromised the serpentine belt.
Old 04-10-12, 10:22 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus. The battery would also be under warranty. Better check that out with the service manager. Since they are changing the water pump and will have good access, just have the dealership change it belt as well. I really don't think you will save that much by DIY.
Old 04-10-12, 12:17 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

If the water pump is being replaced under warranty and the water pump failure has caused the belt to be questionable... would that not then be covered under the same repair? Would have to say that it would be a situation where the labor would be free, as they have to take the belt off to get to the water pump, and you would be only responsible for the belt part.

Be sure they explain what you will be charged for if you agree and argue as needed.

BTW, welcome to Club Lexus.
Old 04-10-12, 01:58 PM
JuliusvN
Driver School Candidate

Hello and welcome Loyota.

I would certainly agree with the opinions expressed so far - this seems like an ideal opportunity to have the belt replaced.

RX330inFL gives sage advice regarding having a clear understanding with the dealer of just what work is going to be done and what it will ultimately cost you.
Old 04-15-12, 09:44 AM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I may make a suggestion...

Call the Lexus head quarters and find out your in service date.

I thought there was an issue with my serpentine belt (Toyota service said it needed to be replaced and Lexus service center said it was fine) and I spoke to Lexus Head Quarters and was told that it's covered under the manufacture warranty (4 year / 50,000 miles) they also mentioned that belts shouldn't go bad this soon.

It doesn't hurt to call and know the facts and inform the dealership that you spoke to head quarters and they told you that this should be covered instead of just walking in not knowing and to be charged unnecessarily.
Old 04-18-12, 04:40 PM
Loyota
Driver School Candidate

The water pump, car wash and loaner came gratis Lexus dealer under the engine/drivetrain warranty that goes to something like 70K miles. The battery did not fall under any warranty as I had surpassed 50K miles. Same for the serpentine belt. They recommend changing the belt routinely at 60K. I don't see any cracks or glazing of the belt and am having 0 problems with it so I''ll opt to wait until then to change it. I had been trying to run down a phantom noise under the hood that sounded somewhat like it could have been the fuel injectors. It was a random ticking or clicking sound that I usually heard trying to navigate out of my garage in the morning. I read where others have heard similar noise and they nor the dealership could pinpoint the source. Some thought it might be a check valve located in the vaccumm line for the brake booster. I am fairly convinced in my case it was the water pump bearing. The replacement battery I got from Interstate Battery for $120 and they install free. They even have sence enough to connect temporary power to retain all your computer settings. Thanks to all for your suggestions and advice!
Old 04-18-12, 07:48 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Loyota
The water pump, car wash and loaner came gratis Lexus dealer under the engine/drivetrain warranty that goes to something like 70K miles. The battery did not fall under any warranty as I had surpassed 50K miles. Same for the serpentine belt. They recommend changing the belt routinely at 60K. I don't see any cracks or glazing of the belt and am having 0 problems with it so I''ll opt to wait until then to change it. I had been trying to run down a phantom noise under the hood that sounded somewhat like it could have been the fuel injectors. It was a random ticking or clicking sound that I usually heard trying to navigate out of my garage in the morning. I read where others have heard similar noise and they nor the dealership could pinpoint the source. Some thought it might be a check valve located in the vaccumm line for the brake booster. I am fairly convinced in my case it was the water pump bearing. The replacement battery I got from Interstate Battery for $120 and they install free. They even have sence enough to connect temporary power to retain all your computer settings. Thanks to all for your suggestions and advice!
I still have the original serpentine belt on my 2004 RX330 and it looks fine. Will replace it when I have the work done on my timing belt and water pump at 90K or 10 years whichever comes first.

Good to see another place who connects temporary power when replacing a battery.