RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Driver side cupholder

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-12, 06:27 AM
2TurboZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe its the whole assemby with the vent that pops in/out for lack of a more technical term.
Old 03-12-12, 07:02 AM
ManXP
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same problem with mine. Opened it and it didn't close properly. Thankfully, after trying to close it for 3 days, it somehow worked. I don't touch it since then.
Old 03-12-12, 07:07 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I use it to hold a can of soft drink more times than not.
Old 03-12-12, 04:03 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking at the picture, I was wondering if this can be added to the passenger side of the vehicle, so they can have their own cup holder right under the A/C.

Then I thought, this will only encourage eating in the vehicle and passengers rarely clean up after themselves. Which means more work for me.
Old 03-12-12, 07:01 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

That would have been a great idea for the passenger to also have one. The other good idea would have been able to also be able to close the centre vents, like every other car in the world. Silly design really. Does anyone know how to shut these vents (short of repointing it). Repointing is a pain as if the wife has a different temperature setting to me, she normally moves the vent towards my side which messes up my settings.
Old 03-12-12, 08:51 PM
2TurboZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by draco
That would have been a great idea for the passenger to also have one. The other good idea would have been able to also be able to close the centre vents, like every other car in the world. Silly design really. Does anyone know how to shut these vents (short of repointing it). Repointing is a pain as if the wife has a different temperature setting to me, she normally moves the vent towards my side which messes up my settings.
Simple fix....Get a new wife :P

I also agree it would be a great idea to have them on both sides in the vent.
Old 03-14-12, 01:16 AM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pax Side Drink Holder

Somewhere on Clublexus is a topic about putting a passenger cup holder in. I cant find it right now.

What he did was use a dremal on his dash. And slide one in.

A little too much work for me.
Old 03-14-12, 07:32 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, guys, thank you for all the comments. Until I read these posts I did not know I had a cup/bottle holder under the left air vent. I just 'discovered' it now, and it seems well thought out, but, other than using a cup to hold it, I wonder how someone makes it hold their cellphone.
Old 03-14-12, 11:58 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by pauljcl
Well, guys, thank you for all the comments. Until I read these posts I did not know I had a cup/bottle holder under the left air vent. I just 'discovered' it now, and it seems well thought out, but, other than using a cup to hold it, I wonder how someone makes it hold their cellphone.
Careful, it breaks easily. Especially if it is open and you hit it while entering or leaving the vehicle. Rarely use mine as I am worried I might break it.

The smaller flip phones fit in there OK. Not the bigger smart phones they have come out with of late.
Old 03-14-12, 04:43 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Hang on, I just realised something. The US cars have the vent cup holder on the left hand side for the driver. Right-hand drive cars like here in Australia, have it on the right. Assuming they are exactly the same size (as they most likely would be), it would be conceivable to assume that if I got a cup holder vent from a US car (i.e. from a wreckers yard for instance), I could have a cup holder for the passenger. The same would go for the US. If that is correct, then I don't see why anyone didn't think about this before and cut a hole in the vent (apart from being able to source the part from the wreckers).
Old 03-16-12, 06:16 PM
MC5Wes

Default Cup Holder

Didnt find the cupholder mod thread. But I did find this about replacing the cup holder.

" There is a nut and a screw that will have to be removed to get the vent/cupholder out. To access the screw and nut the lower dash will have to be removed. "
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
cupholder.bmp (222.0 KB, 1172 views)
File Type: bmp
cupholder2.bmp (222.0 KB, 1085 views)
Old 03-16-12, 07:22 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Can someone measure the US left hand side with cup holder and I will measure the Australia passenger side to see if they are interchangeable?
Old 03-18-12, 11:07 AM
MC5Wes

Default Left Side U.S. Vent

Draco
Here you go.

Also send me an email. MC5Wes@gmail.com
Attached Thumbnails Driver side cupholder-vent-1-.jpg   Driver side cupholder-vent-3-.jpg  

Last edited by MC5Wes; 03-19-12 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-19-12, 04:08 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks MC5Wes. I have just done a measurement and it sure does look to be the exact same size, meaning that, in theory, a US driver side cup holder vent would fit the Right-hand passenger vent (and vice-versa). Hence 2 cup holders on the dash.

Email sent.
Old 03-19-12, 09:01 AM
2TurboZ
Pole Position

I want royalty rights if this works! haha

It would be great to have another cupholder on the pass side...esp retractable. For all intents and purposes you can never have too many.

Quick Reply: Driver side cupholder