RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

First Car Decisions! Acura TL or RX330?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-12, 07:58 AM
bgoldman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb First Car Decisions! Acura TL or RX330?

As much as I would like to consider myself the only teenager that surfs these forums regularly, I know I'm not alone...

Anyways, I'm turning 16 in three months and I am lucky enough to take one of my parent's current cars. (Whichever one I choose, my parents will treat themselves to a new car) My options are honestly really awesome: A 2004 Lexus RX330 (AWD, 77k) and a 2006 Acura TL (Auto, 55k). Don't pull the 'spoiled' card because I am no where near that. I'm a great student, respectful, and more than anything, responsible. I live in a very ritzy part of Florida, where kids my age drive M3s, Benzes, and other crazy expensive cars. I understand this is a Lexus forum, and it would be no different if I posted on the AcuraZine forum, but I was wondering if I could get any unbiased recommendations.

The RX330 is in superb condition and is loaded with basically every option available, including the AWD package and technology package (I live in Florida, where the rain is more of an issue than snow). Granted it is a bit older than the TL, but I feel it will hold it's value much better when I am ready to buy a car on my own.

The TL is in good condition, my mom got rear-ended a few years ago and the passenger-side rear bumper is a little uneven due to a crappy fix from Acura (this is my OCD talking, haha) and there are a few scratches around the car (It's Abyss Blue Pearl and dark colors show everything!) Nevertheless, this TL is loaded with everything inside as well.

The tech in the TL is better, as is it's sportiness, but my dad is straining that his RX as a safer bet for a first car, and I agree. Please, any suggestions would be totally cool!
Old 02-05-12, 08:15 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts
Default RX330 for the win!

The RX, it's safer and slower. It'll keep you out of trouble, hopefully. It'll attract less cops then the TL. That's the number one reason I choose the RX300 when I was starting off. The RX is in my opinion built better, and more refined. But it's hard to compare the two since they are two totally different types of cars. I'd be afraid of the TL, considering it's transmission history. The gas mileage will obviously be better in the TL, so that's something to consider.

Of course, If it was me I'd choose the RX. But, this is a Lexus forum, and you are going to get biased information.
Old 02-05-12, 08:17 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

The TL is sportier, something kids love, but being that you are even giving the LExus a thought shows a real mature attitude....Go with the Lexus, you wont go wrong....
Old 02-05-12, 08:51 AM
bgoldman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
The RX, it's safer and slower. It'll keep you out of trouble, hopefully. It'll attract less cops then the TL. That's the number one reason I choose the RX300 when I was starting off. The RX is in my opinion built better, and more refined. But it's hard to compare the two since they are two totally different types of cars. I'd be afraid of the TL, considering it's transmission history. The gas mileage will obviously be better in the TL, so that's something to consider.

Of course, If it was me I'd choose the RX. But, this is a Lexus forum, and you are going to get biased information.
Agreed. Just spending some time on Acura's forums have made me want to add so many things to the TL to make it look good, but I don't feel the mods would add value, thus if I go with a stock vehicle, I may as well take the RX which is nicer to leave alone

Originally Posted by thomas1
The TL is sportier, something kids love, but being that you are even giving the LExus a thought shows a real mature attitude....Go with the Lexus, you wont go wrong....
Thanks! Yeah, it's sportier, but practicality on the RX is better, especially when I eventually go to college. Plus, looking into the future, I have to think that the RX would hold a better value for resell?
Old 02-05-12, 09:14 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Hey and you will be different, not like everyone else, time to express yourself....
Old 02-05-12, 09:49 AM
Goodboy2
Driver School Candidate

Both are great rigs and you can't go wrong with either one. My dad has an RX as his daily driver and loves it - the higher seating position and quiet environment are definitely positives. When we go out together with my kids, buy something large, or I borrow the RX when it snows (he has AWD), the practicality and utility are awesome. If you ever envision carting around a bike or two, the nod goes to the RX. Meanwhile, I have a G37S sedan as a daily driver and love the hot rod handling and power - it's like wearing a power suit. While this generally works because my wife drives a Sienna and dad has the RX, I do miss not having the cargo capacity with me at all times. Why not take both??? Aggregate book value is still well below an M3 and otherwise...

I feel your pain on the color of the TL and bumper issue. Suggest taking the TL back to the repair facility and demand that the repair be corrected to your satifaction. The shoddy repair is unacceptable especially for an Acura shop. As hypervish indicated, Honda/Acura was having issues with the 5-speed tranny, but I believe the '06 is in the safe zone. You might want to confirm with an Acura dealership as to whether yours was part of the recall/remedied and subject to the extended warranty. With gas prices so high, the nod does go to the TL.

It really comes down to whether you need/want the hauling capacity and which driving dynamics you prefer. Both are very well built and can last a long long time. The '06 generation TL has the best styling and shape thus far for the TL and looks great in stock form (save for adding the lip to the trunk lid), but it is a bit cramped in the back seat. You might also want to inquire about insurance rates and factor that into your decision if there is a material difference in premiums as well as proximity to stealerships for service.
Old 02-05-12, 09:56 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're planning on keeping it up until and throughout college, take the RX. I have the Jag X-Type for when I'm on campus, and while I appreciate the smaller car for street parking when I'm around campus or downtown, the RX is only 3 inches longer. And there have been plenty of times where I've needed to haul stuff and it's been a pain to try to load it into a small sedan.

Bikes, furniture, random stuff. Roadtrip gear, etc. You will appreciate the versatility the RX offers.
Old 02-05-12, 10:09 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

The deciding factor should be your need and use.

The second factor should be fuel economy. If you drive a lot then it would move up.

In case you need a tie breaker then go with your heart.

Salim
Old 02-05-12, 10:36 AM
2TurboZ
Pole Position

This is a Lexus forum so I am assuming most people here will side with you getting the RX

But keep this all in mind

1. Cost of operation - MPG...Insurance...Repairs

2. Usage - Do you want to be the guy carting around all of your friends all of the time since you have the bigger vehicle? Do you need an SUV? Do you like riding taller?

3. Enjoyment of ownership - Have something you will like using everyday regardless of situation.
Old 02-05-12, 10:42 AM
bgoldman
Driver School Candidate

Fuel economy isn't tat much of a priority. The RX is not a gas guzzler, and the TL only beats it by a few miles per gallon for short city trips. Maintenance is the same in both vehicles. The RX has more miles, but also has the benefit of an optional extended warranty (we bought through CarMax w/ factory warranty, and CarMax has their own extended program) while the TL is not covered. That's a huge plus if we can get an extended warranty. The extra cargo is useful (my friends drive smaller cars and it's a pain trying to squeeze people in the back of a sports coupe) but I am not looking to be a chauffeur in the RX I don't see that becoming an issue, but nonetheless I still have three months to think it through.
Old 02-05-12, 10:48 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Another thing about the RX that really keeps me in an SUV, is the visibility factor. You can see pretty much everything, and I've found the blind spots to be minimal (when compared to other cars). Also, when driving at night, you won't get annoying headlights bothering you from all of the mirrors, because the RX is tall.
Old 02-05-12, 10:52 AM
bgoldman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
Another thing about the RX that really keeps me in an SUV, is the visibility factor. You can see pretty much everything, and I've found the blind spots to be minimal (when compared to other cars). Also, when driving at night, you won't get annoying headlights bothering you from all of the mirrors, because the RX is tall.
Totally agreed! I've only driven the high way a few times (only in the RX) and visibility is great. That's my favorite part about it. The TL is harder to see out the rear (then again, it is a lower vehicle) but the backup camera on the RX is also very useful. Parallel parking in the RX is as simple as can be. Very few blind spots in the RX.
Old 02-05-12, 11:00 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What part of FL are you in goldman? Along with everyone else, I say go with the RX. You wont regret it.
Old 02-05-12, 11:01 AM
bgoldman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
What part of FL are you in goldman? Along with everyone else, I say go with the RX. You wont regret it.
Tampa area.
Old 02-05-12, 11:22 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

My son will be in the same situation as you in the next couple months. Except he's not going to get a choice, cause there's no way I'm giving him my 2012 Camry. My wife's 2002 RX doesn't get driven much, its in decent shape and he would rather have it than a older Camry that was the initial plan. Ha and I dont think my wife will mind much because that means she gets another Lexus. Good luck and I'd take the TL. Teaches you restraint.

Quick Reply: First Car Decisions! Acura TL or RX330?