RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

rx330 starting/electrical problems. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-12, 10:56 PM
japanbran
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

battery installed properly. we also tried to jump it so i do not think a different battery would matter since trying to jump it did nothing. i will go through thru fuses again. are there any to check besides under the dash and thru box in the motor bay
Old 01-28-12, 12:13 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by japanbran
battery installed properly. we also tried to jump it so i do not think a different battery would matter since trying to jump it did nothing. i will go through thru fuses again. are there any to check besides under the dash and thru box in the motor bay
I was not too clear in asking the question ,,, ,was the battery installed with terminals reversed for a brief time ... this causes some fuses to blow.

The headlight dimming a bit confirms if the starter is drawing current and it seems it is not.

Saliim
Old 01-28-12, 01:41 AM
japanbran
Rookie

nope. the terminals never touched or reversed. Yea, headlights and gauge cluster lights are bright. key will unlock the doors, thats about it. I cant get the hatch open at all, windows dont work, seats dont work, radio, ac, power outlets.. nothing but the gauge cluster. is there maybe a main fuse or something that I dont know about?
Old 01-28-12, 03:03 PM
japanbran
Rookie

PROBLEM IS FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!! CAR IS ON THE ROAD AGAIN.

SOLUTION

After spending all trying working on it I tested the + wire in the fuse box in the motor bay, It was only getting 1.68v to it instead of 12.00v. So i took the fuse box apart and followed the positive wire from the battery into the box. Where the wire bolts to the ALT fuse was very lose. I then picked up a new ALT fuse since I was already in there, replaced it and made sure the wire was tight. Put it all back together and tested it again. full 12.66v to the + wire in the fuse box! grabbed the key, went to start the car, and she started right up. Big thanks to everyone that tried to help!
The following users liked this post:
LRX05 (04-05-18)
Old 01-28-12, 07:12 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Congrats. Am sure your folks are appreciative of all the work you put into this troubleshooting.
Old 04-21-12, 04:41 AM
bealrv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have similiar problem to the one describe above, however, I have radio, lights and windows, everything else is the same. I've replaced battery(new) and starter twice in addition to relay. When I turn the key in the ignition I hear a low level humm, nothing else. A mechanic suggested it was the ignition switch connector that has gone bad?

Obviously when they replaced the starters the problem went away for awhile but they game back
Old 09-23-12, 08:14 AM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jamodeo
Even if there was interference from another source and the car couldn't read the security tag in the key, the car would attempt to "turn over" but you would just continuously hear the starter over and over because the fuel cut off is the only thing that stops when it doesn't sense the security part of the key... So you would hear some kind of attempt for the car to start, there just wouldn't be any fuel for it to actually start.

-Joe

I realize this is delayed and off-topic a bit but I am having a small problem with starting my RX330 '05. Car was in a fender bender a few weeks ago (right front light out; needed new fender - ruled 'not at fault'; car in front stopped dead in a rotary!)... When I got the car back I noticed that there is a slight hesitation before the engine catches. (I also just noticed that the wiper fluid canteen cannot be filled - all goes to the ground immediately - probably a tube not hooked back up. Or a large puncture?)

Is it possible that they unplugged something when replacing the right front light and bumper, so that the fuel injection is not working right? Maybe something loose?
Old 11-09-14, 03:27 PM
Taidaisher
Driver School Candidate

I had this same problem.
The car died on my wife. The instrument panel was working but nothing else, no radio, windows, steering column, etc. We replaced the battery and had the same problem with the new battery.

Working through all the fuses & relays, I discover the main fuse, 140amp fuse link had gone bad. The fuse is bolted on the sides with an 8mm and a 10mm bolt. That was so much fun to replace.

Once I replaced the fuse, which is a factory only fuse, couldn't find it at any local auto parts stores or amazon, the car started. I have windows, steering column, radio, chair, etc. The only thing not working now is the navigation screen, which also controls the AC/Heat, and the back up camera.

Any suggestions? I've gone through the manual and have checked every fuse that has any reference to nav screen.

Last edited by Taidaisher; 11-09-14 at 05:43 PM. Reason: correction
Old 05-16-16, 06:20 AM
jcwray
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
That is good information.

I would suggest look through the fuses in the engine compartment. Some of the fuses are bolted in (due to high current demand).

Did any one put in the new battery the wrong way? +/- swapped. or any bad experience giving/getting jump.

Salim
My neighbor replaced my battery for me and put it in backwards.. fixed fusible link and power comes on but starter just keep turning with key turned.. Will not start
Old 05-16-16, 07:14 AM
jcwray
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jcwray
My neighbor replaced my battery for me and put it in backwards.. fixed fusible link and power comes on but starter just keep turning with key turned.. Will not start
Saved. My wife found my unbroken key and it worked like a charm..
Old 07-19-17, 08:31 PM
ttnguyen23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jcwray
Where is the fuse link in 2007 RX350?

Thanks
Old 04-04-18, 06:58 PM
te7708e
Driver School Candidate

Default 2006 Lexus rx330

my 2006 lexus rx330 is having trouble starting. I went to advanced auto parts store to have battery, starter, and alternator checked and everything is working properly. However, the car still had its original battery and my mechanic said I needed to replace it because batteries should be replaced 3 to 4 years. I replace the battery a week ago and today car sat for 10 minutes and it would not start. I received a jump and car started... not sure what the problem is.. please help...
Old 06-11-18, 11:56 AM
Xenoclast
Driver School Candidate

Default I believe I have the same problem with my RX330

SOLUTION

After spending all trying working on it I tested the + wire in the fuse box in the motor bay, It was only getting 1.68v to it instead of 12.00v. So i took the fuse box apart and followed the positive wire from the battery into the box. Where the wire bolts to the ALT fuse was very lose. I then picked up a new ALT fuse since I was already in there, replaced it and made sure the wire was tight. Put it all back together and tested it again. full 12.66v to the + wire in the fuse box! grabbed the key, went to start the car, and she started right up. Big thanks to everyone that tried to help!
How the heck did you get to the ALT fuse? I can’t get the fuse box apart enough to get to it!

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-21-21, 08:10 AM
Brucecav
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thnk I may have the same starting problem with my rx330.
Can you tell me which fuse is the one (ALT fuse) that was the problem? I took the fuse box cover off and not sure which is the alt fuse. A picture would be helpful too.
Thanks so much!