RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

mirror paint flaking off please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-11, 09:23 PM
Gavinw35
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation mirror paint flaking off please help

I have a 2004 rx330 bamboo pearl colored paint and live in Las Vegas where the sun is pretty harsh on cars. I would think for a luxury brand Lexus paint wouldn't flake. Both of my side mirrors are flaking off and getting worse every time water gets on the mirror and under the paint. Has anyone else had this happen to them? What do you all recommend? Reapinting them? (How much would that cost?) Or I found chrome mirror covers on eBay with matching door handles for a reasonable price? I'm worried that they would look cheap and not age well.. PLEASE HELP LOL IM LOST ON WHAT TO DO

Last edited by Gavinw35; 12-26-11 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-26-11, 09:51 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

The paint on your Lexus is a three step process. Not something I would just take to any shop.

Many of the covers on eBay are garbage.

Please post a picture showing the problem.
Old 12-26-11, 09:57 PM
Gavinw35
Rookie

I will post pics as soon as I get back as I am still on vacation. It really has been bothering me and is not only on one mirror but both. It feels rough where the paint has pealed, maybe it is just the clear coat that is coming off but what I dont understand is that I wash and wax the car WEEKLY. This should not be happening.
Old 01-02-12, 02:44 PM
Gavinw35
Rookie

Default Pics

Here are the mirrors, It looks terrible and just gets worse anytime water comes in contact with them...
Attached Thumbnails mirror paint flaking off please help-photo-11.jpg   mirror paint flaking off please help-photo-12.jpg  
Old 01-02-12, 02:49 PM
Gavinw35
Rookie

Im sort of overwhelmed right now, My Maint reminder light is on for the 90,000 mile service, my check engine light is on along with the Trac off and VSC light on, had the codes read and it was something about an emissions leak, and I have the mirrors flaking and i Just had to get new tires. Not to mention having the rotors replaced on our Jaguar and we noticed this morning the Jaguar is leaking something... These are the first two cars we have kept past 50,000 miles and we are very much regreting it right now :/ Does it get better or will there always be something wrong at this point, Lexus = 93,000 miles.
Old 01-02-12, 03:19 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't speak to the wisdom of keeping the Jag but I think once you get past the midlife 90k maintenance you'll do fine with the RX.

The RX needs a major service right now and once you do that you should be fine for some time to come. I would consider changing all the fluids, brakes, trans, radiator, steering, oil, do the timing belt and the lights could possible be o2 sensors.

Sorry about the mirrors, guess the NV sun got to them but I've never heard of it happening there before. Yours may have been defective. Couldn't cost that much to paint them.
Old 01-02-12, 03:37 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

A lot cheaper to fix what you have than to make car payments on another one which unless new might have problems as well regardless of make and model.
Old 01-02-12, 10:18 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

The emissions leak could be the gas cap is loose or needs to be replaced.
Old 01-04-12, 03:14 AM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gavinw35
PLEASE HELP LOL IM LOST ON WHAT TO DO
Gavinw35
Welcome to Clublexus. Just a couple of tips for you and any other new members.

Search Google prior to posting any questions. If you have no luck.

Use the search function on Clublexus. It is outstanding. When your looking for help. Look in all of the Lexus models. They all use the same systems.

Also every question you could possibly think of asking. Ever. Has already been answered.

If your looking into how your car operates. The owners manual for your car is online at this Lexus web site.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home

It also has a great search functions.

If after all this you have no luck. And want to start a new topic. State which type of car and equipment you have installed. For example the year. Is it a 330 or 350. FWD or AWD. Is it a Lexus that was sold in the states or overseas. Mark Levinson or Premium Stereo. Navigation. Rear Entertainment. Does the system work and your only getting a warning. Things like that.

On your car. I would deal with real problems before I worry about a cosmetic problem.

Fix the leak on your JAG.

The warnings lights that are on can be caused by something as simple as your gas cap being loose. Reset your lights. And see if the lights come back.

Look at these forums. And you will see how to reset your warnings.

On your mirror. You can replace. Paint it. Or cover it up. Its up to you.

Youre car is not going to rust too much here in Vegas. So I would just sand it down. And throw some primer on it. Worry about it when the other problems are fixed.

Good luck and welcome to Club Lexus.
Old 05-08-12, 09:52 AM
stevies30
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Several of us have had trouble with peeling paint on the Bamboo Pearl color. There is a great thread about it on this forum if you search for it.
Old 12-28-13, 12:21 PM
RX3302004
Pole Position

Default Paint coming off side mirrors housings, 2004 RX

Has anyone else had this problem? The mirror housings on both sides have lost about half of their top layer of paint, mainly at the top to middle. The vehicle has only 62k on it, and is garage kept most of the time. I've never seen a vehicle do this.
Thanks.
Old 12-28-13, 12:34 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RX3302004
Has anyone else had this problem? The mirror housings on both sides have lost about half of their top layer of paint, mainly at the top to middle. The vehicle has only 62k on it, and is garage kept most of the time. I've never seen a vehicle do this.
Thanks.
Would you have the Bamboo Pearl paint on your RX? Then yes, this has been discussed previously here at CL. Happens to the door handles as well. You just need to search the forums.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ease-help.html

There are others as well.
Old 12-29-13, 06:54 AM
RX3302004
Pole Position

Yes, that's the color I have.
I did searches but apparently didn't put in the right keywords.
Thanks for the link.
Old 12-29-13, 10:17 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RX3302004
Yes, that's the color I have.
I did searches but apparently didn't put in the right keywords.
Thanks for the link.
I have found it easier some times to go out to Google, type in my search terms and add site:www.clublexus.com to the list to help narrow the search to just CL.
Old 08-02-17, 01:57 PM
brucereno
Driver School Candidate

Default Paint peeling...mirror mounts on 2004RX330

Anyone else have this irritation? My RX330 has stock black mirror mounts, and the mirrors match the body paint. The mirror paint is fine, but the shiny black on the mirror mounts has bubbled, chipped and peeled off....on both exterior mirrors. Anyonoe know if it tales a special paiint to home paint these mounts? They are an ugly cream colored plastic under teh peeling black paint.
Can I remove the mirror portion by just removing the two Torx screws from the bottom side? Wouold make masking and painting easier.

Thanks

Quick Reply: mirror paint flaking off please help