RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

235 mile road trip to check out a CPO Lexus 2009 RX350

Old 12-22-11, 04:09 AM
Barryst
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 235 mile road trip to check out a CPO Lexus 2009 RX350

Hi!

I'm leaving tomorrow to see a RX350 at Prestige Lexus in New Jersey.

I have been looking for another brandywine color Lexus, and they had a couple of them.
I was not fast enough to purchace the one I was going to get that was very close to home compared to this road trip.
Has anyone had dealings with Prestige? I don't know anything about them, other than they sell a lot of cars.
What should I look at other than the headlight condsation, and transmission fluid color.
Are there any other problems on the 2009 that I should look for?

Hopefully this car, will still be there tomorrow!

Thanks!

Barryst
Old 12-22-11, 06:01 AM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

hope you are not driving...would be much easier to take acela express down to jersey and have the dealer pick you up from the closest station.

Acela to Newark
Newark to secaucus junction new jersey transit
secaucus junction to ramsey route 17 station.
Old 12-22-11, 07:10 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Well since it`s a Jersey car, make sure it has brake pads left! They dont pull the wheels over there to check. (at the inspection stations) any way.
Old 12-22-11, 08:08 AM
Barryst
Driver

Yeah, I'm going to drive down. Its a bad habit I have. I like to drive. (I mean LOVE to drive) Thats why I need another RX!
Thanks!
I'll be sure to check those brakes.
I'll also be sure to embarrass the wife when I crawl underneath the car while I'm there. I like to look for leaks!

barryst
Old 12-22-11, 08:36 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Barryst
Yeah, I'm going to drive down. Its a bad habit I have. I like to drive. (I mean LOVE to drive) Thats why I need another RX!
Thanks!
I'll be sure to check those brakes.
I'll also be sure to embarrass the wife when I crawl underneath the car while I'm there. I like to look for leaks!

barryst

Check the trans fluid/power steering condition too.
Old 12-22-11, 09:07 AM
Barryst
Driver

Originally Posted by lexus114
Check the trans fluid/power steering condition too.
Thanks! I will check those for sure!

I guess I'm just paranoid about those fancy headlights getting condensation inside, along with future headlight problems.... All new to me coming from a 99 RX!
Old 12-22-11, 09:15 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

if it's a CPO it has to meet the minimum requirements for brakes and other stuff...

good luck with your purchase!
Old 12-22-11, 09:15 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess I'm just paranoid about those fancy headlights getting condensation inside, along with future headlight problems.... All new to me coming from a 99 RX!
I have a 09RX350. No problems - none! Chances are that you will find a great car. [I also came from a 99RX!].Good luck.
Old 12-22-11, 04:07 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been there. It's a very small dealership. I've seen Wal-Marts bigger than that dealership.

It's funny because I was going to buy my Rx 350 from there but seen one with Navigation for $100 cheaper at an Acura dealer so I went there instead. In my opinion they were not that high pressure sales and also they were not that snobbish.

When I went there, I knew my credit score, how much I was willing to pay and how I was going to finance the rest. So it was just a matter of them having the car that I want at the millage I wanted at.

I've had service done there. Someone tried to break into my ride by trying to drill through the lock and had it replace there. They have internet coupons and worked with me with the price to fix and repair it.

Anyway, good luck. Let us know how you make out.
Old 12-22-11, 04:27 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

I just went to the website and notice that there were 2 brandy wine color '09 vehicles.

Just keep in mind that the manufacture warranty run out at 50,000 miles. One of them is 34k miles and the other is 44k miles and a little over a thousand dollars in price difference. I doubt if either one is the pebble beach edition. Also check the drivers side door and the sicker should tell you what month and year the vehicle went into production, this is important to know if you decide to get a platinum warranty later on. Its funny how the pictures in this dealers ads, that part of the sticker is missing. Anyway.

Most of their vehicles did not have navigation and it's the same thing that I'm seeing at the website.

The other near by Lexus dealers are in New York, (Manhattan would be way over price, Brooklyn is questionable, and Queens if they gave away for free I still wouldn't take it.) The one in Bridgewater, plenty of vehicles short hours and quite a drive, and Edison (which was too snobby for me, didn't want to budge on the price and had high millage but well maintained vehicles).

Just my two cents.
Old 12-22-11, 05:20 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Prestige's Toyota dealer next door was fine, I don't have any experience with their Lexus dealer. Bridgewater has a Brandywine RX in stock with 48K (that's where I've purchased my RXs). Edison doesn't have any. They're both owned by Penske. Lexus of Route 10 (formerly Warnock) in Whippany has a Brandywine RX with 23K miles. I say if Prestige doesn't work out, hop on Route 287 south for another 20 miles to go there. Good luck and safe trip.
Old 12-23-11, 08:53 AM
lanb
Driver

Just remember that Lexus is only covering the replacement of these headlights
with original warranty, not CPO warranty - at least for now.

Good Luck !
Old 12-24-11, 04:15 AM
Barryst
Driver

Sorry I didn't get back to the forum last night, I was still summarizing my thoughts of the day.

I was disappointed in what Lexus calls CPO vehicles that are supposed to be "ready for sale"

The first Brandywine with 35,000 miles had way too many scratches on the door handles and bumpers.
Also looks like it had a paint repair on the passenger’s side front fender. I did not like the repair someone attempted. It looked like orange peel finish, with the paint not looking as metallic as the drivers side.
Passenger side black leather armrest had a rip in the leather. Driver side window controls silver plastic benzel was also pretty scratched as well.

The second Brandywine RX was in the second row. 44,XXX miles. (The one I originally wanted) It had much better paint. (Except for some glue or epoxy someone dripped on the rear Lexus logo underneath the rear wiper). I was really interested in this car, until I started it up. It had such a "drone" noise (Muffler?) and vibration when in drive with foot on the brake. I couldn't believe they didn't hear and repair this! Salesman quickly says that can be repaired. It should have been done when it was "Certified". There was also 3 tires replaced, along with the battery.(Carfax Report) Why just 3 tires, and not all 4?
I really was not happy, but went inside to see what the salesman would do for us. Then we were part of a game of "wait one minute please..." back and forth of talking nonsense for about 40 more minutes. Then the sales man didn't even come back. (Probably busy with another customer!) So we walked out. I am not too happy with Lexus CPO cars. I think it’s a line of crap. They will repair things that you call out, after the fact. Why are not these cars gone over inside and out, before they are put out on the lot for sale.

When I purchased my USED 99 RX with 46,000 miles, was in much better shape when I purchased it at an Acura dealer!
As a matter of fact, my current Lexus just has a few more dings than that car has! (I must still own a CPO!)

I guess I expected more from Lexus hearing about all the CPO commercials on TV.

So much for my Brandywine adventure. I will hold on a while longer before pulling the trigger on a vehicle.
It makes me just want to repair my old RX and just keep it going. It ran 10 hours straight without a whimper!
What a car!

Thanks to all for your input to this thread, you guys are great!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

-barryst
Old 12-24-11, 04:21 AM
Barryst
Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
Prestige's Toyota dealer next door was fine, I don't have any experience with their Lexus dealer. Bridgewater has a Brandywine RX in stock with 48K (that's where I've purchased my RXs). Edison doesn't have any. They're both owned by Penske. Lexus of Route 10 (formerly Warnock) in Whippany has a Brandywine RX with 23K miles. I say if Prestige doesn't work out, hop on Route 287 south for another 20 miles to go there. Good luck and safe trip.
Sorry I didn't read they had another Brandywine this close! Oh well I was not in the mood after this ordeal.-
Thank you for your tip though!

barryst
Old 12-24-11, 07:28 AM
Weighit
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, when we went hunting for a CPO car here in Az the ones i saw were really gone through. new tires, new front brakes, new wipers front and rear, detailed clean, new floor mats front & rear and overall, really nice, but the pricing reflected that service too. I was able to talk the salesman and his boss into the price I felt I wanted to pay, but it was still over what I could buy a non certified car for by about 2 grand. The longer warranty was what we wanted and i guess paid for.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 235 mile road trip to check out a CPO Lexus 2009 RX350