RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Clicking sound in the center stack coming from a vent motor?? Need Tech advice!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-10, 04:52 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts
Exclamation Clicking sound in the center stack coming from a vent motor?? Need Tech advice!!!

Hello All!

My wifes 2004 RX330 has been making a clicking noise for a little while now every once in a while. I turn off all the AC and heat controls and the noise still exists. I took the cover off on the drivers side footwell to the right of the accelerator. The cover comes off with two black push in clips.

I exposed the area where the noise was coming from and watched a motor with four wires coming out from the harness. The motor looks like it controls a vent lever but I'm not sure. I wrote the part # down I got off the motor but nothing came up doing a search.

The motor says 12v on the side and then it has the following part # 063700-8820 11E4000

It seems like the motor just wiggles back and forth and if I try to help it, the thing keeps wanting to work but won't. I think the motor is bad but I figure I would ask one of the techs on here for help in figuring out what might be the problem and what the part actually does. Thank you for your time!
Old 10-07-10, 09:47 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I have a similar issue right now. It is sort of a clicking sound, very random. Not related to any fan, AC or anything else. The minute you crank the engine, it starts doing it.

It just ticks, clicks....soft, hard, no frequency, just pure random. I need to take it in.

It appears like it is coming from the center stack.
Old 10-07-10, 02:07 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

My Highlander, before I got the RX330, had this random clicking noise. It was a controller for the climate control that opened/closed a vent. I took it to a radiator shop and they replaced the part for half the cost of the Dealer. I'm betting the RX and the Highlander both use similar controllers in the climate control system.
Old 10-07-10, 03:50 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Thanks! Mandy, if you bring it into the dealer and have it fixed, please let me know what the cost is. I can fix it myself but I need to know what the part is called first so that I can order it.
Old 10-09-10, 10:00 PM
richonline
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is the broken Denso mode or temp servo motor behind the glove box. Very common issue with the RX300. Dealer will charge $500 plus to replace. Search the Rx300 diy, I did mine with $125 cost in one hour. Also remember the noise will become much louder to drive you crazy.
Originally Posted by mandyfig
I have a similar issue right now. It is sort of a clicking sound, very random. Not related to any fan, AC or anything else. The minute you crank the engine, it starts doing it.

It just ticks, clicks....soft, hard, no frequency, just pure random. I need to take it in.

It appears like it is coming from the center stack.
Old 10-09-10, 11:33 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmmmmm I am curious about this. I think I might have the same problem. Watching this thread.
Old 10-10-10, 08:50 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

this seemed to be more problem prone on the 1st gen. RX.
Old 10-10-10, 09:41 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mandyfig did you find out what the issue was?? You have a 2nd gen yes?

lexus114 I figure it's a diff. problem. Still would like to find out where the heck the sound is coming from. For me it's not all the time, but when it is, it's totally annoying.

Last edited by infinirx; 10-10-10 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-12-10, 04:21 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by richonline
It is the broken Denso mode or temp servo motor behind the glove box. Very common issue with the RX300. Dealer will charge $500 plus to replace. Search the Rx300 diy, I did mine with $125 cost in one hour. Also remember the noise will become much louder to drive you crazy.
Thank you! That's the info I needed. I will check that old thread out and order the part. I will let everyone know the outcome.
Old 10-12-10, 06:18 PM
HimSelf
Rookie

Default same problem...but a little more

Hi everyone,

I have the same problem for 6 month now. The clicking sound is still there but now there is a new sound. It sounds like someone is slurping with a straw.

Cheap solution:

I'm think for my next checkup I will ask the dealer to do the TBS for the dash rattle and at the same time ask them to check the vent motor see if it is working. This way I can have a second option for free and if the price is good I will get it fixed.
Old 10-15-10, 05:24 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by mmade22
Thank you! That's the info I needed. I will check that old thread out and order the part. I will let everyone know the outcome.
Please let us know.

My noise is consistently there. Even when the engine is not running.

Tick-tick-slurp-crack-tick....it is annoying.

Time for a service trip.

And there is an issue with my driver's seat. A long plastic rail is sticking out...something is not right, this piece is like a shim, but obviously is not at teh right location. Another thing to get repaired.
Old 10-15-10, 12:15 PM
dfrankhill
Driver School Candidate

Default Clicking noise in Dash

We were informed by the dealership that the noise was from a small servo motor. Estimated repair 5 to 6 hundred dollars.
This is a 2004 rx330. My wife fixed it. Here is what she did.
1. Put the temp system in dual
2. Run the pass temp to 80 or above.
3. Set the drivers temp to whatever you desire.

Why the pass side does not blow hot air, I do not know. Works for us. Maybe for you.

Dave Hill
Old 10-15-10, 01:00 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by dfrankhill
We were informed by the dealership that the noise was from a small servo motor. Estimated repair 5 to 6 hundred dollars.

Why the pass side does not blow hot air, I do not know. Works for us. Maybe for you.

Dave Hill
this isnt a permanent fix.....

guys this write up i did is specific to the Gs model (as apparently the RX and the Gs model share this issue) but it should also give you a idea of how to replace them yourself without pay the outrageous price of the dealership

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...vo-motors.html

there are a few people who have cleaned them using this process

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...rvomotors.html

but i tried it and it didnt last for me so i just replaced them. try either one if you want....
Old 10-15-10, 01:32 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dfrankhill

Dave Hill
$500 to $600 to fix! The vehicle only 6 years old!
Old 10-16-10, 04:37 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Estimated repair 5 to 6 hundred dollars.
Had my '02 Highlander servo (same as RX300) repaired for $125 at the local radiator and AC shop. Took 10 minutes to install.

Quick Reply: Clicking sound in the center stack coming from a vent motor?? Need Tech advice!!!