RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Electrical Malfunctions with New Battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-11, 04:51 PM
pamada
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Malfunctions with New Battery

Immediately after a new battery was installed on my 2005 RX330, several electrical components began to malfunction.

For example, I have been unable to open the rear windows from the drivers side controls or use the auto down feature on the front windows. Also, the power roof sometimes stops opening halfway and the auto rear hatch opens only a few inches and then closes.

The Lexus service technician insists that the battery has been installed properly, and claims that the switches and buttons that operate these features have inexplicably worn out all at the same time.

I don't believe it's a conincidence that all these issues occurred right after the battery was replaced. Could these problems be associated with improper grounding/connection or a short in the wiring system? Does some electrical monitor have to be reset that was tripped when the old battery was disconnected?
Old 10-09-11, 05:45 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

The replacement of the battery requires that these things be reinitialized. The instructions are in your manual but briefly you can do the following.

Go to each window and hold the button down while the window lowers and closes. This should reset the windows.

For the roof, press and hold the tilt button while the roof tilts open and closed, slides open and closed. Release the button and it should be reset.

For the rear hatch open it and close it manually.

Removal of the battery will also reset your transmission and cause it to relearn your driving style.

I may have forgot some but I think that covers it. I'd also suggest that your Lexus mechanic is full of BS. I'd talk to the service manager about his suggestion that the parts all wore out at once or find another dealership.

ps: Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by jfelbab; 10-09-11 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-09-11, 06:01 PM
Sandhopper
Rookie

Great tips... Would have never guessed changing the battery would have caused so much chaos...
Old 10-09-11, 06:53 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandhopper
Great tips... Would have never guessed changing the battery would have caused so much chaos...
I would have never guessed that the Lexus service technician would not have known he had to reinitialize the car.

Last edited by Lust4Lexus; 10-10-11 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-09-11, 07:33 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
I would have never guessed that the Lexus service technician would not have known he had to reinitialize the car.
I concur. Pamada, please let us know the Lexus shop in question so we can avoid. Thanks.
Old 10-09-11, 07:59 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

I can't believe that a dealer would not use a plug in battery to keep all the presets and window settings. The one I use is a portable jump starter with the double ended plug for the acc power outlet. You plug in both ends turn on the ignition and change the battery making sure you keep the positive cable covered so as not to cause a short circuit. I put a leather glove over the positive cable till I'm done.
Jeff
Old 10-09-11, 09:40 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pamada I would file a complaint to the Lexus service manager, how can the technician not know that you need to reset windows, sunroof, etc after battery replacement. After all they all went through training and have big service manual that are ISO 9001 for them to follow standard operating procedures and working instructions.

You might want to read up on the owners' manual for helpful tips to reset windows
Old 10-10-11, 12:10 AM
LxRxKen
Driver School Candidate

yeah, when I changed batteries in my infiniti at autozone, they brought out a computer that saves all settings or prevents the system from resetting or something like that. Or did they connect it to a spare battery? Anyways, they did something to prevent whats happening to you, to me. =)
Old 10-10-11, 01:49 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

you need to reset your power windows and moonroof....
Old 10-10-11, 09:25 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mowmow
pamada I would file a complaint to the Lexus service manager, how can the technician not know that you need to reset windows, sunroof, etc after battery replacement. After all they all went through training and have big service manual that are ISO 9001 for them to follow standard operating procedures and working instructions.

You might want to read up on the owners' manual for helpful tips to reset windows

I agree with mowow. Do you think the tech was trying to push for new switches, as to get more money out of you? The tech can't possibly be that stupid....Deceitful yes, stupid...no. What's more, i think you have more of a chance of being struck by lightening than have all your switches die at once. Why would he try to insult your intelligence? Jerk!
Old 10-10-11, 10:20 AM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Battery Change

Did you get anything in writing after your battery change? If you did. Thats what I would send to Lexus customer service.
Old 10-10-11, 11:35 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

My SA would have had that tech's head on a chopping block. Wait, she would have never let him touch my RX in the first place. Make sure you fill out the survey. That'll get their attention real fast.
Old 10-10-11, 11:58 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Most of the time the customer does not see or speak to the service tech. Service writers interface with the customers and they can make it appear that they are the service tech.

Salim
Old 10-11-11, 08:05 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Just realized that the right rear door window does not open from drivers position (all others work OK) at all but works from the door switch. Anyone know what is causing this everything was reset when battery was changed I watched it done.
Old 10-12-11, 03:53 AM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Reset

Originally Posted by herbvdh
Just realized that the right rear door window does not open from drivers position (all others work OK) at all but works from the door switch. Anyone know what is causing this everything was reset when battery was changed I watched it done.
Try to do it agian.

The replacement of the battery requires that these things be reinitialized. The instructions are in your manual but briefly you can do the following.

Go to each window and hold the button down while the window lowers and closes. This should reset the windows.

For the roof, press and hold the tilt button while the roof tilts open and closed, slides open and closed. Release the button and it should be reset.

For the rear hatch open it and close it manually.

Quick Reply: Electrical Malfunctions with New Battery