RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-11, 06:28 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

This is getting very frustrating. I was planning on getting the Continental DWS but they are on back order until April. My 2nd choice was the Michelin Latitude Tour HP but they are not available in the 2nd gen RX size. The non HP is available but is not V rated. We need tires now so I bought some used Michelin S8s to use for the next 6-12 months until something better is available.
Old 11-21-11, 08:33 AM
Kendig
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When we bought our cpo 2007 rx400h, the dealer insisted the hankook's he'd put on it were as good as the oem michelins. Yeah, sure. Well, they got noisy soon, and wore out quickly.

We'd had the Comfortreds for the last 30k miles we put on our Chrysler minivan before we traded it in on the rx, and liked them for ride and quiet. So, we put a set on the rx a couple thousand miles ago. So far, they are just as good as we remembered them being.
Old 11-21-11, 09:17 PM
Fewman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been looking for about a week now and found GoodYear Assurance Comfortred Tourer's (235/55-18) in stock/store price at Sears for $173/ea, before rebate.

Best price I found so far...I think I'll ****** a set before the $80 rebate expires early December...
Old 11-21-11, 09:48 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by smassey321
This is getting very frustrating. I was planning on getting the Continental DWS but they are on back order until April. My 2nd choice was the Michelin Latitude Tour HP but they are not available in the 2nd gen RX size. The non HP is available but is not V rated. We need tires now so I bought some used Michelin S8s to use for the next 6-12 months until something better is available.
Onlinetires.com and tirerack.com seem to have them in stock?
Old 11-21-11, 10:12 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by pauljcl
Onlinetires.com and tirerack.com seem to have them in stock?
TireRack is out of stock at all warehouses. See attached.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices-continental-dws.png  
Old 11-21-11, 10:20 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Really need a "Z" rated tire? The General G-MAX AS-03 seems to be the only other in that category. Plenty "V" rated to choose from though. Since you do not seem to mind dropping a few hundred per tire, any thoughts about the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....0&autoModClar=

Last edited by RX330inFL; 11-21-11 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-21-11, 10:27 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Costco is also running a special on Bridgestone tires through the end of the month. Not sure if this is available elsewhere.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices-costco.png  
Old 11-22-11, 08:17 AM
shoebopper
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ponied up for the Goodyear ComfortTred Assurance touring tires a couple of weeks ago at Sears. $173 per tire, getting a $160 rebate cause of using my Sears card. I couldn't find a better deal anywhere.
Old 12-10-11, 08:39 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

While getting my used set of S8s installed I talked to quite a few tire shops (not all shops will install used tires so I had to go to a few). All of them agreed that the S8s are not so good. All of did say that the Michelin Latitude Tour HP would be better for my needs (very quiet with high speed stability). I have emailed Michelin to ask if they will ever make the HP in our size. There reply was not now but they would consider it. Maybe if others email them that will speed things up. Hopefully they will replace the S8 with the HPs .
Old 12-10-11, 12:09 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

While getting my used set of S8s installed I talked to quite a few tire shops (not all shops will install used tires so I had to go to a few). All of them agreed that the S8s are not so good. All of did say that the Michelin Latitude Tour HP would be better for my needs (very quiet with high speed stability). I have emailed Michelin to ask if they will ever make the HP in our size. There reply was not now but they would consider it. Maybe if others email them that will speed things up. Hopefully they will replace the S8 with the HPs .
The Nov. issue of Consumer Reports lists their ratings on SUV and pick-up tires.
Among those with long tread life, the Michelins LTX M/S, the X Radial LT, and the Latitude Tour take the first three places in thqt order, followed by Cooper Discoverer A/T, Michelin LTX A/T and Hankook Dynapro ATM. Otherwise, 'for most weather conditions', the Contiental CrossContact LX20 EcoPlus, the Michelin Latritude Tour HP, and the two Kumho's, the Road Venture AT KL78 and KL61 are the top 4.
Old 12-10-11, 12:53 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

The Nov. issue of Consumer Reports lists their ratings on SUV and pick-up tires.
Among those with long tread life, the Michelins LTX M/S, the X Radial LT, and the Latitude Tour take the first three places in thqt order, followed by Cooper Discoverer A/T, Michelin LTX A/T and Hankook Dynapro ATM. Otherwise, 'for most weather conditions', the Contiental CrossContact LX20 EcoPlus, the Michelin Latritude Tour HP, and the two Kumho's, the Road Venture AT KL78 and KL61 are the top 4.
Of course, many of those are not available in sizes or are not appropriate for our RX's.

While I respect the work that CR does I would temper that information with additional data from TireRack reviews and surveys, especially those from individuals with the same vehicle as myself. Then, of course, would be input from individuals here at CL. Think that provides a wider range of testing scenarios and points of view.

Does not mean you need to purchase from TireRack, however, it makes for a good reference source.
Old 12-10-11, 09:14 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Of course, many of those are not available in sizes or are not appropriate for our RX's.

While I respect the work that CR does I would temper that information with additional data from TireRack reviews and surveys, especially those from individuals with the same vehicle as myself. Then, of course, would be input from individuals here at CL. Think that provides a wider range of testing scenarios and points of view.

Does not mean you need to purchase from TireRack, however, it makes for a good reference source.
I quite agree with all your points. I was not trying to 'impose' CR's point of view, but I just thought it would be of interest.
Old 12-10-11, 09:38 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

I quite agree with all your points. I was not trying to 'impose' CR's point of view, but I just thought it would be of interest.
Sorry, was not my intention. I actually have an account to view their content online, plus LexisNexis for searching past copies.

Time to leave PA and head back home to FL and some better weather.
Old 12-11-11, 06:45 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Sorry, was not my intention. I actually have an account to view their content online, plus LexisNexis for searching past copies.

Time to leave PA and head back home to FL and some better weather.
I'm sure you will find it better here than in PA. I'm just back from LA and Las Vegas, and I was amazed at how cold it was there...
Old 02-10-12, 01:53 PM
shikbas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cdnewton
Love the ComforTred touring on our RX. In our experience, much better ride than the Alenza.
Please tell me your impression now with these tires,I have the allenzas not installed yet ,,may be exchange to the comforttreds

Quick Reply: Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices